OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 11:37:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 65661 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »

Tom Hanks on Great and Holy Friday 2012

Prince Charles with Athonite monks, who I believe has secretly converted to Orthodoxy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:27:43 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »

Prince Charles with Athonite monks, who I believe has secretly converted to Orthodoxy

There's no secret about the monks being Orthodox! Wink
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »

There's no secret about the monks being Orthodox! Wink

Monk: What's sweet and comes in a box at Easter

Prince: I dunno

Monk: The Queen Mum

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »

Tom Hanks on Great and Holy Friday 2012

Well he's sure not Catholic!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »

I remember hearing an interview with a member of the Byrds (I forget which one) about his Orthodox faith.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »

I remember hearing an interview with a member of the Byrds (I forget which one) about his Orthodox faith.
Chris Hillman

Lauryn Hill of Fugees and Lauryn Hill fame is reportedly Ethiopian Orthodox.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:55:53 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

Chris Hillman

Interview: http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/illuminedheart/turn_turn_turn
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »

Yup, that was the one.  Smiley

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »

Hahaha. Lauryn Hill of Lauryn Hill fame.

Probably the most famous Copt known in the West is former UN Secretary General is Boutros Boutros-Ghali, though according to Wiki we also have a number of internationally-known celebrity chefs: Christopher Maher (also an actor), Karine Bakhoum (also a judge on "Iron Chef America" TV program), and Michael Mina. Thanks Wiki! I have no idea who any of those people are, but I find it funny that Copts would be famous for cooking when we spend so much time fasting. Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

former UN Secretary General is Boutros Boutros-Ghali,

[ethnocentric/hick comment]

Why do those UN secretary guys always have strange names like that? I suppose Kofi Annan isn't as strange. But then along came Ban Ki-moon, which is open to a lot of jokes.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

Why do those UN secretary guys always have strange names like that? I suppose Kofi Annan isn't as strange. But then along came Ban Ki-moon, which is open to a lot of jokes.

Yeah, I can remember the situation with the Chinese pilot who got caught where he shouldn't have been. His name was Wang Wei (pronounced Wong Way).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »

Because of this and this and this.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »

Yeah, I can remember the situation with the Chinese pilot who got caught where he shouldn't have been. His name was Wang Wei (pronounced Wong Way).

I was going to post the Family Matters clip with "Waldo, you brought back the Wong kid!" but it doesn't seem to be online.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »

Comedian Demetri Martin is the son of a Greek Orthodox Priest, but is no longer practicing. He talks about religion some in this interview.

Zach Galifianakis was baptized Greek Orthodox but mostly attended a Presbetyrian Church as a child and has said "I grew up Greek Orthodox and I wish I knew more about the bible. But, I haven't really made my mind up about it. I think it's all mythology. It would be nice to believe in something, just in case. I mean, what do you have to lose? We can be all scientific about it, but just in case. I don't know. I'm still thinking about it. "

Hmmm ... I wonder if he read Blaise Pascal.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »

Comedian Demetri Martin is the son of a Greek Orthodox Priest, but is no longer practicing. He talks about religion some in this interview.

Zach Galifianakis was baptized Greek Orthodox but mostly attended a Presbetyrian Church as a child and has said "I grew up Greek Orthodox and I wish I knew more about the bible. But, I haven't really made my mind up about it. I think it's all mythology. It would be nice to believe in something, just in case. I mean, what do you have to lose? We can be all scientific about it, but just in case. I don't know. I'm still thinking about it. "

I've never understood why anyone would think Pascal's Wager is a useful tool in converting people (not that I think you've ever used it; but I saw quite a few Protestants bring it up to non-Christians...).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2012, 03:27:53 AM »

I've never understood why anyone would think Pascal's Wager is a useful tool in converting people (not that I think you've ever used it; but I saw quite a few Protestants bring it up to non-Christians...).
Have you heard of John von Neumann?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_von_Neumann
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »

No I've not; but don't worry, I've already been informed by two board members that Pascal's Wager is a part of a larger work that is worth a read, and I shouldn't have dismissed it so quickly.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »

No I've not; but don't worry, I've already been informed by two board members that Pascal's Wager is a part of a larger work that is worth a read, and I shouldn't have dismissed it so quickly.

Huh ... I wasn't aware of that, or perhaps just never thought about it.

doubtingthomas

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2012, 04:55:52 AM »

The Kardashian sisters and their brother are Armenian Orthodox. They give 10% of their assets each year to the Armenian Church.

Theotokos and St. John Forerunner:
Continually pray for us to the Pantocrator that he may show mercy
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

Forgive me for not reading through this entire thread.

I’m guessing someone has mentioned Troy Polamalu (NFL player Pittsburgh Steelers)?

All outward signs would suggest he is a devout Orthodox Christian and truly strives to live in Christ. I am a big time Steeler fan originally from the Pittsburgh area. Mr. Polamalu seems to be very well respected and spiritually influential amongst his teammates and fans.

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

You are forgiven, but you might try actually reading through the whole thread. Wink If you had, you would find that Troy Polamalu is known to be a practicing Orthodox Christian, together with his wife and two children.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »

You are forgiven, but you might try actually reading through the whole thread. Wink If you had, you would find that Troy Polamalu is known to be a practicing Orthodox Christian, together with his wife and two children.
Yes, I must work on my laziness!  Wink

I assumed (hoped) he had been mentioned but sometimes I think I just like to hear myself talk. As well as mention my beloved Steelers!! Something else I need to work on!

Yea, I am also aware of his family. Wonderful people is the reputation in Pittsburgh. It was actually a sports article about him that led to me begin learning more of Orthodoxy. Well, then more so John Wesley's reverence and respect toward the Orthodox Church and early Church Fathers. I wonder how many others have been influenced in such way. 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »

Yes.  Troy's name was mentioned in an earlier post...
woops. missed it. laugh
Um, keep the superstition out of this one.

I removed the garlic from around my neck right after the game. haha.

Just found it.

To add to the humor, I read an Orthodox Priest in Pittsburgh commenting on the subject a couple of years back. He mentioned they watch the games when they can. He was then asked if that means they pray that the Steelers win. He said no, of course not, we pray for the team's safety. He then added “what position does Troy play?”

Cheesy

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

woops. missed it. laugh

Just found it.

To add to the humor, I read an Orthodox Priest in Pittsburgh commenting on the subject a couple of years back. He mentioned they watch the games when they can. He was then asked if that means they pray that the Steelers win. He said no, of course not, we pray for the team's safety. He then added “what position does Troy play?”

Cheesy
Can't miss the hair. Grin
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »

woops. missed it. laugh

Just found it.

Cheesy

So true Peter.

Just to clarify the Father's joke Troy is the teams safety.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

The Kardashian sisters and their brother are Armenian Orthodox. They give 10% of their assets each year to the Armenian Church.

Are you sue about this?  I would imagine their father, Robert Kardashian was officially Armenian Orthodox, supported the church, and had his children baptized in the church, but, though I'm hard pressed to admit to it, I watch "Keeping Up with the Kardshians," and have never heard of a reference to the Armenian Apostolic Church---even the one episode where they recalled their father's memory, they went to an Armenian restaurant to commemorate him, not a word about a memorial service in church or grave side prayers.  In the episode that featured Khloe's marriage, it was outdoors and secular, again, no thoughts about even going to the church were expressed.  Kim's marriage was secular too, certainly it was not in an Armenian Church.  Not that any of us necessarily practices our faith as the church so calls us, the Kardashian family leads an especially hedonistic life style, according to what they portray on the show.

So what I am asking, is there something that indicates that they claim to be Armenian Apostolic?  Are you sure they (all of them, which ones?) support the church financially?   (Jennifer Aniston's marriage was not in the church, much to her father's dismay, it was an outdoor, secular affair, but I know that she claims to be Greek Orthodox.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

woops. missed it. laugh

Just found it.

Cheesy

So true Peter.

As a Steeler-illiterate, thanks for that explanation. Smiley

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

woops. missed it. laugh

Just found it.

Cheesy

So true Peter.

As a Steeler-illiterate, thanks for that explanation. Smiley
Troy wears the number 43 on his jersey.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »

Probably the most famous Copt known in the West is former UN Secretary General is Boutros Boutros-Ghali, though according to Wiki we also have a number of internationally-known celebrity chefs: Christopher Maher (also an actor), Karine Bakhoum (also a judge on "Iron Chef America" TV program), and Michael Mina. Thanks Wiki! I have no idea who any of those people are, but I find it funny that Copts would be famous for cooking when we spend so much time fasting. Cheesy

Boutros Boutros-Ghali is one I like to forget.  Michael Mina is a famous chef, has top rated restaurants in AC & Las Vegas.  There's also another famous chef, Marcus Samuelsson, who's Ethiopian.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:49:56 PM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »

How does that prove he's Orthodox  Roll Eyes?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »

It proves he's either a cornerback or a safety Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »

It proves he's either a cornerback or a safety Smiley
But it still doesn't explain what connection 43 has with Orthodoxy  Huh.

Wink Wink
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

4 Gospels
3 Persons in God
4+3=7 Ecumenical Councils
43 is prime

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

4 Gospels
3 Persons in God
4+3=7 Ecumenical Councils
43 is prime
Thank you! Now I'm a believer!  Grin
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2012, 12:54:54 AM »

How does that prove he's Orthodox  Roll Eyes?
I never said it did, so I wonder why you're trying to make that connection. I just pointed out his number as a way of identifying him when he's on the field. (The one thing Troy does on the field that does make his Orthodoxy conspicuous is he crosses himself before almost every play.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:55:14 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2012, 06:38:40 AM »

I never said it did, so I wonder why you're trying to make that connection. I just pointed out his number as a way of identifying him when he's on the field. (The one thing Troy does on the field that does make his Orthodoxy conspicuous is he crosses himself before almost every play.)
Sorry, PtA, I guess next time I'll have to use bigger and more smileys! Yesterday I was just in the mood to act about 1/6 of my age. The fact that you missed that is even funnier! Anyway, in a few hours, I'll be driving through Pittsburgh. I'll wave to Troy for you, now that you've shown me how to recognize him  Wink Grin !
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »

Jared Leto.

IDK what he is but he made inversed cross his logo and he wrote Christmas wishes on Jan 6 on his twitter.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

A few more. As several come from traditional Orthodox lands, I've picked only those who have appeared to be practising. Apologies for any duplicates.

Holly Valance (nee Vukadinovic): Australian model and singer.

Oksana Baiul: Ukrainian figureskater. She was raised Orthodox but started identifying as Jewish after finding out about Jewish ancestry on her mother's side.

Novak Djokovic: Serbian tennis champion, Order of St Sava 1st class.

Vlade Divac: Serbian retired basketball player, currently involved with the IOCC.

Evan Lysacek: American figureskating champion, became Greek Orthodox against his Italian/Czech family ancestry.

Sandra Dee (nee Alexandra Cymboliak Zuck): Raised Russian Orthodox.

Karl Malden (ne Mladen Sekulovic): Said to have been raised Serbian Orthodox.

David Gahan, frontman of Depeche Mode: Converted to Greek Orthodoxy to marry his current wife.

Arvo Pärt, Estonian composer: Converted from Lutheranism.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »

Karolina Gruszka.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:47:09 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »

Boutros Boutros-Ghali is one I like to forget.  Michael Mina is a famous chef, has top rated restaurants in AC & Las Vegas.  There's also another famous chef, Marcus Samuelsson, who's Ethiopian.

Is Samuelsson Orthodox though? I was under the impression he was adopted and grew up with a Swedish Family.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »

Jared Leto.

IDK what he is but he made inversed cross his logo and he wrote Christmas wishes on Jan 6 on his twitter.

Nice necklace...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »

Chris Hillman

Lauryn Hill of Fugees and Lauryn Hill fame is reportedly Ethiopian Orthodox.

Killing me softly with Ethiopian chant. A beautiful way to go.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »

I would pay His Holiness the Catholicos all my money to lock them up in Etchmiadzin.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »

Jared Leto.

Nice necklace...

Hopefully he will learn to make fewer fashion statements.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »

Sorry, PtA, I guess next time I'll have to use bigger and more smileys! Yesterday I was just in the mood to act about 1/6 of my age. The fact that you missed that is even funnier! Anyway, in a few hours, I'll be driving through Pittsburgh. I'll wave to Troy for you, now that you've shown me how to recognize him  Wink Grin !

Troy Polamalu is an active and particularly devout Eastern Orthodox Christian.  He and his wife were married by Metropolitan Maximos, formerly of Pittsburgh, Holy Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh-GOAA.  They are known for participating in retreats.  His wife is on the FOCUS board, her name escapes me at the moment, but she wrote a message on the brochure FOCUS recently mailed out.  In his first few weeks as the enthroned Metropolitan of Pittsburgh, a little over a year ago, Metropolitan Savas was Troy's guest in a loge during a Steelers' game.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: