Author Topic: Stoic Quotable Quotes  (Read 564 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Stoic Quotable Quotes
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
Quote from: Ἐπίκτητος
Marvel not that the animals other than man have furnished them, ready prepared by nature, what pertains to their bodily needs — not merely food and drink, but also a bed to lie on — and that they have no need of shoes or bedding or clothing, while we are in need of all these things. Why, consider what it would be for us to have to take thought not merely for ourselves, but also for them! But, as it is, we first forbear to give thanks for these beasts because we do not have to bestow on them the same care we require ourselves, and then we proceed to complain against God on our own account! Yet, by Zeus and the gods, one single gift of nature would suffice to make a man who is reverent and grateful perceive the providence of God. Do not talk to me now of great matters: Take the mere facts that milk is produced from grass, and cheese from milk, and that wool grows from skin — who is it that has created or devised these things? ‘No one,’ somebody says. O the depth of man’s stupidity and shamelessness!

Why, if we had sense, ought we to be doing anything else, publicly and privately, than hymning and praising the Deity and rehearsing his benefits? Ought we not, as we dig and plow and eat, to sing the praise of God? ‘Great is God, who has furnished us these instruments to till the earth. Great is God, who has given us hands, and power to swallow, and a belly, and power to grow unconsciously, and to breathe while asleep.’ Thus we ought to sing on every occasion, and above all to sing the greatest and divinest hymn: that God has given us the faculty to comprehend these things and to follow the path of reason. If I were a nightingale, I would sing as a nightingale; if a swan, as a swan. I must be singing hymns of praise to God. This is my task; I do it; I will not desert this post, and I invite you to join me in the same song.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Stoic Quotable Quotes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
Quote from: Ibid.
Why do heads of grain grow? Is it not so they ripen? But when they ripen, is it not so they may be harvested? since they do not grow for themselves alone. If they had feeling, they might pray that they never be harvested, but never to be harvested is a condemnation of heads of grain. Similarly, I want you to realize that in the case of humans it would be a curse never to die: it would be like never ripening, never being harvested.

Specifically, these quotes are from Arrian's Discourses of Epictetus.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »

That's not a monk in my avatar.

Wait, what thread am I in?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:29:36 PM by mcarmichael »
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.

"Learn meditation." - Antonious Nikolas

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:34:02 PM »

You have your answer, but do you know the question?

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »

You have your answer, but do you know the question?
[/quote]

I think so.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »

What bottle were you in?
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »

What bottle were you in?

I was so tickled that I got the search function to work, that I didn't read the title.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:21:23 PM by mcarmichael »