Author Topic: The Most Scraggly Beards in Orthodoxy  (Read 414 times)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
The Most Scraggly Beards in Orthodoxy
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
Fr. John Behr

Fr. Peter Heers

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: The Most Scraggly Beards in Orthodoxy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »

Separated at birth?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
I don't like such beards. I prefer dense and rough ones. But not every man is gifted in such way ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I don't like such beards. I prefer dense and rough ones. But not every man is gifted in such way ;)

We tend not to be big on the growing of the beards, nor do I have any shred of desire to do such a thing, but if I did I would go all out to to the glory of the pagan kings of old:

Ashurabanipal:

Sargon:

Nebuchadnezzar:

That's how to do it.  That's a beard that says I'm civilized and will repel the untamed beards of the barbarian hordes and force the clean shaven Romans to respect the royalty.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:37:55 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
Need to find a hairdresser with some serious braiding skills then.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
Fr. Peter Heers

Alithos yuck!

We had a neighbor whose beard looked like this. He kept it faithfully. Decades later I met him in Tennessee, where he'd moved, and he had a full, luxuriant beard. I can only imagine how long it took to get there. Some people's never will grow full, I imagine.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »

Musketeer-style beards can disguise a multitude of scraggly patches. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
I'd grow a sidebeard, Isaac Asimov style.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »

First you have to be anointed by priests, be baptized in the Euphrates, conquer lands, establish a kingdom, and be strong enough to repel the barbarian hordes...if you can do that you can grow the beard, if you can do that the hairdressers will come naturally.  That's the easy part.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:00:12 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »

First you have to be anointed by priests, be baptized in the Euphrates, conquer lands, establish a kingdom, and be strong enough to repel the barbarian hordes...if you can do that you can grow the beard, if you can do that the hairdressers will come naturally.  That's the easy part.

Yes well good luck with that.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »

That's what they said to Sargon
Holy Toledo!

Online Asteriktos

• titular master of all I survey
  • Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
Sargon:

This guy has a youtube channel, but his beard is pretty average nowadays.
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Who was a young decadent philosophy student ... Tell me another.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »
Sargon:

This guy has a youtube channel, but his beard is pretty average nowadays.

I think those beards aren't supposed to be realistic, but iconographic...they have that shape because they are supposed to depict kings, not to be realistic.  I'm not too sure how that would look in real life.  Hopefully Naram Sin will get a youtube channel as well pretty soon.

Still though, were I a Mesopotamian king I would have a gold and perfumed adorned beard with long curls and braids....Ashurabani-will would be bringing sexy back (get it  :) :) :))
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:19:38 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
Some day I'd like to try how long a beard can grow. Lenght is not the problem but it gets bushy rather easily without trimming.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »

I'll take the bait for one, and only one of your posts and feed you because I'm a passenger on a long car ride and am  a bit miserable right now listening to awful music and conversation.  Misery loves company:

The origins of King Sargon are a bit murky.  He may have been someone from within the royal administration, but he is also listed at times as coming from humble beginnings.  He was also looked at as the ideal king in Mesopotamia for over two millennium.  It's odd to call him "decadent" or a philosophy student.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:39:44 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »

I'll take the bait for one, and only one of your posts and feed you because I'm a passenger on a long car ride and am  a bit miserable right now listening to awful music and conversation.  Misery loves company:

The origins of King Sargon are a bit murky.  He may have been someone from within the royal administration, but he is also listed at times as coming from humble beginnings.  He was also looked at as the ideal king in Mesopotamia for over two millennium.  It's odd to call him "decadent" or a philosophy student.

Very odd. But just keep believing! You're a champ!

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
I think a full, healthy beard is #2,  right below "Orthodox", in attractive traits of a future husband.  In other words: please God, no scraggle.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
I think their obedience to their religious superior is beautiful.