Author Topic: Dear Cadence: OC.net's Advice Column  (Read 10853 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
Re: Dear Cadence: OC.net's Advice Column
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
Dear Candy,

I bought all the ingredients I might need. Besides what I already had I bought orange juice, honey, brown sugar and more Sunkist. Now I just need to do some experiments tomorrow to find the right formula. My question is this: I know my neighbor is very lonely, and I would be happy to have her over, so... would it be wrong to go to her tonight and invite her to come over tomorrow, but then when she shows up insist that she must be my taste tester until I get my glaze right?
"I, Lucian, wrote this, I who am skilled in what is old and foolish; For what men think wise is foolish. So then nothing that the mind of man can conceive is certain; What you admire, seems ridiculous to others." - St. Lucian of Antioch

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
Dear Candy,

I bought all the ingredients I might need. Besides what I already had I bought orange juice, honey, brown sugar and more Sunkist. Now I just need to do some experiments tomorrow to find the right formula. My question is this: I know my neighbor is very lonely, and I would be happy to have her over, so... would it be wrong to go to her tonight and invite her to come over tomorrow, but then when she shows up insist that she must be my taste tester until I get my glaze right?

Dear Asterisk, if it's particularly good, inviting your neighbour to me your taste tester should be a privilege for her, not a problem. For sake of Christian charity, you should invite her over to be your taste tester.
With love, Cadence.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
Dear everyone,

Thank you for your many advices. I ended up not using orange soda, but rather orange juice.  My glaze started syrupy and by the end had become completely liquid and was sitting in a pool... but it still tasted good, so whatever, I just spooned it over the ham and it probably tasted better that way anyway :)

Now I'm full. And I have leftovers to put away. And also a kitchen full of dishes to do.  >:(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:10:33 PM by Asteriktos »
"I, Lucian, wrote this, I who am skilled in what is old and foolish; For what men think wise is foolish. So then nothing that the mind of man can conceive is certain; What you admire, seems ridiculous to others." - St. Lucian of Antioch

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
Dear Cadence,

I had someone tell me in PM that I should see my spiritual father and a psychiatrist, but I don't want to. No no no! How should I respond to them?

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Dear Asterisk, if someone suggested you see your spiritual father and a psychiatrist, I'm sure it was for a good reason. At the very least, it can't hurt.
With love, Cadence.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
^ That someone should offer to put up the money for the visit.  :police:

Online ZealousZeal

• Caustic & Caffeinated
  • Archon
  • I'm a barley girl, in a barley world
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »
Dear Cadence-

I have to give a toast/speech at my brother's wedding next month. Any advice?

-Orator
Ecc 10:19- Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
in the best speech i ever heard on behalf of a brother, my friend's younger brother (though adult at the time), chose that moment to quote what his brother had said privately in the gent's toilets earlier that day:
'nothing like a wedding for getting your bowels moving!'
 :o
 :D

(not what cadence would advise...)

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Level 13 Chalcedonian Paladin
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
Dear Cadence-

-Orator

Don't use clichés. Don't use one of the standard formulas to open your speech. Have an introduction. A speech without an introduction is like a man without a head. Start with an anecdote that is (semi-)related to the point you want to make.  Write your speech out but don't read it in front of everyone.

Read every sentence you write out loud. If it lacks elegance rewrite it. Use short aphorisms. Work to a crescendo. Make sure the beginning and the end are the best parts. Don't use too many archaisms or neologisms. Practice your speech and make sure you find the right rhythm. Your conclusion should preferably refer back to the starting anecdote.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:45:40 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

Ἀπ' ὃσα ἒκαμα κι ἀπ’ ὃσα εἶπα
νὰ μὴ ζητήσουνε νὰ βροῦν ποιός ἢμουν
-C.P Cavafy

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
Dear Cadence,

Thank you for your previous advices. You are like the Aunt I never wanted to have but was forced to have because of family ties and over the course of decades I begrudgingly had to start respecting and then when you died I mourned your passing.

Anyway, so my next question: if I'm rubber, and you're glue, and everything you say bounces off of me and sticks to you... does that mean I can never receive compliments because they also will just bounce off me?

Online ZealousZeal

• Caustic & Caffeinated
  • Archon
  • I'm a barley girl, in a barley world
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
Dear Cadence-

-Orator

Don't use clichés. Don't use one of the standard formulas to open your speech. Have an introduction. A speech without an introduction is like a man without a head. Start with an anecdote that is (semi-)related to the point you want to make.  Write your speech out but don't read it in front of everyone.

Read every sentence you write out loud. If it lacks elegance rewrite it. Use short aphorisms. Work to a crescendo. Make sure the beginning and the end are the best parts. Don't use too many archaisms or neologisms. Practice your speech and make sure you find the right rhythm. Your conclusion should preferably refer back to the starting anecdote.

Wow. Thanks, Cyrillic! That is very helpful.
Ecc 10:19- Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything.

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
Dear Cadence,

If you have sugar cookies in the oven too long they become hard, so you should take them out while they are still semi-soft.

Sincerely,

Justin

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
< 10 views per post in the public section = treadfail
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Dear Cadence,

If you have sugar cookies in the oven too long they become hard, so you should take them out while they are still semi-soft.

Sincerely,

Justin

That's about right. Though for some reason, when I bake cookies they rarely become hard. Must be extra milk in the batter.
With love, Cadence.

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2013, 12:39:50 AM »
Dear Cadence,

I find myself eating a lot of peanut butter lately. Should I justify this gluttonous indulgence by saying that I am bulking, or because I need more variety in my dietary protein sources?

Your brother in iron,

Broseph

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »
Dear Cadence,

I find myself eating a lot of peanut butter lately. Should I justify this gluttonous indulgence by saying that I am bulking, or because I need more variety in my dietary protein sources?

Your brother in iron,

Broseph

Dearest Broseph,

....Cadence is sleeping.  Please stop smacking your lips so loudly!

If your pb consumption is indeed a "gluttonous indulgence" rather than a simple food you are eating more of than you usually do due to the fasting season, perhaps a quiet word of counsel from your priest is in order, as attempting to justify it is a fool's errand.

Otherwise, may you fast slowly, quietly, and with great spiritual reward for your efforts.

With love,
Upgrade
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »
Dear Cadence,

Your brother in iron,

Broseph

Dear Broseph, it depends on exactly why you're eating so much peanut butter. Is it because of the fasting season, and peanut butter is more appetising than lettuce and tomato sandwiches, or is it just because you like it a lot? If the latter I suggest that you reduce your intake, to avoid gluttony. After all, it's not a fast if the Jiffy's is gone in two days.
With love, Cadence.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
Dear Cadence,

Your brother in iron,

Broseph

Dear Broseph, it depends on exactly why you're eating so much peanut butter. Is it because of the fasting season, and peanut butter is more appetising than lettuce and tomato sandwiches, or is it just because you like it a lot? If the latter I suggest that you reduce your intake, to avoid gluttony. After all, it's not a fast if the Jiffy's is gone in two days.
With love, Cadence.

Dearest Cadence,

Good morning, Sleepy Head!!

By definition, Jiffy is fast. ;D

With love,
Upgrade
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:08 AM »
Dear Cadence and/or Upgrade,

Later this morning I see the neurosurgeon about my back. I expect that he will send me for your typical therapy, stuff like ultrasound, "core" exercises, etc. (I suppose there's a small chance the surgery option will be explored tentatively, but probably not). Anyway, I want to lie and tell him that back massages are the only thing that has helped me in the past, and see if I can somehow get set up with those. I'm probably dreaming, but it's a nice dream. Anyway, is it a sin to lie in such a scenario?

Awaiting your answer,

Tylenprofen

EDIT--PS--I leave for my appointment in about 5 1/2 hours... the clock is ticking!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:49:32 AM by Asteriktos »

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
TIME IS UP!  8)

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Back from the Doctor...

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
Back from the Doctor...

"Success" as in you made it "back"? ;D  So....what'd the dr. have to offer you?  I wouldn't recommend back surgery unless it was the only option left to you.  But then, I'm not a doctor.  Just a duck.

Love,
Upgrade

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
"Success" as in you made it "back"? ;D  So....what'd the dr. have to offer you?  I wouldn't recommend back surgery unless it was the only option left to you.  But then, I'm not a doctor.  Just a duck.

Love,
Upgrade

A duck? I thought you were an old man who lived under a rock in Maryland?  ???  But by success I meant that he checked off massages on the script he gave me. I'm going to be so let down if these don't feel [really good].

The bad news is that certain things have worsened since I first became aware of them in 2005ish (though that wasn't really unexpected). The good news is that the doc didn't sound like he was thinking seriously about any surgery at this point.

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »

Love,
Upgrade

A duck? I thought you were an old man who lived under a rock in Maryland?  ???  But by success I meant that he checked off massages on the script he gave me. I'm going to be so let down if these don't feel [really good].

The bad news is that certain things have worsened since I first became aware of them in 2005ish (though that wasn't really unexpected). The good news is that the doc didn't sound like he was thinking seriously about any surgery at this point.

A duck disguised as an old man who lives under a rock in Maryland.  I quack with the best of them!!

Glad to hear you got the massages!!  Lucky man!!!  I won't pry any further into your medical history here in public.  Hope you feel better!!

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »
Dear Readers of this thread, after a long time spent away, I have returned.
With fondest love, Cadence.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
Just the other day I was wondering where you disappeared off to.  :P
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »

So, you make an April Fool's Day Appearance.  :laugh:
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Online Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2014, 03:25:00 AM »
Dear Cadence,

What's love got to do, got to do with it?

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »

So, you make an April Fool's Day Appearance.  :laugh:

Ironically enough, yes. Though I only just realised it.  ;D

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Russo-Finn Orthodox Church Outside Spain
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2015, 03:29:32 AM »
Dear Cadence,

Why did you not show up for this year's April Fool's Day?

hecma
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
Ugh.
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Russo-Finn Orthodox Church Outside Spain
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
Dear Cadence,

Why does Mor want to throw up?  Do you think he needs some dry toast and warm milk?

hecma
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »
Dear Cadence,

Why does Mor want to throw up?  Do you think he needs some dry toast and warm milk?

hecma

Dear hecma, it is entirely possible. Personally, I think he's simply missing my annually-resurfacing presence.