OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: release and obtain the (Spiritual) Power of God through fast  (Read 388 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 05, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »

Some Charistmatic and pentecostal pastor/ leader teach that we have to fast in order to release and obtain the (Spiritual) Power of God . Do Orthodox Christian agree with it?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:47:32 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »

If I have learned nothing else over the years, it is words cause confusion.  I have seen, and been in, arguments over word usage and people never realize, until later, they are essentially saying the same thing or thought someone was saying something they were not.  With that, I ask you to expound on your question to prevent an incorrect response due to a misunderstanding.   
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »

Dear Walter,

Prayer, fasting and almsgiving are important spiritual disciplines for Orthodox Christians.  They work together to help prepare us for communion with God.  However, prayer, fasting and almsgiving do not automatically bring divine gifts and are not done with the expectation of receiving grace.  

If I were to fast and expect to receive a spiritual gift, I might face the temptation of pride, or  I might imagine that I had divine powers.  In reality, I would be growing farther away from God.  

When we perform spiritual disciplines in accordance with the teaching of the Church and under the supervision of a spiritual father, we avoid thinking more highly of ourselves than we ought.  

Love, elephant
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »

If I have learned nothing else over the years, it is words cause confusion.  I have seen, and been in, arguments over word usage and people never realize, until later, they are essentially saying the same thing or thought someone was saying something they were not.  With that, I ask you to expound on your question to prevent an incorrect response due to a misunderstanding.  

Fast for more God's power:
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/do-you-ever-fast-for-more-of-gods-power

Do Orthodox christians agree it?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:17:19 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »

Release our spiritual power through fast and prayer/ Release the power within us or our spirit through fast and prayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atfgX6XplSY&playnext=1&list=PL2F19EB9B7BCB02A2&feature=results_video

Release the power of God through fasting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkiUrW-AW4&playnext=1&list=PL7AE797452CA72170&feature=results_video

Do orthodox Christian agree with all these fasting teaching?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:27:02 AM by walter1234 » Logged
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

No. We fast to help us pray, and to realize our frailty and mortality.

In other words, he fully expected that fasting would be part of our spiritual warfare when he was taken away from us.

This is accurate, and there are some nuggets of truth in that article. But the idea that God gives us spiritual power in exchange for fasting is not true. A God-pleasing fast will give us strength, but in the sense that we strengthen our muscles through exercise. It's not some kind of reward system.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:27:20 AM by age234 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:50 AM »

Some Charistmatic and pentecostal pastor/ leader teach that we have to fast in order to release and obtain the (Spiritual) Power of God . Do Orthodox Christian agree with it?

Not really. Charismatics are wackos. We fast first of all to teach ourselves discipline. No one can do anything to "release and obtain the (spiritual) power of God." God works when and how he wants to. If one wants God's help, one should pray. But God is not a magic vending machine. The answer may be "no" or "not now" or "my grace is sufficient for you."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: