OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 03:53:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW Factor  (Read 1336 times) Average Rating: 0
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« on: July 20, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Wow factor is what I call the level of surprise experienced during reading Orthodox Books (especially the New Testament) when things "pop out" seemingly from no-where. It can be described, also, by finding verses "where they were not present before" or having read explanation by one or more of the fathers in regard to known verse that just smashes you skull in and leaves you somewhat light-headed by the power of the Patristic mind (read action of the Holy Spirit in that mind).

Basically, Wow factor is something that simply leaves you wondering how you were never been able to think about something certain way before, see certain verse/text/meaning and now it seems so painfully obvious.

So, please free to post your little Wow factor/s.

I will start with:

Eph 3, 10.  In order that now much complicated wisdom of God might be made known, through the Church, to principalities and to the authorities in the heavens.

I went over this verse and then read the commentary of St. John Chrysostom who says:
O blessed Paul, what are thou sayest? Art thou enlightening angels and archangels and principalities and authorities? Yes! says he. For it was hid in God from all creation. And dost thou venture to say this? Yes! says he. But whence has this become manifest to the angels? Through the Church! Again he says, not simply the manifold but much complicated (πολυποικιλος) wisdom of God, that is the 'mutiplied and varied'. What is this? Did not angels know it? Not at all; for if principalities knew it not, much less could angels ever have known it. What then? Did not even archangels know it? But who was to reveal it?

When we were taught it, then they were also through us!

As a heterodox, I would not even think of the possiblity  that the Church, is the angel above all angels. Through her the faithfull receive salvation, but even more, the universe receives revelation. I love her.

Lord have mercy.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 01:06:37 PM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:25:56 PM »

An excellent verse! Smiley One of mine would be this one:

"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." - Heb. 13:17

As a typical, low church Protestant, this brings up a few questions! I'm supposed to obey and submit myself to a man, and not just God? And for that matter, there is supposed to be someone who has rule over me? Who? How? And these people that rule over me not only serve as some type of spiritual guardians, must also give account for how they've done?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 09:26:41 PM by Paradosis » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »

1 Cor. 10:16 ~ "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?"

After having read testimony after testimony of folks who, before Milan and all that, professed the Real Presence, I go back and read this for what seemed the first time.  Be assured that it was NOT a verse that this former Southern Baptist had underlined in his Bible!  "So...the bread is how we share in the Body?  The wine is how we participate in the Blood?"  Good way to get me freaked out...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 03:43:22 AM »

As a heterodox, I would not even think of the possiblityÂÂ  that the Church, is the angel above all angels.

St. Kosmas the Aitolan said that if you meet a priest and an Angel on the road, you should kiss the priest's hand first- since he has the authority to absolve your sins, whereas the Angel does not.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
anncatherine

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 03:51:07 PM »

I often encounter the WOW factor singing stichera in the choir.

My favorites are: On ascension I was singing along and realized that the apostles were asking the Lord for the Comforter that they might not be left spiritual orphans.  I think all of has felt this sense of being an orphan and also the profound comfort of the Holy Spirit.

The other is something that came to me during Holy Week - I was singing about Judas taking bread from the Lord and betraying him with a kiss.  And I realized that I am the moral descendant of Judas - I receive the Holy Mysteries and kiss the holy images and then leave church to betray my Lord in my sin and arrogance.

May I continue to learn these lessons!!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 04:39:18 PM »

Since I became Orthodox I get that at least once a week reading the assigned reading for the day from either the epistles or gospels. Something jumps out or makes sense that never did before as a protestant.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »

ann,

i think that all of us who sing in th choir or are readers, etc., have many of these WOW moments.  Sometimes it's just because, at the risk of being accused of sounding Protestant, the Holy Spirit aids us in performing our duties, whether it be washing the dishes at church or reading scripture at home.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: