Author Topic: Quotable Quotes from members of the Society of Friends  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Quotable Quotes from members of the Society of Friends
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »
By now you know the drill ...
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Quotable Quotes from members of the Society of Friends
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
What does George Fox say?

http://youtu.be/PhsvqbCIaAs

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
This reminds me of the late Fr. Thomas Hopko's podcast of the "Names of Jesus", describing Jesus as "Friend".  One of my favorite quotes where he talks with a Protestant friend who did not want to call priests "Father".
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Quote from: Collection of Letters of Local Memories of Quaker Beginnings in Northwestern England
And Thomas Lawson priest of Rampside Chapel hearing that G.F. had been at Auldenham steeplehouse, the first day aforesaid in the morning said to his congregation when their forenoon sermon was ended that he was credibly informed that G.F. purposed to be at their Chapel the afternoon unto whom he purposed to resign his place; the said Thomas Lawson went a mile to meet the said G.F. and conducted him to his chapel at Rampside aforesaid and offered him his pulpit to preach in, which the said G.F. refused, but stood upon a form, and livingly declared and held forth the way of salvation to the people for about three hours’ space; and when he came forth into the yard, some of the people would have laid violent hands upon him, but the said Thos. Lawson forbade them, saying he was greatly satisfied with G.F.’s preaching; and said if our worship and doctrine cannot be maintained without fear and violence, ’tis time to leave it. So the people were quieted and an old woman aged 80 years said she never heard such good doctrine out of any black coat all the days of her life. And the said Thos. Lawson soon after laid down his public ministry, being satisfied that the call of man made not a minister of Christ.

G.F. after he had preached the Gospel at Ulverston steeplehouse as aforesaid at which time he was only haled out the second time when he came upon a lecture day, one John Sawrey, then called a justice of peace, called to the officers and rude multitude to have him out, and after they had pulled him out into the yard the said Jo. Sawrey cried “away with him,” whereupon the rude multitude fell upon him, and beat him with forks and staffs and threw stones at him, thrusting, pulling and pushing him till they had haled him to the common or moss side and then they knocked him down with clubs and staffs. But the said G.F. soon got up again and held forth his hands to the people exhorting them to more sobriety and one of the rude multitude struck him over the back of the hand with a long cut staff and wounded and bruised him so sorely that his fingers felt as if they were broken, and his arms and other parts of his body remained black with the blows, knocks and bruises for many days after. And several other Friends that were with G.F. and accompanied him were beaten also. And Thos. Salthouse had his head broken and one William Pool’s head was broken; and James Lancaster’s coat was pulled off his back and torn in pieces; and several other Friends were beaten and bruised at the same time. And in their fury and madness they threw Judge Fell’s only son George Fell into the water, who only stood by the Friends that were so abused. And when some Friends would have had G.F. to have gone away to Swarthmoor on the back side of the town aforesaid, the said G.F. refused to do, but came back again through the town and market then held. And when the rude multitude saw him, they cried, “A fox, a fox,” and began to be rude again; but there was a soldier, one Leonard Pearson, who having seen or heard these former barbarous usages of him, drew his sword and said “let me see whether any dog in the market dare catch this Fox,” whereupon G.F. passed quietly through the market, none daring then to lay violent hands on him, and so he went up to Swarthmoor.

And sometime after, G.F., with James Nayler, went to the Island of Walney to preach the Gospel. And then James Lancaster fetched them out in a boat, and they had no sooner landed upon the island but the inhabitants came with clubs and staffs of purpose to have destroyed G.F., and fell upon him and knocked him down. And the said James Lancaster, seeing their cruelty and wicked intentions, lay along upon G.F. to save him from their blows, crying out bitterly, “What, will you kill this good man that came in love to your souls?” And they pushed at him with pitchforks and poles and the women threw stones at him when they could find or spy a place bare to hit him and miss the aforesaid Ja. Lancaster that lay upon him to defend him from their blows and stones. And at last they pulled James Lancaster by the leg to get him off him, and so sprained one of his thighs in pulling of him, as he felt the strain and hurts thereof a long time after. And then the said James Lancaster desired to let them go with their lives, and they should take all he had amongst them. And then G.F. got up, and they thrust him towards the sea with intent to have drowned him. And the boat which brought them over, being near, James Lancaster put G.F. into it and then threw it off into the water and they took up a fishing pole of the said James Lancaster about 6 or 7 yards long, and struck again at G.F. but missed him. And when they were got out of the reach of the pole, they again threw stones at them; and the said James Lancaster stood up betwixt G.F. and them to defend him from the stones, and some of the stones lit on James Lancaster’s cheek and made it bleed; and then they rowed off by the seaside to seek for James Nayler, who had walked off into the island whilst they were beating G.F. as aforesaid, being unknown to them. But they after perceiving he was a Quaker also, they hunted him out, and fell upon him, and with clubs and staffs beat him sorely also.

(G.F. is Society founder George Fox.)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »
Woe to the Bloody town of Litchfield.... ~G.F.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 01:04:23 PM »
Nothing is better for thee, than me. - Quaker Man
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
I think I'll just put this old blog entry here as-is, since it has quite a few quotes in it and is overall fairly illuminating of Society foundings.

[Another blogger] observed wryly in a comment upon an earlier entry that George Fox was not always well-received. Here are some of his manners as I’ve found them described in the very early reports.

“[He would] fix his eyes earnestly on such strangers as came into his company, a good while together, as though he would look them through. If anyone please to look on him steadfastly again, it is his manner … to outstare them. His followers say he can outlook any man, and that he does it to know what is in them … . …

“It is another of his customs to talk and hold them awhile by the hand, and it is confidently reported that … though some of them before their coming to him did exceedingly disaffect both him and his [teachings] even to hatred, and though they stayed but a while with him … yet so strangely have they been wrought upon and altered that they have been all on the sudden earnest, fierce … both for it and him.”

One of Mr. Fox’s favorite openings was to ask a person whether he were a sinner. Although the church taught that the infant baptism and holy communion vouchsafed by the state-appointed priests purified Englishmen, relieving them of fear of hellfire, still many an honest person would reply that he was a sinner and add that no man cannot be. To this Mr. Fox would rattle off several scriptures: “As He is, so are we in this present world,” “The saints are made the righteousness of God,” “The saints are one in the Father and the Son,” and that all teaching must be given to bring the saints “to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ”.

If his subject protested that the communion cup washed away his sin, Mr. Fox would call him “a sot” — a drunkard — and ask him whether a shot of wine would not rather add to than erase his evil deeds?

The story is told of an elderly Friend who had gotten the knack of some of Mr. Fox’s repartee. A man in search of a priest’s funeral procession asked her whether she had seen a coffin pass that way. She replied, “I saw a company of heathen go to bury a dead dog.”

He continually called those around him, even his enemies and jailers, “dear heart” and “friend”.

When questioned, Mr. Fox was patient, and peppered his replies with “If God should keep me in the same mind as now,” “As far as I am grown up in the Word now,” and other humble sayings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 01:16:44 PM »
All,

Can we try to avoid posting longish quotes?  Link to them if you have to, but not everyone is interested in reading paragraphs and paragraphs.  Keep it short and concise in these threads if at all possible.  And give citations wherever possible. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Don't worry, Mor, that's all I had.

All quotes from the same source (Local Memories &c.), which can be read in Early Quaker Writings, Eerdmans Publishing.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:40:27 PM »
"True religion does not turn men out of the world but enables them to live better in it and excites their endeavours to mend it." William Penn, No Cross, No Crown (1682)

What follows is no doubt longer than the moderator would like, but a wonderful quote that nicely reveals the spirit of early (and many contemporary) Quakers. (I was a very active member of the Religious Society of Friends before joining the OCFinland and my partner still is a member.)

"And so he [George Fox] went on, and said, "That Christ was the Light of the world, and lighteth every man that cometh into the world; and that by this light they might be gathered to God," &c. I stood up in my pew, and wondered at his doctrine, for I had never heard such before. And then he went on, and opened the scriptures, and said, "The scriptures were the prophets' words, and Christ's and the apostles' words, and what, as they spoke, they enjoyed and possessed, and had it from the Lord": and said, "Then what had any to do with the scriptures, but as they came to the Spirit that gave them forth? You will say, 'Christ saith this, and the apostles say this;' but what canst thou say? Art thou a child of the Light, and hast thou walked in the Light, and what thou speakest, is it inwardly from God?" &c. This opened me so, that it cut me to the heart; and then I saw clearly we were all wrong. So I sat down in my pew again, and cried bitterly: and I cried in my spirit to the Lord, "We are all thieves; we are all thieves; we have taken the scriptures in words, and know nothing of them in ourselves." from "The testimony of Margaret [Fell] Fox concerning her late husband" in The Journal of George Fox (1694). [my italics]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:54:02 PM by FinnJames »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »
This reminds me of the late Fr. Thomas Hopko's podcast of the "Names of Jesus", describing Jesus as "Friend".  One of my favorite quotes where he talks with a Protestant friend who did not want to call priests "Father".

My mother ( to me) calls my Priest 'your pastor'

;)

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 04:27:06 PM »

;)

That's interesting, is she a Protestant? I thought your parents were Old Believers.

EDIT: Looking back through the other threads, I see that I remembered incorrectly. Molokans. I keep getting them and the priestless Old Believers mixed up. (One could argue that if the raskol hadn't happened, those later groups might not have arisen, though).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:28:44 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

;)

That's interesting, is she a Protestant? I thought your parents were Old Believers.

EDIT: Looking back through the other threads, I see that I remembered incorrectly. Molokans. I keep getting them and the priestless Old Believers mixed up. (One could argue that if the raskol hadn't happened, those later groups might not have arisen, though).

She left molokanism as a religion when she married outside the group. So then yes was a general Protestant of the Vineyard type

And whether the Raskol happened or not, there were other groups that left orthodoxy not left the OB.
The religious landscape of Russia during that period is bizarre and interesting. ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
Interesting that your mother was a Molokan; Molokanism is fascinating.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
They are just family to me. Not a sociology project. ;)

And seriously, don't believe 3/4 of what you read online about them. Every single person who writes content about them has an agenda for doing so. Most Molokans are not bothered with explaining themselves to anyone, so beware anyone who does. 

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
You have already heard that the Quakers date their epoch from Christ, who, according to them, was the first Quaker. Religion, say they, was corrupted almost immediately after His death, and remained in that state of corruption about sixteen hundred years.
Voltaire's hearsay quote by Quakers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:36:37 PM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
You have already heard that the Quakers date their epoch from Christ, who, according to them, was the first Quaker. Religion, say they, was corrupted almost immediately after His death, and remained in that state of corruption about sixteen hundred years.
Voltaire's hearsay quote by Quakers.

Oh is this how we're going to play the game?

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 05:21:24 AM »
An artist F/friend reminded me not to overlook Edward Hicks' painting(s) The Peaceable Kingdom

Sorry I don't have the skill to copy the image, but you can access it here:

http://www.worcesterart.org/collection/American/1934.65.html