Author Topic: Neymar thread  (Read 408 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Neymar thread
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:05:56 AM »
Today Brazil had her sweet revenge against Sauerkraut so I'm making a thread in praise of Neymar.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:07:42 AM by RaphaCam »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
Re: Neymar thread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:24:49 AM »
The Olympics is no World Cup.
1x1 and a victory in penalties is no 7x1.

Neymar is a multimillionaire who's got better bussiness to deal with than to worry about a cleansed honour (something that has not happened). He's cheered by small timers who'll never earn half of what he's got in their entire lifetime.
Winning or losing, he's making his fortune. And I doubt he cares about us.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:52:08 AM »

Agreed. Besides, Germany had a goal that should have counted.  Brazil's keeper clearly retreated into the goal with the ball going over the line.  The refs called twice as many fouls on Germany asthey did on Brazil and Brazil's players all deserve nods for best actor in a sporting event.  Brazil may be good at soccer but hardly anything else.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »

Neymar is a multimillionaire who's got better bussiness to deal with than to worry about a cleansed honour (something that has not happened). He's cheered by small timers who'll never earn half of what he's got in their entire lifetime.
Yeah, but it was a nice game much beyond what anyone would expect two weeks ago, why not enjoy it? Personally, I expected either a very tight 2 x 1 for Germany or a victory for either side on penalties (penalties = lottery).

Also, I'll never understand why most of us who aren't fanatics pick so much on football players, while the same doesn't apply for, say, actors or artists. They're obviously not heroes, but they're entertainers doing their job well and if you like their soccer it's logical to like them, just like actors or artists.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Also, I'll never understand why most of us who aren't fanatics pick so much on football players, while the same doesn't apply for, say, actors or artists. They're obviously not heroes, but they're entertainers doing their job well and if you like their soccer it's logical to like them, just like actors or artists.

Probably because most of us have a hard time taking grown men kicking balls around seriously, let alone justifying making stupid money out of that.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 10:50:13 AM »
Following this lead, we might as well have a hard time with grown men getting stupid money for pretending to be others on the TV, or for smearing paint on canvas.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Following this lead, we might as well have a hard time with grown men getting stupid money for pretending to be others on the TV, or for smearing paint on canvas.

Did you have to issue an invite for those threads to start? ;)

Either way I am happy that Brasil won (because yes, that's who I cheer for in general)

Negative Nivaldo's can just go be grouchy in their own houses. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:31:33 AM by DeniseDenise »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

Many of us do. Shocking, I know.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Online Svartzorn

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
I'm with Arachne on this one. I don't think the role of an actor or artist justifies the amount of money they get paid.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
Mind you, I don't at all believe that all entertainers, of any kind, should be the jobbing kind. I'm fine with them getting more money the more successful their works are. Selling 20 million records should definitely get you a lot richer than being in the local choir. But I don't agree with paying millions upon millions for a 'big name' without any guarantee of delivering the goods. We've all seen celebrities failing spectacularly, after all.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
I understand your point, and if you do read soccer money like art or acting money you're being coherent, I mentioned actors and artists because most people don't seem to mind these two categories while minding sportists. I don't think the amount of money soccer players get is proportional to their work, but this does not bother me, since it is clean money, and trust me, I have strict standards on what clean money is.

Did you have to issue an invite for those threads to start? ;)

Either way I am happy that Brasil won (because yes, that's who I cheer for in general)

Negative Nivaldo's can just go be grouchy in their own houses.
"Negative Nivaldo" is a new one for me. XD

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »

What a strange obsession with income.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »

Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »

First hand says how many World Cups we won, second hand says how many World Wars they lost.