OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:09:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christians  (Read 68144 times) Average Rating: 0
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »

Eminem-Converted to Orthodoxy before going into rehab, in many of his videos he is seen crossing himself from right to left.

I'm curious to see that. Can you provide links to some videos?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:12 AM »

Eminem-Converted to Orthodoxy before going into rehab, in many of his videos he is seen crossing himself from right to left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYNFfgrXTI&ob=av2e

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »

Uh what? More details please.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »

The guy who played in Tuck Everlasting, what's his name?

Which one?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »

Jennifer Aniston-Raised Greek Orthodox and had a Greek Orthodox wedding in her show 'Friends'.

Jim Belushi-Raised in the Albanian Orthodox Church, recently just met the Patriarch I think.

John Belushi-Raised in the Albanian Orthodox Church as well.

Tom Hanks-Not sure of the details

Bob Marley-Converted to Ethiopian Orthodoxy right before his death. He actually attempted to be Baptised three times before in the past but it was always postponed because of death threats to his Bishop. He waited until his death bed in New York before converting.

I just watched videos of Bear Grylls jumping out of airplanes, he does cross himself from right to left... But with his full hand like many Catholics, not with three fingers.

Interesting. Perhaps he is an Eastern Rite Catholic?

Can you provide any more information on Eminem converting to Orthodoxy?  I've used Google but turned up nothing.

As an aside, if he has, then he and Orthonorm are even more alike than I thought...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are active members of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles, CA.  A few years back, the "Orthodox Observer" reported that Rita was a Sunday School teacher.  (The church is quite large and was constructed under the leadership of Charles Scouras in the late 1940's, while he was president of Fox, if I recall correctly.  Much of the construction was conducted by firms that worked for Fox and were encouraged (or coerced) into donating or significantly discounting their work;---he must be a grandson, but I see the name Charles Scouras as a producer of Desperate Housewives.)   (These threads get long and many don't read the older pages--most of the names in the prior seven comments have already been covered above.)

I'm not sure to which parish they belong, but Troy Polamalu and his wife's marriage was celebrated by GOAA Metropolitan Maximos, formerly of Pittsburgh.  I saw on facebook, soon after his enthronement in December, Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh was Polamalu's guest at a loge for a Pittsburgh Steelers game.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:04:16 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »

WOW.

2:09

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

Jennifer Aniston-Raised Greek Orthodox and had a Greek Orthodox wedding in her show 'Friends'.

Jim Belushi-Raised in the Albanian Orthodox Church, recently just met the Patriarch I think.

Bob Marley-Converted to Ethiopian Orthodoxy right before his death. He actually attempted to be Baptised three times before in the past but it was always postponed because of death threats to his Bishop. He waited until his death bed in New York before converting.

I just watched videos of Bear Grylls jumping out of airplanes, he does cross himself from right to left... But with his full hand like many Catholics, not with three fingers.

You might want to read the earlier posts on this thread, then, since many of the names you listed were already listed earlier. Wink
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

WOW.

Wow, indeed.  If there is any substance to this I might like Mr. Shady more than I already did.  With any luck he might convert the Doctor as well.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »

WOW.

Wow, indeed.  If there is any substance to this I might like Mr. Shady more than I already did.  With any luck he might convert the Doctor as well.

I don't think the video proves anything. If you notice, he crosses with his left hand in the video.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Yeah I read Eminem is Orthodox. Isn't Tina Fey as well?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »

Eminem crosses himself at 2:09

Go to google and search 'what religion is Eminem?' and all of the websites that come up will list him as an Orthodox Christian.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:26:56 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »

PP

Where did you read this?  And, yes, Tina Fey at least was Orthodox, I don't know if she still considers herself an adherent of the Church.  Same with Zack Galifinakis and Chris Angel.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »

Go to google and search 'what religion is Eminem?' and all of the websites that come up will list him as an Orthodox Christian.

Hmmm! Good for him.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »

He's crossing himself with his left hand, and his fingers are not arranged in the Orthodox fashion.  Angry
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »

Uh what? More details please.

I've always felt the yellow eminem exuded a spirit of Orthodox humility.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »

Can you provide any more information on Eminem converting to Orthodoxy?  I've used Google but turned up nothing.

As an aside, if he has, then he and Orthonorm are even more alike than I thought...

Maybe Orthonorm IS Eminem...

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »

He's crossing himself with his left hand, and his fingers are not arranged in the Orthodox fashion.  Angry

Aha!

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »

Now that I think about it, I've never seen Orthonorm and Eminem in the same place at the same time. Hmm...

I've found a variety of things, listing him as Orthodox, Baptist, Mormon (which would be hilarious if true), Christian of unspecified affiliation, and theist of unspecified affiliation. It'd be cool if he has become Orthodox, but I can't find anything reliable saying so.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »

Re. Reply No. 190

Tina Fey was married in a GOAA Metropolis of Pittsburgh parish in Pennsylvania, I don't remember which one.  (She is about a quarter Greek-American).

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are active members of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles, CA.  A few years back, the "Orthodox Observer" reported that Rita was a Sunday School teacher.  (The church is quite large and was constructed under the leadership of Charles Scouras in the late 1940's, while he was president of Fox, if I recall correctly.  Much of the construction was conducted by firms that worked for Fox and were encouraged (or coerced) into donating or significantly discounting their work;---he must be a grandson, but I see the name Charles Scouras as a producer of Desperate Housewives.)   (These threads get long and many don't read the older pages--most of the names in the prior seven comments have already been covered above.)

I'm not sure to which parish they belong, but Troy Polamalu and his wife's marriage was celebrated by GOAA Metropolitan Maximos, formerly of Pittsburgh.  I saw on facebook, soon after his enthronement in December, Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh was Polamalu's guest at a loge for a Pittsburgh Steelers game.

St. Sophia might be one of the most beautiful churches on earth.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »

If Eminem is an Orthodox Christian that makes Oprah one too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:14 AM »

Maybe Orthonorm IS Eminem...

Someone needs to contact the paparazzi and see if Eminem has been spotted in Cincinnati, any time recently.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »

PP

Is there any kind of fact to this claim. You cannot just say that you've read it and then leave it at that.

Also! primuspilus, LBK, and JamesRottnek. Do you all have to have the same avatar? It seems like I see that one all over the place now.  Cheesy
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2012, 02:44:16 AM »

For kicks, I did this. Nothing said anything about him being Orthodox. Sorry.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2012, 03:25:51 AM »

Presumably Vint Cerf (on the right):

With Bob Kahn, considered the father of the internet.

Also with Bob Kahn, a defender of the pivotal role of Al Gore in the establishment of the internet.
http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~fessler/misc/funny/gore,net.txt

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave (who knew? lol)
http://grungereport.net/?p=8790
Cornell is a recent convert, converting for his wife, but its interesting that they seem dedicated to raising their children as Orthodox. Considering some of his songs in the past, its pretty amazing that he's quite open to the Orthodox Church.

Jonathan Jackson of General Hospital
http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/02/27/from-general-hospital-to-the-hospital-of-souls-interview-with-jonathan-jackson/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:38:39 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

I have heard that Kim Thayil, Soundgarden's guitarist, is also Christian, but I don't know if it is true or not. His parents were from Kerala, and there are a lot of Christians there (they're the third largest population, 19% or about 6.3 million people), but many of them aren't Orthohodox (Malabar Catholics, or "Chaldean" Assyrians/Nestorians).

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »

Our world famous Admin staff are orthodox.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »

I was on 'Romper Room' in 1977...  Wink

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »

For kicks, I did this. Nothing said anything about him being Orthodox. Sorry.
I did the same and got the same results.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave (who knew? lol)
http://grungereport.net/?p=8790
Cornell is a recent convert, converting for his wife, but its interesting that they seem dedicated to raising their children as Orthodox. Considering some of his songs in the past, its pretty amazing that he's quite open to the Orthodox Church.

Jonathan Jackson of General Hospital
http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/02/27/from-general-hospital-to-the-hospital-of-souls-interview-with-jonathan-jackson/

That is extremely awesome about Cornell.  Just one more reason to keep listening to Soundgarden.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »

I was on 'Romper Room' in 1977...  Wink

This made me laugh way more than I should have.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »

If he keeps biting my . . . .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:15:10 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »

He's a left hander who just took to crossing himself. Dollars to donuts. Pulling is just more "natural" than "pushing".

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »

He's a left hander who just took to crossing himself. Dollars to donuts. Pulling is just more "natural" than "pushing".

Especially when you're pulling a rope.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Karolina Gruszka - Polish actress.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »

Adrain Zmed who played a cop on one of the TV series a few years back was the son of a Romanian Orthodox priest.

Orthodoc

i'm a bit late with this, as i am not sure orthodoc is still around, but does anyone have any more info an this?
by the way 'a few years back' was like more than 20 years ago coz i remember watching it in my youth and trying to work out where he was from.
of course, being romanian, it would explain why he was so good looking...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Zmed

Here is his Wikipedia page.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0957460/

And here is his imdb page.

Hope these are helpful.  Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »

thanks, biro, u r very sweet.
actually having read some of the stuff he is quoted as saying, i would like to point out that i was a kid when i used to see him on tv.
i don't remember any scenes involving minimal clothing, although they apparently took place.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

Comedian Demetri Martin is the son of a Greek Orthodox Priest, but is no longer practicing. He talks about religion some in this interview.

Zach Galifianakis was baptized Greek Orthodox but mostly attended a Presbetyrian Church as a child and has said "I grew up Greek Orthodox and I wish I knew more about the bible. But, I haven't really made my mind up about it. I think it's all mythology. It would be nice to believe in something, just in case. I mean, what do you have to lose? We can be all scientific about it, but just in case. I don't know. I'm still thinking about it. "
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:54:21 PM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »

Probably no one cares since I'm willing to bet I'm the only one that watches this show, but I'm pretty sure Nina Dobrev of Vampire Diaries (team Damon in case you were wondering... what? No one? Ah, well...) is Bulgarian Orthodox. She was talking about her "name day" recently-ish, and she was born in Bulgaria.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »

thanks, biro, u r very sweet.
actually having read some of the stuff he is quoted as saying, i would like to point out that i was a kid when i used to see him on tv.
i don't remember any scenes involving minimal clothing, although they apparently took place.

You're welcome.  Smiley

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »

Probably no one cares since I'm willing to bet I'm the only one that watches this show, but I'm pretty sure Nina Dobrev of Vampire Diaries (team Damon in case you were wondering... what? No one? Ah, well...) is Bulgarian Orthodox. She was talking about her "name day" recently-ish, and she was born in Bulgaria.

Yep, she is orthodox.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

Yep, she is orthodox.

In the words of Zoolander, she is also really, really, ridiculously good-looking.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: