OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:41:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking?  (Read 3627 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2013, 04:47:49 AM »

even most of the bans in Australia came about in the 2006-2009 period.

This is not at all correct.

My post referred to widespread bans on smoking in public places (all public places), not most of the anti-smoking campaigns you mentioned.  The quick succession of the dates of national smoking bans indicates a rapid spread of pretty significant anti-public smoking legislation (not advertising, not circumscribed prohibitions, not pictures on packs).  Nor did much of the previous history mentioned have much to do with Secondhand smoke data.

I think most of us are in agreement that smoking cigarettes is unhealthy, and now, that Australia has opposed its use for some time...

You would do well to revise your assertions on that country's bans on public smoking, my friend.  Smiley

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-15-smokefree-environment/15-7-legislation

A few relevant snippets:
A ban on smoking in all indoor dining areas was introduced in South Australia in January 1999.

In Tasmania all indoor public places and workplaces must be smokefree under the Public Health Act 1997

Smoking was banned in all enclosed restaurants, cafes and dining areas of hotels, licensed clubs and shopping centres in Victoria from 2001 under the Tobacco Act 1987

Occupational health and safety regulations introduced in July 1997 restricted smoking in enclosed workplaces in Western Australia, but did not specifically apply to patrons attending hospitality venues. In 1999 smoking in enclosed public places such as theatres, shopping centres and cinemas was banned under the Health (Smoking in Enclosed Public Places) Regulations 1999 (WA).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:03:12 AM by LBK » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »

*Ejecting from my tangent*
I'm helping a friend pick out his first pipe tomorrow.  Any suggestions for new ones?  I personally think "estates" are the way to go for learning, but they don't sell well, and many shops have stopped carrying them.  I'm not sure of his price range, although I would think $80-100.  

By "estates", do you mean old, used pipes?  If so, Ebay is the way to go.  You can get a lot for a very inexpensive price and pick the best looking ones.  My pipe collection is mostly this.  Also, my favorite pipe is a meerschaum I had ordered custom-carved in Turkey.  Meerschaum is great because it doesn't pick up the tobacco flavor like a briar pipe.  So, while your friend is trying to find the blend he likes, he can taste the flavor without tasting the previous bowl's contents.  PM me for the site, prices are very reasonable.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »

*Ejecting from my tangent*
I'm helping a friend pick out his first pipe tomorrow.  Any suggestions for new ones?  I personally think "estates" are the way to go for learning, but they don't sell well, and many shops have stopped carrying them.  I'm not sure of his price range, although I would think $80-100. 

By "estates", do you mean old, used pipes?  If so, Ebay is the way to go.  You can get a lot for a very inexpensive price and pick the best looking ones.  My pipe collection is mostly this.  Also, my favorite pipe is a meerschaum I had ordered custom-carved in Turkey.  Meerschaum is great because it doesn't pick up the tobacco flavor like a briar pipe.  So, while your friend is trying to find the blend he likes, he can taste the flavor without tasting the previous bowl's contents.  PM me for the site, prices are very reasonable.

First pipe for the first smoke? If so, a Missouri Meerschaum Corncob for about 6 bucks or less. This avoids fouling a more expensive briar with flavors he may not like as he tests the blends.
If he has smoked pipes before, and is sure he wants to invest $80-$100, a new Peterson or Savinelli should fit. Ebay is just too big a gamble, in my experience.

Remind him - puff slowly, do not inhale.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »

Remind him - puff slowly, do not inhale.

This!

I started with a briar pipe.  It was only $30-40, too.  I tried a few corncob pipes (in the $5-10 range), and maybe it was just a little too cheap, but I didn't care for them.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

First pipe for the first smoke? If so, a Missouri Meerschaum Corncob for about 6 bucks or less.
If you visit their website you'll see that they've got quite a selection of decent pipes.

http://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html

When he gets his pipe, I recommend taking it to a tobacco shop and have them show him how to fill it properly.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: