Author Topic: Orthodox folklore regarding the Byzantine Empire amd Russia  (Read 640 times)

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Orthodox folklore regarding the Byzantine Empire amd Russia
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »
One area of interest to me is folklore concerning the role of the old Byzantine or Roman Empire and Russia in human society.  I at one point, I forget where, read something along the lines of a fringe perspectove within Orthodoxy that the role of the Roman Empire and later, Czarist Russia, was, even on the face of persecutions of Christians by Rome, somehow connected by an act of presumably irresistible divine will to the constraint or suppression of the antichrist.   I am interested in this idea, and others like it, out of curiosity; I am not expressing any preference for or rejection of these ideas.

I am also interested in any equivalent ideas from smaller Orthodox populations, for example, that relate to the national identity or purpose of Serbia, Romania, et al, or indeed Oriental Orthodox ideas of this sort.  Basically any sort of less than dogmatic folklore that seeks to connect a local church with the history and identity of the nation in which it operates.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!