OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 05:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 67260 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »

Nikola Tesla

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »

Troy Polamalu from the Superbowl winning Pittsburgh Steelers is a devout Greek Orthodox Christian. I seen him cross himself no less than 25 times through the game.
Probably why they won too. Wink
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:45:39 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »

I read on several websites that Chris Angel (the magician) was Greek Orthodox.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »

Troy Polamalu from the Superbowl winning Pittsburgh Steelers is a devout Greek Orthodox Christian. I seen him cross himself no less than 25 times through the game.

There was an interesting GetReligion article on the coverage of this.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »

Yes.  Troy's name was mentioned in an earlier post...

Um, keep the superstition out of this one.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:26 PM »

Yes.  Troy's name was mentioned in an earlier post...
woops. missed it. laugh
Um, keep the superstition out of this one.

I removed the garlic from around my neck right after the game. haha.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

I once read somewhere that Seiji Ozawa the famous Japanese classical conductor of the Boston Symphony is a member of the Orthodox church.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 02:30:18 PM »

I once read somewhere that Seiji Ozawa the famous Japanese classical conductor of the Boston Symphony is a member of the Orthodox church.

I don't think this is so, though I could not find clear confirmation one way or the other.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »

Michael Huffington - U.S. Representative from California

Really?  An admitted homosexual?

You can't be gay and Orthodox.  Or so I've heard.

Better tell Fr. Seraphim Rose that.  Wink

You cannot be a practicing homosexual and go up for communion, just as a heterosexual who has sex outside the bonds of marriage cannot go up for communion.

Same-sex attraction in and of itself is not sinful. It's what you do with it that potentially can be. If you are chaste, you can go to communion. I don't know anything about Michael Huffington, so I can't speak about him, but that is between him and his spiritual father.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »

Quite honestly, about people changing their last names when they came to America...  I know quite a few people who have done it, Russians, Greeks, Poles...  During the Cold War it was definitely better for Russians to have "un-Russian" names in some cases. 
Greek names... well, I could think of several insulting ways to rearrange "Anastassakis."

I have a bunch of Greek friends (and currently a Greek roommate) who's names are very easy to twist around.  One of my brother's best friends gets called "Prophylactics" at school, and it's only 2 letters changed and 1 letter added.  Kids can be cruel and some people would rather their kids not be teased. 

So, in defense of Jennifer Aniston's parents... perhaps they were doing what they thought best for their kid(s).

This is true. My last name is an Ellis-Island imalgimation that turned a Hungarian last name into something looks Greek and sounds Spanish. I have a friend who is of Russian descent and his last name is Smith.

I know many Indian friends who's names seem to include every letter of the alphabet and go by "American" names like Vic or Kevin.

It's not about cultural shame but rather trying to fit-in in a new environment.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »

Does anyone know if Bear Grylls of "Man vs. Wild" is Orthodox? I see the show from time to time in parts, seeing him do all sorts of strange things in strange places, taking his clothes off all the time (today he got naked in Siberia) and drinking his urine (today in Namibia).  I saw the beginning for the first time and noticed not only did he cross himself but did so in the Orthodox fashion.  My sons told me "he always does that."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »

Is Tina Fey really Orthodox?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:41:00 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »

Yes, Tina Fey is Orthodox and half Greek; I saw once a rerun sketch of Saturday Night Live, when she use to do the news segment and made a cross (Orthodox Cross) when she mentioned an actor who died ( a skit).

In Christ,
Hadel
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:14:34 PM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

Timos-the-Canadian, I laughed so hard reading your post!!!!

Jewish people love to make lists of Jewish celebrities too, so it's not uncommon to do so...
I've heard that they consider Jesus of Nazareth to be one of theirs...go figure...

That's because his Mom is Jewish..

I've heard that Celine Dion is Melikite

I wonder if our former Govorner here in Maryland Spiro T. Agnew ( the great) was Orthodox ?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »

Jewish people love to make lists of Jewish celebrities too, so it's not uncommon to do so...
I've heard that they consider Jesus of Nazareth to be one of theirs...go figure...

I wonder if our former Govorner here in Maryland Spiro T. Agnew ( the great) was Orthodox ?

Agnew was Episcopalian.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »

Are professional tennis players famous enough to count in this? If so, there are bunches of them. Novak Djokovic from Serbia, the number 3 player in the world, crosses himself regularly in his matches, and in the Orthodox way. Why he is doing this all the time I am not sure, but he does it. Maria Sharapova wears an Orthodox looking cross sometimes when she plays. None of this is conclusive of course, but they must feel a connection to some degree. There are many more but no one seems to care about tennis other than me.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

Are professional tennis players famous enough to count in this? If so, there are bunches of them. Novak Djokovic from Serbia, the number 3 player in the world, crosses himself regularly in his matches, and in the Orthodox way. Why he is doing this all the time I am not sure, but he does it. Maria Sharapova wears an Orthodox looking cross sometimes when she plays. None of this is conclusive of course, but they must feel a connection to some degree. There are many more but no one seems to care about tennis other than me.

Speaking of sports stars, Oksana Baiul, the figure skater from Ukraine who out-competed Nancy Carrigan in the 1994 winter Olympics, is an Orthodox Christian.

Love never fails.
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 05:05:58 AM »

Yes, her Husband Renee' is Syrian-Arab (Canadian Citizen). He is Greek Melkite Catholic Church, in keeping with the faith of the baby's father. (Melkite Christians follow Orthodox rites but are loyal to the pope.) and Paul Anka is Syrian Orthodox (Syrian-Canadian) plus many many, and many more out there.

Here is an article on this:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,622267,00.html

Originally posted Wednesday July 25, 2001 01:00 PM EDT
Celine Dion and husband Rene Angelil baptized their 6-month-old son, Rene-Charles, on Wednesday in Montreal at a 40-minute private ceremony before 250 friends and members of the family -- and it sounds as though the child has quite a set of pipes in him, too. "Little Rene-Charles wasn't cut out for a big ceremony like that, because he cried quite a bit," Michel Jasmin, a Quebec TV host and family friend, told a Canadian radio station. Apparently, though, the baby stopped wailing when his mother picked him up and held him. The service was held at a chapel adjoining the Notre Dame Basilica in Old Montreal, exactly six months after the birth of Rene-Charles, and followed the rites of the Greek Melkite Catholic Church, in keeping with the faith of the baby's father. (Melkite Christians follow Orthodox rites but are loyal to the pope.) The Angelils arrived in limos, while their guests showed up in mini-buses, and the event attracted a crowd of curious onlookers. Montreal officials, reports Reuters, closed off streets in the city's historic district and rolled out a blue carpet at the entrance to the church chapel. Dion, 33, is currently on a three-year sabbatical in order to be a fulltime mother. She has announced that her comeback will take place in Las Vegas in 2003.

In Christ,
Hadel

Ps: For extensive list with some tennis players on the list  Grin, please see Wikipedia (I know some do not respect the site but it is correct of what I read, mixed of Greeks, Eastern European and Arab nationalities):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eastern_Orthodox_Christians
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:28:08 AM by Hadel » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »

I don't know if Celine has transferred rites (she's Quebecoise), but her husband is an Arab Melkite, and they had a second, Melkite, wedding.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »

Agnew was Episcopalian.

Whew !  Close call

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

Naomi Campbell is going to convert

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »

Is this confirmed?  It seems still more of a prediction from the press.  If she does, than hopefully she'll actually go to church and learn how to not be a female dog.  (Just look up all the incidents she's been involved in due to her temper to confirm this.)

--content edited for language -username! section moderator
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:21:18 PM by username! » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »

Speaking of sports stars, Oksana Baiul, the figure skater from Ukraine who out-competed Nancy Carrigan in the 1994 winter Olympics
Yup, because Nancy Kerrigan had taken a rod to the knee from thugs working in cahoots with her American rival a few weeks before. Tongue  (Tanya Harding is known for flying hubcaps, as well, but I digress.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:59:13 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 07:17:24 PM »

Speaking of sports stars, Oksana Baiul, the figure skater from Ukraine who out-competed Nancy Carrigan in the 1994 winter Olympics
Yup, because Nancy Kerrigan had taken a rod to the knee from thugs working in cahoots with her American rival a few weeks before. Tongue  (Tanya Harding is known for flying hubcaps, as well, but I digress.)

Sorry, I did not mean to say anything bad about Nancy Kerrigan (BTW, I apologize for misspelling her name).

Also, related to this as well as to what was said about Naomi Campbell: I remember being struck by the saying that "a perfect Orthodox" is an oxymoron. Oksana Bayul started as a little, naive, shy orphan girl from Dnipropetrovs'k, Ukraine, and then, after winning the Olympic gold medal, turned into a celeb, with wild parties and drunk driving and what not. But she IS Orthodox...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:18:09 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »

Don't forget G. I. Gurdjieff and Nicholas Notovitch. Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »

If she remains involved with her wealthy Russian fiance....
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 02:39:31 AM »

Benny Hinn was raised Orthodox.  Too bad he is so misguided...
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »

Yakov Smirnov is Orthodox again.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »

Apart from Benny Hinn, I have no idea who any of these people are.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

Jurisdiction: ROCOR/MP

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »

Let's hope NOT.  (For the sake of Orthodoxy)

Your political post that followed this one was split into its own thread in the Politics Forum:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19888.0.html
Please refrain from Political posts in the Public Fora.
- Cleveland, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:15:03 AM by cleveland » Logged

Suddenly the Judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be revealed, but with fear we cry out in the middle of the night, Holy, Holy, Holy art thou o God, Thru the prayers of the Theotokos have mercy on us and save us!
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »

Hi All,

I got this idea of post from another thread....for your interest found on this site:

List famous of most religions and I checked the Orthodox Site of famous below...listed below.

http://www.adherents.com/adh_fam.html

Spencer Abraham and Darrell Issa of Arab Origins....fyi.

Tom Hanks - actor, movie star

Tina Fey - Saturday Night Live TV series writer and on-screen co-host of "Weekend Update" segment
Michael Dukakis - Massachusetts governor; unsuccessful Democratic nominee for President (1988)
Olympia Dukakis - Academy Award-winning actress
Cyril Lucaris / Cyril I - became Patriarch of Constantinople as Cyril I in 17th Century, first great leader of Church since since fall of Constantinople in 1453
Spencer Abraham - U.S. Secretary of Energy for Pres. George W. Bush
George Stephanopoulos - communication director for Pres. Clinton; news show host
Darrell Issa - U.S. Representative from California; wealthy businessman; personally financed 2003 recall election that ended Gov. Gray Davis's term early
George Tenet - CIA director from 1997 to 2004
Paul Weyrich - powerful conservative American activist; founder of the Heritage Foundation
Terry Mattingly - nationally prominent syndicated religion journalist

Rod Blagojevich - governor of Illinois
Paul Sarbanes - U.S. Senator from Maryland
Olympia Snowe - U.S. Senator from Maine
Michael Huffington - U.S. Representative from California
Melissa Bean - U.S. Representative from Illinois
Michael Bilirakis - U.S. Representative from Florida

Here is an infamous person: Vlad Tepes, Prince of Wallachia & Romania  (Dracula)

Suddenly the Judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be revealed, but with fear we cry out in the middle of the night, Holy, Holy, Holy art thou o God, Thru the prayers of the Theotokos have mercy on us and save us!
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

Adrain Zmed who played a cop on one of the TV series a few years back was the son of a Romanian Orthodox priest.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »

Benny Hinn was raised Orthodox.  Too bad he is so misguided...

Believe me when I say, he is doing it for the money, I have seen this in the Middle East. I have relatives who have Orthodox Icons in their homes and go pray in the Evangelist church, because they give them money to convert. Personal experience. For others, money first then they fall for the conversion.

In Christ,
Hadel

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2009, 04:37:28 AM »

Your political post that followed this one was split into its own thread in the Politics Forum:

Yes, Tina Fey is half Greek and is Greek Orthodox (her husband converted for her). I have seen her personally on TV make an Orthodox cross during Saturday Night Live.

In Christ,
Hadel

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

For the sake of her soul, let's hope so.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »

To famous MMA fighters who happen to be Orthodox are:

1)Fedor Emelianenko (my avatar) and here is a video where he speaks briefly concerning his religious views (starts at 6:15):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWUQIhLSS4

2)Andrei Arlovski
(photo) http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/andrei_arlovski_boxing.jpg

and, the recent fight between Emelianenko and Arlovski last month:
http://www.dailymotion.com/search/Emelianenko%252Bvs.%252BArlovski/video/x85648_fedor-emelianenko-vs-andrei-arlovsk_sport
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »

Aleksander Galich (real name Alexander Aronovich Ginzburg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Galich)

Galich is one of my most beloved Russian popular singers-"bards" (folks who composed both the music and the lyrics of their songs and performed them, accompanying themselves with a Russian 7-string guitar), on par with Vladimir Vysotsky and Bulat Okudzhava. His lyrics is incredibly powerful, revolves mostly around the themes of Stalinist terror, the martyrdom of those who ended up in Gulag camps.

He was born into a family of Soviet urban intellectuals of the Jewish ethnic origin, raised atheist, but converted to Orthodoxy in the early 1970-s by Fr. Alexander Men'.

Love never fails.
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »

Yes, Tina Fey is half Greek and is Greek Orthodox (her husband converted for her). I have seen her personally on TV make an Orthodox cross during Saturday Night Live.

In Christ,
Hadel

So does she cross herself before or after she performs a "black mass"...(HUMOR) Smiley

Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2009, 04:53:13 PM »

For the sake of her soul, let's hope so.

True. Smiley

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »

Tina Fey is DYNO-MITE.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »

I wonder if Bear Grills is Orthodox. He is the TV survivalist on Man Vs. Wild. He crosses himself in the Orthodox manner before jumping out of planes and such the like. It may just be an affectation.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »

I wonder if Bear Grills is Orthodox. He is the TV survivalist on Man Vs. Wild. He crosses himself in the Orthodox manner before jumping out of planes and such the like. It may just be an affectation.

I was wondering the same thing...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2009, 01:45:32 AM »

Based on the quotes on his website, no.

'I am here to help you'
'I am holding you by your right hand'
'The lord himself watches over you'
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »

The way I understand it, After to cleanse her soul....  Grin Smiley

In Christ,
Hadel

So does she cross herself before or after she performs a "black mass"...(HUMOR) Smiley

The way I understand it, after mass, to cleanse her soul,  Grin Wink
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:24:43 AM by Hadel » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »

Based on the quotes on his website, no

Which quotes?  Huh

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: