Author Topic: Muslims in America Condemn Extremists and Fear Anew for Their Lives  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
The attacks have left American Muslims feeling defensive and vulnerable just as the San Bernardino attack is forcing them to come to grips with the prospect that the threat from terrorists within their midst is very, very real.

The attack in San Bernardino, which left 14 victims dead and 21 injured, was in many ways the nightmare scenario for Muslims trying to gain full acceptance in American society: Syed Rizwan Farook, the husband who committed mass homicide with his wife, was raised in the United States and was an American citizen. He had a college education, a stable job, a comfortable home and a baby, and displayed no outward signs of anger, mental illness or radicalization. He worshiped and was known at several local mosques.

More here.

I also wonder if we're going to be seeing a wave of people in America deciding that remaining Muslim isn't worth it, and leaving the religion entirely. It's probably only a matter of time. And among some groups (e. g., Iranian diaspora) it's already happening.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: Muslims in America Condemn Extremists and Fear Anew for Their Lives
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
No doubt, some Sikhs will be beaten up. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
No doubt, some Sikhs will be beaten up.

Not if they all wear this:

Not to make light of the very real problem Sikhs face in the West.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:08:14 PM by lovesupreme »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »
Think also of the Arab and Desi Christians (and all non-Christians really).  No need for a turban.  After 9/11, we had one Copt in California killed by an ignorant bigot
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:09:55 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Think also of the Arab and Desi Christians (and all non-Christians really).  No need for a turban.  After 9/11, we had one Copt in California killed by an ignorant bigot

In general, the West needs to learn that "Arab ≠ Muslim"

(Odd that "Eastern Orthodox" appears to cover all Orthodox Arabs... I guess the OOs who participated selected it as the closest thing?)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
You're always going to have the racist, bigoted morons who threaten and actually act upon their hatreds and fears, but ever since 9/11, the Muslim community has alway said they live in fear of retaliation, but nothing even close to some overreaching systemic campaign against Muslims or those who appear Muslim has ever materialized.  It reminds me of how Jewish groups like the ADL and even the mainstream media were so afraid that Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ, would incite Christians who saw the movie to start persecuting Jews and rounding them up and lynching them.  Such a thing never happened.

We are always told that not all Muslims are terrorists and that we should give them the benefit of the doubt.  Why does the Muslim community not give Americans the same benefit of the doubt that they demand we have for their co-religionists?  Americans are a very generous, charitable people.  There will always be the jerkwads who do horrible things.

An acquaintance of mine from grad school who was (nominally) Syrian Orthodox thought that he would be beaten up after 9/11 or worse because he is of Indian ancestry.  Nothing happened.  He almost got upset that it didn't happen because, in his mind, Americans are racist bigots and cannot be anything else besides that.  So, one day, he went down to the quad and started announcing that he was a Muslim and how he thought the 9/11 attackers were heroes and that he was glad the  9/11 attacks happened.  Guess what happened?  A bunch of students didn't take to his talk too kindly and he took a few punches because of that.  To him, that proved that America was racist and bigoted, forgetting entirely that his utterly stupid statements caused him to get him thumped, not his skin color.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
You're always going to have the racist, bigoted morons who threaten and actually act upon their hatreds and fears, but ever since 9/11, the Muslim community has alway said they live in fear of retaliation, but nothing even close to some overreaching systemic campaign against Muslims or those who appear Muslim has ever materialized.  It reminds me of how Jewish groups like the ADL and even the mainstream media were so afraid that Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ, would incite Christians who saw the movie to start persecuting Jews and rounding them up and lynching them.  Such a thing never happened.

We are always told that not all Muslims are terrorists and that we should give them the benefit of the doubt.  Why does the Muslim community not give Americans the same benefit of the doubt that they demand we have for their co-religionists?  Americans are a very generous, charitable people.  There will always be the jerkwads who do horrible things.

An acquaintance of mine from grad school who was (nominally) Syrian Orthodox thought that he would be beaten up after 9/11 or worse because he is of Indian ancestry.  Nothing happened.  He almost got upset that it didn't happen because, in his mind, Americans are racist bigots and cannot be anything else besides that.  So, one day, he went down to the quad and started announcing that he was a Muslim and how he thought the 9/11 attackers were heroes and that he was glad the  9/11 attacks happened.  Guess what happened?  A bunch of students didn't take to his talk too kindly and he took a few punches because of that.  To him, that proved that America was racist and bigoted, forgetting entirely that his utterly stupid statements caused him to get him thumped, not his skin color.

Did Maria hack into your OCNet account?
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »

What are you implying?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

What are you implying?

That Maria might have hacked into your OCNet account.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »

What are you implying?

I wasn't asking you. ;)

Mor, she obviously hasn't, so I ask again: what are you implying?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »

What are you implying?

I wasn't asking you. ;)

You used an anecdote. It is probably nothing more than that.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »

What are you implying?

I wasn't asking you. ;)

Your anecdote sounds insanely unlikely.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:07 AM »

What are you implying?

I wasn't asking you. ;)

It happened.  Or are you calling me a liar?  Why not just come right out and say it?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 01:36:26 AM »

What are you implying?

I wasn't asking you. ;)

It happened.  Or are you calling me a liar?  Why not just come right out and say it?

YOU WANNA FIGHT, BRO?!

Seriously, relax.  I think your story sounds unlikely.  That's all.