Author Topic: Bonsai  (Read 218 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Bonsai
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Does anyone here have bonsai trees? I've been trying to get into it off and on for most of my life. For various reasons my trees died untimely deaths, either from my own blunders or from misadventure (a few years ago the deer ate a promising yew seedling I had planted.) Well this year I'm getting serious. I've managed to root a black willow from a cutting by placing it in water a few weeks. I've planted it and it's growing nicely so far. I'm also rooting some weeping willow cuttings in water- I think they'll be ready to pot in 2 weeks. I tried some dogwood and crapabble branches too, using rooting hormone, but that didn't work out, I'll have to try that again.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the willows. If anyone cares I'll post pictures once I have something promising.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Bonsai
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Fascinating. I do hope you post pictures.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
Thanks. If anyone wants to try it, it's still a good time this year (if you're in the northern hemisphere). I simply followed what this guy does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-u92XJyHmY
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
After 3-4 weeks my weeping willow cuttings look like this. I potted one today.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Nice.  I remember visiting a Trappist monastery that specialized in bonsais.  Thanks for the pictures.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Albert Kopsho

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Does anyone here have bonsai trees? I've been trying to get into it off and on for most of my life. For various reasons my trees died untimely deaths, either from my own blunders or from misadventure (a few years ago the deer ate a promising yew seedling I had planted.) Well this year I'm getting serious. I've managed to root a black willow from a cutting by placing it in water a few weeks. I've planted it and it's growing nicely so far. I'm also rooting some weeping willow cuttings in water- I think they'll be ready to pot in 2 weeks. I tried some dogwood and crapabble branches too, using rooting hormone, but that didn't work out, I'll have to try that again.

Anyway, I have high hopes for the willows. If anyone cares I'll post pictures once I have something promising.
Holler Bonsai when working on those Bonsai trees.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
You joined the forum last August, and that's your first post? Really?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
Good for him.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
In any case, I typically try to keep my trees calm and not ardent for glorious death in battle.