Author Topic: open-letter-to-pope-francis-from-a-former-member-of-the Roman Curia  (Read 929 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
http://www.onepeterfive.com/open-letter-to-pope-francis-from-a-former-member-of-the-roman-curia/

Some excerpts:
... Following your own example, I shall omit to speak about all the good that you are doing and are speaking and I shall thus only list those aspects of your exercise of the papal office which seem to me to be problematic:

1. An emotional and anti-intellectual attitude of yours which is often tangible and which has difficulties in dealing with theories and doctrines ...

2. Authoritarianism ...

3. A populism of change ...

4. Your own conduct is seen as a critique of how your (often canonized) predecessors have lived, talked, and acted ...

5. Pastoralism ...

6. Exaggerated display of the simplicity of your own way of life ...

7. A particularism which often subjugates the goals and purposes of the Universal Church under the viewpoints of only a part of the Church ...

8. An urge for constant spontaneity ...

9. Lack of clarity about the interconnectedness of religious, political, and economic freedom ...

10. Meta-Clericalism ...

[conclusion]

... Unfortunately, I know that you are not yet capable of dealing well with such criticism – that is why I do not put my name on this letter. I want to protect my superiors against your wrath, especially the priests and bishops with whom I have worked for many years in Rome and from whom I have learned so much. You might want to work on taking away such fears – from me and from others – or, even better, to make such letters as this one superfluous, namely, by learning something from others. ...
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
Re: open-letter-to-pope-francis-from-a-former-member-of-the Roman Curia
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
The above letter is an English translation from the original German posted by OnePeterFive on December 9, 2015, so some things could have been lost in translation.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:43:42 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
What is pastoralism?
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
The above letter is an English translation from the original German posted by OnePeterFive on December 9, 2015, so some things could have been lost in translation.

Yet somehow the snarky tone came thru translation quite clearly ...
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »

You are probably correct.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »

And might be why it was posted here.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:15 AM »
What is pastoralism?

And what's Meta-Clericalism?

Quote from: Der namenloser Deutscher Kardinal
4. Your own conduct is seen as a critique of how your (often canonized) predecessors have lived, talked, and acted ...

So? He isn't allowed to do anything differently from his predecessors? Does this guy think that every Pope since St. Peter has done things exactly the same way?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
Wow, courageous....Couldn't even sign his or her name.