OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:25:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Valentine's Day  (Read 2049 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: February 14, 2003, 02:39:36 AM »

Let me be the first, to wish you and yours, a

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOX

Your friend,
Bobby

PS, Of course the OCA website has Venerable Auxentius
of Bithynia for the saint of the day (!?!?!), I give you the following troparion and Icon for St. Valentine.

Troparion (Tone 4)
Thou hast become like the Apostles in their states, a successor to their throne, finding indeed the intelligential ladder, O thou God-inspired. Therefore, thou hast followed the Word of God in righteousness, and striven unto blood for the Faith. O Martyr among Priests, Saint Valentine, intercede with Christ God to save our souls.
Icon here: http://www.comeandseeicons.com/inp37.htm

I got in trouble from comeandseeicons.com last year because I linked their icon, so just know that I am putting my self on the line to provide you with a fantastic icon to venerate.

Boby
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 03:24:08 AM »

And there will be a lot of people visiting his relics in Glasgow today !

to all you unmarried folk take heart Wink

Happy Valentines Day
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 04:24:40 PM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 03:47:51 PM »

St. Valentine's Day? Tongue Wrong calendar Bobby, you're4 months and 5 days early!. Wink Martyr Tryphon for us Old Calendarists today.

MOSCOW. Jan 15 (Interfax) - Relics of the martyr St. Valentine, transferred by the Catholic community of the Italian town of Terni to the Russian Orthodox Church, will be displayed in the Christ the Savior Cathedral, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said during the transfer ceremony.

"The relics of the martyr St.Valentine will be displayed in the cathedral so our believers will be able to pray before them," the Russian patriarch said. He also said that "Russian believers view this transfer as a spiritual act. Russian believers now have an opportunity to remember St.Valentine on the day of his memory, and also pray before his sacred relics," he said.

Bishop Vincenzo Paglia, the leader of the Italian delegation, said that "this event symbolizes deep affinity in the joint professing of the Holy Gospel."

He also said that the third millenium will be a millenium of "peace and Christian love."

The idea to transfer the relics of the martyr St.Valentine was proposed by Vincenzo Paglia, head of the christian community of the Italian town of Terni. An agreement on the transfer was reached with the Russian patriarch back in July, 2001. Paglia believes that the transfer of part of the relics will strengthen cooperation between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic community of Terni.

In the West, St.Valentine is considered the patron saint of lovers.

The tradition of marking the day of lovers on February 14 has taken root in Russia in recent years. The Russian Orthodox Church, however, marks St.Valentine's Day on July 19. In Russia the patron saints of family and marriage are St.Peter and St.Fevronia, the Moscow Patriarchate said.        

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I posted this before it seems.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 03:49:29 PM by Nicholas » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 04:30:01 PM »

Come on Nicholas - he didn't actually say St Valentines Day Cheesy

And he did say <<Of course the OCA website has Venerable Auxentius of Bithynia for the saint of the day (!?!?!), >>

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 06:14:59 PM »

Valentine's Day in America sucks! I hate this holiday Angry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 06:15:30 PM by sinjinsmythe » Logged

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 06:32:23 PM »

True slave, but any excuse to pick on Robert is a good one Cheesy You should see how he picks on poor Anastasios behind the scenes! Wink

But anyway Happy SAINT Valentine's Day to our friends following the Tridentine Latin Calendar.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 06:44:14 PM »

OK - but if he does it behind scenes - shouldn't you ??

Fairs fair in love  [ oh ! - and war Sad]

How about organising a trip here for this day next year - and of course  you would be able to venerate the relics of St Valentine !! Cheesy

- St. John Maximovitch
Tags: Celebrations 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: