OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:42:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godparents  (Read 1362 times) Average Rating: 0
irene

OC.net

« on: July 21, 2005, 05:06:31 PM »

Hi,

Do you need two Godparents if you are converting?   

I have someone in mind to ask, do I just go ahead and ask?   She has been helping me a lot at church.  She is a very busy person,     will it require a lot of her time?  I don't know  any Orthodox males, (if you need two people), well enough to ask.

Thx for your help.

Irene 

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 05:17:43 PM »

When I got to that point, my priest told me that it was fine if I only had one.  I actually got more grief out of other parishoners about just having a godmother instead of a godfather or both, but Father had no issues with it.  I just went ahead and asked her, which I assume is how you do it (of course, I could have just gone off on my own on that one).  As for time, I think it varies from godparent to godparent (and godchild to godchild).  I'm a handful to deal with in all respects, so mine puts in a lot of time with me.  Others may not require as much, so I suppose that's really between you and her. 

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 07:32:31 PM »

yea, you don't need two. I was the only sponsor for a friend of mine. If you've begun the catechumenate, you can ask her, and you might want to run it past your priest first just so he knows what's going on. Good luck!

Qui cantat, bis orat
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:11 PM »

ÂÂ  Hi,

ÃƒÆ’‚ Do you need two Godparents if you are converting?  ÃƒÆ’‚  

ÃƒÆ’‚ I have someone in mind to ask, do I just go ahead and ask?  ÃƒÆ’‚ She has been helping me a lot at church.  She is a very busy person,  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚ will it require a lot of her time?  I don't know  any Orthodox males, (if you need two people), well enough to ask.

ÃƒÆ’‚ Thx for your help.

ÃƒÆ’‚ Irene  

ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

The Greeks usually have 2, while in Russian tradition there is usually one Godparent of the same sex as the Godchild. But you find exceptions to these rules too.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 07:50:30 PM »

[quote author=Νικολάος Διάκονος link=topic=6715.msg87868#msg87868 date=1121989631]
The Greeks usually have 2, while in Russian tradition there is usually one Godparent of the same sex as the Godchild. But you find exceptions to these rules too.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd be one of those exceptions.  Grin

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:24:25 AM »

And I only had one, a godmother (I believe in Romania the norm is to have one of the same sex, like the Russians, but you also often get couples) so I'd be an exception too. I think this falls more into the category of custom rather than Tradition.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 11:19:24 AM »

[quote author=Νικολάος Διάκονος link=topic=6715.msg87868#msg87868 date=1121989631]
[/quote]

I don't know what your talking about... In all the traditional Russian families that I know, and at all the traditonal baptisms I've been too... 98% of them have both a godmother and godfather. 
Of course this is different when an "of-age" person is converting, depending on the situation, but as far as children getting baptised, it's almost always both a godmother and godfather. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »

I think (not 100%) that you are only required one sponsor, but two is nice and traditional.  Two was also necessary in older times, when often the parents might die before the child is an adult, and the godparents would be amongst those called on to raise the kids (as was the case with my grandfather)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »

In the case of my wife and I, I was acquired by my godfather and wound up being 'adopted' by a new mother (my birth mother having passed on before my marriage).

My wife wound up receiving a godmother as well as a new very, very Greek mother-in-law. Wink

My wife's cup has indeed overflowed, as her new mother-in-law has actually asked her 'why her mother never taught her anything' such as the proper way to make spanokopita, how to cut vasiliko for the Holy Cross at church, how koulouraki should be rolled, etc. Tongue

So, watch out what you pray for---God may bless you more than you realize!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: