Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 190397 times)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: Famous Orthodox Christians
« Reply #315 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
A man's compliment of a woman's gams is just creepy.

Why?  Is this a universal truth?  I'm confused.   ???

Try it and report back. Good luck, Mor.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »

Some of the sportier men can get away with it, because they can appreciate the 'work' part of working out. They're more likely to use terms like 'some sleek quads there', rather than 'shake that booty, babe'. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
That's good. I've always imagined Mor as a bodybuilder.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

LOL.  Far from it, but thanks.  :P 

True story.  When I was in college, I lived with a few guys, and one of their friends would swing by often.  He was the son of an Italian father and a Chinese mother (so he had a distinctive appearance), and he was a hardcore bodybuilding type (perhaps he used steroids, I don't know for sure like I did for the others), a great student, and the most lapsed SSPXer you ever met (he never even once entered a "modern" RC church until I broke the news to him that there was Mass in English...he did so only to prove to me that the Catholic Church "would never do something so stupid", and then came back horrified).  Quite a combination...a great guy.  Anyway, one day he interrupted my studying to ask me "Didn't St Paul say that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit?"  And I replied affirmatively.  So then he grabbed a bit of my belly fat and proclaimed "God doesn't want a chapel...", and then ripping off his shirt and flexing his very muscular muscles, he bellowed "HE WANTS A CATHEDRAL!!!"   

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

Some of the sportier men can get away with it, because they can appreciate the 'work' part of working out. They're more likely to use terms like 'some sleek quads there', rather than 'shake that booty, babe'. ;)

I'm not likely to use either, I just appreciate beauty.  Usually I tell God about it to avoid uncomfortable situations.  ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »

True story.  When I was in college, I lived with a few guys, and one of their friends would swing by often.  He was the son of an Italian father and a Chinese mother (so he had a distinctive appearance), and he was a hardcore bodybuilding type (perhaps he used steroids, I don't know for sure like I did for the others), a great student, and the most lapsed SSPXer you ever met (he never even once entered a "modern" RC church until I broke the news to him that there was Mass in English...he did so only to prove to me that the Catholic Church "would never do something so stupid", and then came back horrified).  Quite a combination...a great guy.  Anyway, one day he interrupted my studying to ask me "Didn't St Paul say that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit?"  And I replied affirmatively.  So then he grabbed a bit of my belly fat and proclaimed "God doesn't want a chapel...", and then ripping off his shirt and flexing his very muscular muscles, he bellowed "HE WANTS A CATHEDRAL!!!"   

Best anecdote I've read on this forum! :)
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »

Best anecdote I've read on this forum! :)

+ 1. Wow.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »

LOL!  That's funny!!!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »

;D

Thanks for the laugh!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:32:28 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »

LOLOLOL!  Absolutely hilarious!
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
I think I'll get that story tattooed to my lats.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

Why?  Is this a universal truth?  I'm confused.   ???

It is because it's not the 1930s anymore.  "Nice gams!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:17:04 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
Trey Spruance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Spruance, is famous for being in Mr. Bungle, Faith no More (and others), and in the last while Secret Chiefs 3; here's what it sounds like and maybe you can catch them in your area: http://youtu.be/O1Y3BNdq_FQ
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:35:52 AM by IoanC »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #328 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
Heard Christian Bale is Orthodox. Can anyone confirm? And for Max Cavalera.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:44:03 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #329 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Bale's wife's maiden name was Blažić; make of that what you will.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

http://hollowverse.com/christian-bale/

Bale’s upbringing was admittedly non-religious. He once said:

I always pictured Jesus as Neil Diamond when I was younger. My upbringing was not a religious one, but an inquisitive one. My father was best friends with the bishop and fascinated by religion. I would come back from church, and my dad would put on Neil Diamond. So, I would always picture Neil Diamond with a big white beard, standing in a tunic and preaching to masses of people… I do go to church on occasion, but I don’t adhere to any particular religion. His [Jesus'] basic message of encompassing all people was a great one.1

My guess is that if he had to say, he’d identify with Catholic–the largest denomination in Wales. Plus, his father was best friends with a bishop–a Catholic designation.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

http://hollowverse.com/christian-bale/

Bale’s upbringing was admittedly non-religious. He once said:

I always pictured Jesus as Neil Diamond when I was younger. My upbringing was not a religious one, but an inquisitive one. My father was best friends with the bishop and fascinated by religion. I would come back from church, and my dad would put on Neil Diamond. So, I would always picture Neil Diamond with a big white beard, standing in a tunic and preaching to masses of people… I do go to church on occasion, but I don’t adhere to any particular religion. His [Jesus'] basic message of encompassing all people was a great one.1

My guess is that if he had to say, he’d identify with Catholic–the largest denomination in Wales. Plus, his father was best friends with a bishop–a Catholic designation.

I mean after his marriage to a Serbian.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »
I didn't know Picasso had had an Orthodox wedding.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
Perhaps it was the eary quality of Orthodox services that made him Gogh through with it?
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
Perhaps it was the eary quality of Orthodox services that made him Gogh through with it?
::)
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #335 on: December 04, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
I had to do it just for Michal, I know how much he loves corny jokes  :angel:

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #336 on: December 04, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »

Not enough corn in Poland, I guess.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »

You could at least use words that appear in dictionaries. No idea what "eary" means.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »

You could at least use words that appear in dictionaries. No idea what "eary" means.

You never get jokes, why start explaining them to you now?

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #339 on: December 04, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »

Typo, I think. Use "eerie" for one meaning or "airy" for a very different one.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »

Typo, I think. Use "eerie" for one meaning or "airy" for a very different one.

Definitely not a typo.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
I got the reference.

The joke is not funny.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #342 on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

Carefully thought through puns are the best.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
I got the reference.

The joke is not funny.
You're not funny.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »

Ouch. I shoulda caught that one...but either way, it s not funny.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:03:38 AM by podkarpatska »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »

Not even when one considers that as a corny joke, "ear" is still apropos?
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »

Not even when one considers that as a corny joke, "ear" is still apropos?

I actually chortled.  I haven't chortled in a while. :)

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
Milla Jovovich, apparently.

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
  • GLORY TO GOD FOR ALL THINGS!
    • The Orthodox Church in Japan (belongs to church)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: J A P A N
« Reply #348 on: September 24, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
PETROS Iwao SASAKI
Japanese Iconographer
主や、爾の民を救い、爾の業に福を降し、吾が國に幸いを與へ、爾の十字架にて爾の住所を守り給え -TROPARION OF HOLY CROSS-

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #349 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
PETROS Iwao SASAKI
Japanese Iconographer

Is he "famous"?  ???

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
PETROS Iwao SASAKI
Japanese Iconographer

Is he "famous"?  ???

Being big in Japan counts. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
Is there an online gallery with Sasaki's icons?

Thanks. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
PETROS Iwao SASAKI
Japanese Iconographer

Is he "famous"?  ???

You win the internets today
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
PETROS Iwao SASAKI
Japanese Iconographer

Is he "famous"?  ???

If you say so.....

I though he is famous among Orthodox Iconographers
not only in Japan or Finland  ;)

Offline Musashi

• 主、憐れめよ !
  • Elder
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
Martyr YEVGENY RODIONOV
I think his martyrdom is wellknown not only in Orthodox church in Japan.

Offline orthodoxindonesia

• T I M
  • Tuhan kasihanilah!
  • Faith: Kristen Ortodoks Timur
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Singapore and South Asia
« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
Eminem
ALLAH Maha Kudus, Sang Kuasa Maha Kudus, Sang Baka Maha Kudus, kasihanilah kami!
Αγιος ο Θεός, Αγιος Ισχυρός, Αγιος Αθάνατος, ελέησον ημάς

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #359 on: September 29, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »
Eminem
I've not heard that. Last I heard he was Baptist or something. When did this happen?
God bless!