Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 170999 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Famous Orthodox Christians
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
Honestly, me too, but we can't be categorical about anything involving people's character.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:10:57 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
Yusra Mardini, the Syrian refugee swimmer competing in Rio Olympics, is from a Christian family... I'm not sure if that means Orthodox or not.

The last name Mardini could be Syriac Orthodox (OO). I would be surprised if she was Christian, though. her first name Yusra is a Quranic term, and her father's first name reportedly is Muhammad.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #452 on: November 06, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Fidel Odinga, son of then PM of Kenya Raila Odinga, being baptised by Metropolitan Macarius of Kenya. He apparently received the name Macharious (must be some Dholuo adaptation of Makarios).

His marriage in the Orthodox Church, with Eritrean/German Lwam Bekele

Metropolitan Makarios speaks at his funeral in 2015, after death from food poisoning:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:51:49 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #453 on: November 06, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
Yusra Mardini, the Syrian refugee swimmer competing in Rio Olympics, is from a Christian family... I'm not sure if that means Orthodox or not.

The last name Mardini could be Syriac Orthodox (OO). I would be surprised if she was Christian, though. her first name Yusra is a Quranic term, and her father's first name reportedly is Muhammad.
I recall reading a Coptic blogger commenting on how sadly frequently do Copts give their children Muslim names. Maybe the Syriacs have a similar problem and this is the case?

By the way, she's adorable in person, had the opportunity to meet her working for the Macedonian Olympic Committee.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:54:53 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #454 on: November 06, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
Fidel Odinga, son of then PM of Kenya Raila Odinga, being baptised by Metropolitan Macarius of Kenya. He apparently received the name Macharious (must be some Dholuo adaptation of Makarios).

His marriage in the Orthodox Church, with Eritrean/German Lwam Bekele

Metropolitan Makarios speaks at his funeral in 2015, after death from food poisoning:

Oh, I remember that I wrote about his conversion for cerkiew.pl, that's sad he died not so long after this, but, eventually, he departed this world as an Orthodox Christian...

I recall reading a Coptic blogger commenting on how sadly frequently do Copts give their children Muslim names. Maybe the Syriacs have a similar problem and this is the case?

One my Arabic professors, that's a Syriac Orthodox from Al-Hasaka, said that nowadays there is a problem with Syriacs giving Muslims names to their children, even forcing priests to baptise them with such names.. But, actually, he gave to his daugheter (that's half Polish half Syrica) name "Shamani", as the name of the mother of brave 7 youths from the Machabean books; he went to his bishop to have a blessing to do it  ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »
Konstanty Ildefons Gałczyński - one of the most famous Polish poets from the 20th century - was married in the metropolitan Orthodox cathedral in Warsaw to Natalia, that was an Orthodox Christian. However I think he didn't convert. But e.g they had a Nativity icon at home.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:15:18 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)