Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 190254 times)

Offline orthodoxindonesia

• T I M
  • Tuhan kasihanilah!
  • Faith: Kristen Ortodoks Timur
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Singapore and South Asia
Re: Famous Orthodox Christians
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
Eminem
I've not heard that. Last I heard he was Baptist or something. When did this happen?

I ever read something about him on magazine here in Indonesia that he is an 'ancient' orthodox christian believer just same like Bob Marley.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:21:23 AM by orthodoxindonesia »
ALLAH Maha Kudus, Sang Kuasa Maha Kudus, Sang Baka Maha Kudus, kasihanilah kami!
Αγιος ο Θεός, Αγιος Ισχυρός, Αγιος Αθάνατος, ελέησον ημάς

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2015, 09:36:46 AM »
Eminem
I've not heard that. Last I heard he was Baptist or something. When did this happen?

I ever read something about him on magazine here in Indonesia that he is an 'ancient' orthodox christian believer just same like Bob Marley.

I just learned from wikipedia by typing famous -Orthodox-  Christians and I found ROY MARTEN Indonesian artist on the list.
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »
Famous for what? ....
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
Could be anything.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2015, 12:22:27 AM »
Spyros Skouras - head of 20th Century Fox 1942-1962
Charles Skouras - head of  Fox Coast West. Funded Saint Sophia Cathedral in Los Angeles.
George Skouras - head of United Artists.
Alexander Pantages - Owned a lot of theatres (vaudeville mostly)
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

• T I M
  • Tuhan kasihanilah!
« Reply #365 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:28 AM »
Eminem

I just learned from wikipedia by typing famous -Orthodox-  Christians and I found ROY MARTEN Indonesian artist on the list.

Yes, he is one of most favorite artist in Indonesia.
He offered his land to Greek Orthodox Church in in early 1990th which today became Holy Epiphany Parish  Orthodox church consecrated in 2013.

ALLAH Maha Kudus, Sang Kuasa Maha Kudus, Sang Baka Maha Kudus, kasihanilah kami!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Rod Blagojevich!
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
Eminem
I suppose the rumor spread after Marshall Mathers (a.k.a. Eminem) was spotted crossing himself from left to right, as is the Orthodox manner, on one of his music videos. The only problem is that he crossed himself with his left hand and not with his fingers in an Orthodox arrangement.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2012/06/musicians-who-are-converts-to-orthodox.html
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Cyprian700

• Archangel Michael Byzantine Icon (early 14th c.)
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Most of the homosexuals, lesbians, pedophiles, Masons and murderers on this list are enemies of Christ's Church, and in no way can be considered truly Orthodox.

The thread title should be changed to: "Famous so-called or self-proclaimed Orthodox Christians".

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:25:01 AM by Cyprian700 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »
Most of the homosexuals, lesbians, pedophiles, Masons and murderers on this list are enemies of Christ's Church, and in no way can be considered truly Orthodox.

The thread title should be changed to: "Famous so-called or self-proclaimed Orthodox Christians".

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

The only people I know who are this quick to claim that somebody else is gay happen to be gay themselves.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2016, 01:43:50 AM »

Jesus also said, "For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get."

Offline Cyprian700

« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:58 AM »
Christ also said:  "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." 

Those here who consider the likes of Tom Hanks, Eminem, Bob Marley, Tina Fey, Michael Dukakis, George Stephanopoulos, Paul Sarbanes, Michael Huffington, etc. Orthodox, to only name a few, are judging according to the appearance, and are not judging righteous judgment.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #372 on: May 27, 2016, 02:44:17 AM »
Christ also said:  "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." 

Those here who consider the likes of Tom Hanks, Eminem, Bob Marley, Tina Fey, Michael Dukakis, George Stephanopoulos, Paul Sarbanes, Michael Huffington, etc. Orthodox, to only name a few, are judging according to the appearance, and are not judging righteous judgment.

And how do you know they're false Christians (let alone gay)? Aren't you just judging by appearances?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:44:44 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #373 on: May 27, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
There are murderers on this list?

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #374 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »
There are murderers on this list?

I'm guessing murderer = "somebody who fails to be in favor of immediately lynching all abortion doctors."

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2016, 03:16:33 AM »

Do you think you may be judging only according to appearance?

Offline Cyprian700

« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:33 AM »
Tom Hanks, along with his co-conspirator Steven Spielberg, are liars, murderers, homosexuals and pedophiles.  All Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks films have plans for mass murder hidden in them.   

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is about the Illuminati's plans to perpetrate hurricanes such as Rita and Katrina, where REAL PEOPLE DIED.

Why do you think the Greek man Kostas in the film goes around spraying Windex on everyone and everything?  Wind-ex as in WIND.
Why was My Big Fat Greek Wedding set in Chicago?  For multiple reasons, but for the discussion at present, because Chicago is known as the WINDY city.
Tom Hanks arranged Big Fat Greek wedding to RITA Wilson is another reason why Hanks was chosen to be associated with this film about Hurricane Rita.

Does anyone here believe that people actually died in the Philadelphia train derailment of May 12, 2015?   Tom Hanks is guilty of that crime, whether it was faked and staged or 8 people really died.

Tom Hanks' films Philadelphia (1993) and The Polar Express (2004) are about the deliberately perpetrated/staged train derailment.

There are a plethora of attacks hidden in Forrest Gump, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons. Tom Hanks is GUILTY for the crime of the Boston Marathon attacks in all these films, and also The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons are public declarations by the Illuminati declaring to the world that Francis is their willing agent, groomed for his role many years in advance.   Pope Francis is a pedophile and a homosexual and they showed decades in advance that Benedict would resign and Francis was selected to fill his role.

The Illuminati invented the word 'paparazzi' specifically for Pope Benedict, father of the Antichrist.

Is anyone aware that Tom Hanks represents O.J. Simpson in Forrest Gump?   O.J. did not murder Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, it was a massive psy-op, which is easily proven. Tom Hanks is GUILTY of lying to the world about the fake O.J. Simpson murders, and he is culpable for all the racial strife and division that followed.

Do you know why Hanks is called Gump in Forrest Gump?  It's 1950's prison slang for a homosexual. 

Gump | Define Gump at Dictionary.com (scroll down half way)
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gump

Why did Tom Hanks dress in drag for a couple of seasons on Bosom Buddies?  Why did he finally win an academy award for playing a homosexual in The Philadelphia Story (1993)?

Here is Tom Hanks proudly wearing his iconic rainbow stripes:

Tom Hanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hanks

Here is evidence of Tom Hanks and Will Smith's pedophilia.

Are All Around Good Guys Tom Hanks and Will Smith Pedophiles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxcasE6T2k

Cyprian-

Accusing people (in this case Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Steven Spielberg and Pope Francis) of pedophilia is a serious criminal accusation which you are not permitted to just throw out without serious substantive evidence to back up the claim. "Serious" and "substantive" are the key words here, for which a conspiracy theory Youtube video does not count. Furthermore, your comment is much too polemical for Other Topics, and does not belong here. Other Topics is for "discussion, light debate, no polemics.  For non-serious topics only." per the rules. Speaking of the rules, you have been a member here long enough to have read them, and I encourage you to read them again to refresh your memory. I am giving you a warning of 30 points. If you wish to appeal this decision, you may do so by sending me a private message.

-ZZ, Other Topics Moderator 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:04:02 AM by ZealousZeal »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2016, 04:04:09 AM »
I am just going to say it.

I am not trying to start a fight or make fun of anyone.

Cyprian, are you all right? I am worried.

Please forgive.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2016, 04:08:51 AM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is about the Illuminati's plans to perpetrate hurricanes such as Rita and Katrina, where REAL PEOPLE DIED.

Behold the true leader of the Illuminati!

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/9/9b/Weather_Wizard_0001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120210063536
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:13:53 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2016, 04:12:43 AM »
I am just going to say it.

I am not trying to start a fight or make fun of anyone.

Cyprian, are you all right? I am worried.

Please forgive.

He's fine.

Assuming he's not a troll, the internet is full of conspiracy hounds just like him.

I'm just surprised he's not an atheist who includes the Orthodox Church and shapeshifting lizard people from Zeta Reticuii in his GURPS setting worldview. That's pretty much the only thing unique about him.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:14:24 AM by Volnutt »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:25 AM »
Thread locked pending moderator review

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »
Thread unlocked.

Please keep the conversation on topic. Thank you!
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »
Famous for what? anything? ...
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
Michael Huffington - U.S. Representative from California

You can't be gay and Orthodox.

First, I'm NOT LGBT supporter.
But, you can't be gay and Orthodox?
Are you into turning Orthodox church to be Westboro Baptist church who yelled God hates fags?
Holy Mother of God! Does Christ forbid the sinners come to Him?
Do you ever think how hard Fr. Seraphim Rose of Platina struggled with his homosexuality?
Christ hate sins but not the sinners.
We are not supposed to judge homosexual person.
And one more thing, I believe Orthodox church is a place for people like me who full of sins, the sinner, too.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »

Are you into turning Orthodox church to be Westboro Baptist church who yelled God hates fags?
Do you ever think how hard Fr. Seraphim Rose of Platina struggled with his homosexuality?
And one more thing, I believe Orthodox church is a place for people like me who full of sins, the sinner, too.

Neither poster has been active in over a year and Lemko Rusyn hasn't posted since 2008. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »

Neither poster has been active in over a year and Lemko Rusyn hasn't posted since 2008.
Ops. Well at least I hope she/he would read mu comment someday, then.

Speaking of famous Orthodox, I would say Cary Yuki Tagawa, Chiuene Sugihara, St.Nicholas of Japan.
... and Cats Steven

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #386 on: May 28, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »

Speaking of famous Orthodox, I would say Cary Yuki Tagawa, Chiuene Sugihara, St.Nicholas of Japan.
... and Cats Steven

Cat Stevens' father was Greek Orthodox, but his mother was a Swedish Baptist, and he was sent to a Catholic school growing up. Nowadays he's best known for having converted to Islam. Which gives his version of "Morning Has Broken" (a Christian hymn) sound different in retrospect.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:52:48 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »

... and Cats Steven

Cat Stevens' father was Greek Orthodox, but his mother was a Swedish Baptist, and he was sent to a Catholic school growing up. Nowadays he's best known for having converted to Islam. Which gives his version of "Morning Has Broken" (a Christian hymn) sound different in retrospect.
O I see.
I'm just curious when someone have been baptized Orthodox then they became apostate, will their baptism invalid?
(My question is not supposted to be posted in this theard but somebody please help me to know)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:43:43 AM by Musashi »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »
O I see.
I'm just curious when someone have been baptized Orthodox then they became apostate, will their baptism invalid?
(My question is not supposted to be posted in this theard but somebody please help me to know)

No, but they have excommunicated themselves from the Church.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »
O I see.

So they are just same with people who are excommunicated by church, aren't they?
When they come back home, all they need to do is just confession then chrisma?
Thank you for the explanation.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
O I see.

So they are just same with people who are excommunicated by church, aren't they?
When they come back home, all they need to do is just confession then chrisma?

Yes for both.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #391 on: May 28, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »
Baptism, not unlike OT circumcision, leaves an irreversible mark of us. The mark just isn't in the flesh anymore.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
  • Faith: I dunno, Lutheran???
  • Jurisdiction: People's Republic of Memphis
« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »
I have it on good authority that all the members of Hanson (of the 1997 hit "MMMBop") have converted to Orthodoxy. It's sort of through a friend of a friend who started going to church with them, but I don't think that's the sort of thing you'd make up.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2016, 01:56:20 AM »
Famous in WW2 History

John Ibou Takahashi, the admiral of Japan emperor

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:59:07 AM by Musashi »

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #394 on: June 04, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
Vasiliky (Betty) Cantrell
Miss America 2016

If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
  • Jurisdiction: my heart belongs to Patriarch Pavle
« Reply #395 on: June 04, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
Miss America 2016

I found this in my facebook
St.Ahmed of Calligrapher pray for us!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #396 on: June 04, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
But are they ready to be matushki?

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
« Reply #397 on: June 04, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
I hope so.  :P

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #398 on: June 04, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. At least one of them should follow the footsteps of Miss Pennsylvania 1987. Marrying JamesR would also be a worthy, and equally difficult, commitment.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #399 on: June 04, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. At least one of them should follow the footsteps of Miss Pennsylvania 1987. Marrying JamesR would also be a worthy, and equally difficult, commitment.

Don't wish the poor girls such ill. :-\
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #400 on: June 05, 2016, 01:02:15 AM »

Don't wish the poor girls such ill. :-\

Marriage is martyrdom.  Do you not want JamesR to be saved?

Offline ahmad seraphim

• why am I here?
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder

• T I M
  • Tuhan kasihanilah!
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »
Anna Maria Marten, an Indonesian model
She is beautiful :-*
Yes, Indeed. She is very kind and nice to everybody.
I go to the same church with her family.
Her sons are famous entertainers.
Sebastianos Gibran Marten
and
Laurentios Gading Marten

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2016, 06:48:18 AM »
Miss America 2016

I found this in my facebook

Sad

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx