OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:30:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell?  (Read 5180 times) Average Rating: 0
xls
Banned

« on: July 24, 2005, 02:50:22 AM »

Caption from this christian site
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/greek_eastern_orthodox.htm
" The Greek Eastern Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell.  They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.  This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

this so called christian says this
"Religion is the WORST thing that has ever happened to this world; Countless Billions of souls have been doomed to hell by false religion.  Learn what the Bible has to say on the matter.  We expose many false religions...not to be unkind...but because the truth has been hidden from the world's masses.  "
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/accepting_other_religions.htm

Someone need to inform him.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 03:10:06 AM »

[
They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven. This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

Isn't this what Luther, Calvin and the rest of the so-called "reformers" were spouting so what's new?  Let them talk all they want, we don't care.
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 03:50:31 AM »

Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell?

YES! We came straight out of pits of hell! (1Pet 3,18-20.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 04:06:22 AM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 09:20:40 AM »

Blah, Blah, Blah....Just more anti-Orthodox propaganda.  Guys if this site is run by who I think it is, most people take what they say with a grain of salt.  I believe the site is run by an Independent Fundamental Baptist group.  The IFB's are very extreme (I know, as I was one of them).  They believe that the KJV is the only true Bible and all others are Perversions from Hell.  They think they are the only ones going to heaven (heck, when I converted to them from the Southern Baptist Church, I had to be rebaptized...),  They hate alcohol, smoking, Contemporary Christian Music, any music that is not Baptist Hymns.  These guys aren't to be taken seriously.  They are a small fringe group who have some very weird ideas.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »

If anyone here is honestly persuaded by (or concerned about) something that they read there, let us know. Otherwise, I'm not sure that it's worth the time it would take to refute it.
czzham
...at work in the sonic Monastery...

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »

I visited their webby. Uggh. They call our Patriarchs "popes," our Holy Icons "idols," and seem to have pics of a "skull-and-bones" on some of our Crosses. The position of the "skull-and-bones" thingies, however, seem to be beneath Christ's Feet, thus signifying (to me, anyway) "trampling down Death by death." Also, I must confess, the "pyramid-on-iconostasis" photo seems a little strange to me: could it be a retouched photo?
Maybe we should get a lawyer...

Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

I visited their webby. Uggh. They call our Patriarchs "popes," our Holy Icons "idols," and seem to have pics of a "skull-and-bones" on some of our Crosses. The position of the "skull-and-bones" thingies, however, seem to be beneath Christ's Feet, thus signifying (to me, anyway) "trampling down Death by death." Also, I must confess, the "pyramid-on-iconostasis" photo seems a little strange to me: could it be a retouched photo?

Don't the skull and bones signify "Golgath", or the "The Place of Skull" as mentioned in Scripture?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:16:24 PM »

Yes; they're a rebus for Golgotha.

Not sure about that pyramid thing, but in Greece, an iconostasis isn't considered complete with the All-seeing Eye of God above the Royal Doors.

Of course, the Protestant know-nothings won't be moved by rational explanations.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 05:30:40 PM »

Not sure about that pyramid thing, but in Greece, an iconostasis isn't considered complete with the All-seeing Eye of God above the Royal Doors.

Of course, the Protestant know-nothings won't be moved by rational explanations.

What? An 'all-seeing eye' in an Orthodox Church?!? Really?

Can you show us a photo of such a thing?

That symbol is Masonic/Kabbalistic. Freemasonry has been condemned by Orthodoxy.

In my opinion, a Masonic 'all-seeing eye' has no place in an Orthodox Church... let alone on the iconostasis!

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »

http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/greece/mount_athos.html
http://www.antiochianarch.org.au/OrthodoxSymbolism.aspx

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »

That symbol is Masonic/Kabbalistic. Freemasonry has been condemned by Orthodoxy.

In my opinion, a Masonic 'all-seeing eye' has no place in an Orthodox Church... let alone on the iconostasis!

Searching for images is difficult considering all the know-nothings who are all convinced that the Great Seal is full of masonic imagery in spite of all evidence to the contrary. But even masonic sources say that they got it from the seal. From what I gather it's a very common symbol in central European churches. It is generally shown in a triangle, of course, as a symbol of the Trinity.

If it is uncommon in Orthodox iconography, that would perhaps be due to resistance to use of allegorical figures (e.g. the Lamb of God is extremely common in the west and hardly seen in the east).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

Perhaps a bit quick to condemn an accepted symbol of Orthodoxy?  Apart from the websites listed above, I have seen an all-seeing eye on an iconostasis as well. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »

Freemasonry claims the All-seeing Eye in a triangle goes back to the Eye of Horus, which may well be; the symbol is very ancient, and used in a variety of religions.  Protestants of a certain ilk claim that it is occult.  What is certain is that the symbol predates the emergence of organized Freemasonry by several centuries.  The question, then, is about the validity of the claim.

There are Protestants of a certain ilk who will claim that anything used by occult groups, regardless of its origin, is ever thereafter tainted, and not to be used by Christians.  Their claim that Orthodoxy is nothing but warmed-over Paganism goes right back to--ready for this one?--Adolf von Harnack!  Yeah, the father of modern higher Biblical criticism!  They wouldn't be caught dead citing Harnack for anything else but that!

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Cognomen!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »

Perhaps a bit quick to condemn an accepted symbol of Orthodoxy?  Apart from the websites listed above, I have seen an all-seeing eye on an iconostasis as well. 

Let's not forget that the "all-seeing eye" is not only depicted in Orthodox churches, but is also present in prayer.  The final priest's prayer of the Matins (at the bowing of heads):

"Κύριε, άγιε, ο εν υψηλοίς κατοικών καί τά ταπεινά εφορών καί τώ παντεφόρω σου όμματι επιβλέπων επί πάσαν τήν κτίσιν..."

"Lord, Holy (One), who dwells in (the) heights and regards the humble and with your all-seeing eye look over/behold all creation..."

Which is seemingly rooted in Ps 32/33:18 -

ιδού οι οφθαλμοί Κυρίου επί τούς φοβουμένους αυτόν τούς ελπίζοντας επί τό έλεος αυτού

Behold, the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:19:05 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »

If it is uncommon in Orthodox iconography, that would perhaps be due to resistance to use of allegorical figures (e.g. the Lamb of God is extremely common in the west and hardly seen in the east).

The major resistance is to allegorical figures of Christ, versus depictions of Him as a man.  The lamb is out, but depicting Him carrying a lamb is ok (even though it likely never happened).  Depicting the Trinity as the Ancient of Days, Christ, and the dove is (at least at present) out, while the hospitality of Abraham is in - clearly symbolic, since (a) we don't believe that the Father became incarnate in any form, and (b) since only 1 of the angels was called "Lord."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »

Freemasonry claims the All-seeing Eye in a triangle goes back to the Eye of Horus, which may well be; the symbol is very ancient, and used in a variety of religions.  Protestants of a certain ilk claim that it is occult.  What is certain is that the symbol predates the emergence of organized Freemasonry by several centuries.

I have yet to see a freemasonry site claim this; what I find is a lot of other people claiming that they say this, and I have found freemasons who flatly state that freemasonry's use comes from the Great Seal, period.

The eye of Horus does not appear in a triangle or for that matter in any other shape; it sometimes appears as the eye of other deities, and it is also identified with/as the goddess Wadjet. One sees pendants in which the eye is framed by a vulture and a cobra (symbolizing the union of the two Egypts, but the cobra in this context also represents Wadjet-- if you want a perfectly systematic religion, Egypt is not the place to go) and the whole thing may then rest on a bar shape, but I didn't find any ancient example involving a triangle.

Every old example with the eye in a triangle that I've seen is emphatically Christian.
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:04 AM »

Thanks for your clarification.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »

Don't the skull and bones signify "Golgath", or the "The Place of Skull" as mentioned in Scripture?

According to some early fathers, there was a Jewish legend that Noah buried Adam's skull next to Zion, and hence the place was called "Place of the Skull." This is the skull that is depicted in the icon, and the Lord's blood is dripping down from the cross and purifying it.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Cognomen!

Thank you very much, Salpy!   

I am pleased to have found it and hope to contribute.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »

lolwut? They boldly proclaim "The Greek Eastern Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell.  They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.  This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

Then dont even go into detail as to why? Surely they dont think that b/c we believe in the sacraments we are going to hell.

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »

lolwut? They boldly proclaim "The Greek Eastern Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell.  They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.  This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

Then dont even go into detail as to why? Surely they dont think that b/c we believe in the sacraments we are going to hell.

Yes, they do think that.  To them, anything that's like Roman Catholicism in any way, shape, or form, is the Devil's lie--never mind the considerable theological distinctions between East and West, which fly right over their heads.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:42:55 PM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
watch and pray.

Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »

lolwut? They boldly proclaim "The Greek Eastern Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell.  They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.  This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

Yes, they do think that.  To them, anything that's like Roman Catholicism in any way, shape, or form, is the Devil's lie--never mind the considerable theological distinctions between East and West, which fly right over their heads.

That is retarded. This guy says that the only way to heaven is to accept Jesus. *Ask him to save you*. I know personally I say the Jesus prayer something like 50 times in a day sometimes. So how is doing something extra like the sacraments going to send you to hell?

This guys logic is all sorts of messed up.

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »

Caption from this christian site
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/greek_eastern_orthodox.htm
" The Greek Eastern Orthodox Religion is straight out of the pits of hell.  They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.  This is the same damnable heresy which Roman Catholicism teaches."

this so called christian says this
"Religion is the WORST thing that has ever happened to this world; Countless Billions of souls have been doomed to hell by false religion.  Learn what the Bible has to say on the matter.  We expose many false religions...not to be unkind...but because the truth has been hidden from the world's masses.  "
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/accepting_other_religions.htm

Someone need to inform him.

I've heard of "drive-by shootings",I guess you call this one "drive-by apologetics"!!!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

I wonder what he'd say if we pointed out that the sacraments (Eucharist, baptism, etc.) are in the life of Christ as well.   Shocked  I always have to scratch my head as to why so-called 'Bible-believers' have a problem with the sacraments-- we are just living out the life of Christ.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 03:05:44 AM »

Depicting the Trinity as the Ancient of Days, Christ, and the dove is (at least at present) out,

In all the churches which I know personally, Serbian, Russian, Greek and Romanian, the Old Testament Trinity is IN.  It is in all their churches, on the walls as a fresco, on panel icons, on the iconostasia, etc....

Here is a very nice one in the heartland of the Russian Orthodox Church in America - the monastery of Jordanville  (the stand on the right.)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »

That is a very beautiful iconostasis.   Smiley

czzham
...at work in the sonic Monastery...

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »

That is a very beautiful iconostasis.   Smiley

Indeed, it is.

Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.
Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »

This is so funny when protestants claim this! Their religion is created by Martin Luther, and the two pillars of protestantism, sola fide and sola scriptura are invented and were never believed before the 16th century. Anyone remember what happened to Korah in Num 16 when he rebelled against Moses and Aaron saying that all are holy in the congregation, meaning there is no difference between a priest and the congregation? God killed him. Oddly enough Martin Luther states the same thing! Protestants are screwy people, they invent their religion and attack everyone else. There are over 40,000 denominations, all conflicted in their beliefs and yet we are supposed to believe they are right.

Protestantism is heresy. The sacraments are in scripture, and the belief that the bible is sole authority, is not. In fact Christ states that: "you search the scripture, for in them you think you have eternal life." Mt. 5:39
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »

The sacraments are in scripture, and the belief that the bible is sole authority, is not. In fact Christ states that: "you search the scripture, for in them you think you have eternal life." Mt. 5:39

I did not remember any passage like this on the Sermon on the Mount, so I checked. It's actually Jn. 5:39, not Matt. 5:39. Now that (a mixed up address) in itself is no big deal. What I take issue with is your taking that verse out of context, to the point that you dishonestly chopped off the end of the 39th verse (even adding a period after "life" in your post!), which changes the tone of the passage:

38And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

The point of the passage is that it's a good thing to search the Scriptures and think that they have life in them, at least insofar as they point to Jesus Christ and reveal the will of God. This is made clear by many of the (by my count) twenty-four other references to Scripture in the Gospels. These include such passages as:

"Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?" (Matt. 21:42)

"And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (Lk. 24:27)

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (Jn. 7:38)

Here are the other passages... and not a single one supports your claim. In fact, I'm not quite sure that I understand how you thought Jn. 5:39 supported your claim. It doesn't say anything about the folly of making a single source of information your only authority. Now if you had invoked 2 Thes. 2:15, that'd be a different story.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:28:53 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »

Surely they dont think that b/c we believe in the sacraments we are going to hell.

Yes, they do think that.  

I have no desire to defend their website, nor what they write, nor the manner in which they write it. But I suspect they think you are going to hell not because you believe in the sacraments, but because (as they assume) you trust in them for salvation, and not in Christ himself. And I dare say there are plenty of nominal Orthodox, as there are plenty of Baptists, who do exactly that without "suffering the faith" for themselves. You would probably find that these Baptists - if such they are - say exactly the same things about people who, they believe, trust in their baptism and membership in a Baptist church, and not in Christ himself. That there are plenty of such Baptists, I have little doubt, and I probably preach to them in similar vein, though not, perhaps, in the style of the quoted website.

They also have a problem with your having more than the two sacraments you share in common with us (despite our different interpretations of them).

And finally, I think they are using the word religion in a special sense, to mean religiosity, or religious acts devoid of inner spiriual life - "having the form of religion but denying the power thereof." This use of the term is quite common among Evangelicals, who say we have not religion, but life. It is part of the Evangelical dialect.

I am not defending or opposing what they say - I'm only trying to translate it into terms in which you might at least better understand what they are trying to say. I have no wish either to read or to comment on the website itself.

And - if I may so - some of the above posts are no less bathed in divine grace than the website they refer to!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:44:22 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

Surely they dont think that b/c we believe in the sacraments we are going to hell.

Yes, they do think that.  

I have no desire to defend their website, nor what they write, nor the manner in which they write it. But I suspect they think you are going to hell not because you believe in the sacraments, but because (as they assume) you trust in them for salvation, and not in Christ himself. And I dare say there are plenty of nominal Orthodox, as there are plenty of Baptists, who do exactly that without "suffering the faith" for themselves. You would probably find that these Baptists - if such they are - say exactly the same things about people who, they believe, trust in their baptism and membership in a Baptist church, and not in Christ himself. That there are plenty of such Baptists, I have little doubt, and I probably preach to them in similar vein, though not, perhaps, in the style of the quoted website.

They also have a problem with your having more than the two sacraments you share in common with us (despite our different interpretations of them).

And finally, I think they are using the word religion in a special sense, to mean religiosity, or religious acts devoid of inner spiriual life - "having the form of religion but denying the power thereof." This use of the term is quite common among Evangelicals, who say we have not religion, but life. It is part of the Evangelical dialect.

I am not defending or opposing what they say - I'm only trying to translate it into terms in which you might at least better understand what they are trying to say. I have no wish either to read or to comment on the website itself.

And - if I may so - some of the above posts are no less bathed in divine grace than the website they refer to!

You almost make that website look rational.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

Blah, Blah, Blah....Just more anti-Orthodox propaganda.  Guys if this site is run by who I think it is, most people take what they say with a grain of salt.  I believe the site is run by an Independent Fundamental Baptist group.  The IFB's are very extreme (I know, as I was one of them).  They believe that the KJV is the only true Bible and all others are Perversions from Hell.  They think they are the only ones going to heaven (heck, when I converted to them from the Southern Baptist Church, I had to be rebaptized...),  They hate alcohol, smoking, Contemporary Christian Music, any music that is not Baptist Hymns.  These guys aren't to be taken seriously.  They are a small fringe group who have some very weird ideas.

Do you think they should be hospitalized.? I say you betcha!

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »

well, Muslims think that as well about christianity altogether. Why are you getting stuck on one denomination.?
they are entitled to believe their nonsense. We are entitled to believe ours.

“God has no religion.”
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

Tweety, are you Rafa or l0st or somebody like that? You remind me of them.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

Every time someone resurrects one of these old threads everyone is reminded what a jerk I am! Stop it!  angel
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »

Every time someone resurrects one of these old threads everyone is reminded what a jerk I am! Stop it!  angel

Your resurrect them too  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:39:41 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »

Every time someone resurrects one of these old threads everyone is reminded what a jerk I am! Stop it!  angel

Your resurrect them too  Roll Eyes

Strong unaware.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »

Lemme guess

"The 2nd Commandment says not to worship idols, the Orthodox pray to them fancy pictures! How do you explain that? hyuk hyuk hur!"

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

[
They teach that performing the seven sacraments are absolutely essential to go to heaven.

are they not actually?

“God has no religion.”
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 08:12:30 PM »

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

so the sacraments aren't an absolute necessity?

“God has no religion.”
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

When invited to a feast, do you stick with the portions that are the bare necessities? Our God is generous in His distribution of Grace, why wouldn't we wish to partake of Him fully?

For most of us, the sacraments are indeed necessary- as necessary as more than the mere "necessities" are to any man's sanity. For a very few God grants a greater economy- the baptism they receive is baptism by blood and they participate in the Eucharist by offering up their own body and blood to the Lord. They bypass the need for clergy and confession by being elevated to the rank of martyr.

No one would say the martyr converted at the very trial of another martyr and condemned upon this new confession is not part of the Church because they did not receive a triple immersion baptism, Chrismation, Confession, and Communion before being killed. But I doubt we're in a hurry to line up to take their way.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »

Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.  - John 6:53
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »

Tweety, what is your deal with speaking to people from the past? Do you not see the date on the posts?

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Tags: jesus-is-savior.com 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: