Author Topic: Why no hats?  (Read 9616 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Why no hats?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2015, 02:37:32 AM »
You can't tell me he's not lovable. Here's a link to some more pictures (only one more with a child, tho, unfortunately):

http://old.zagloba.me/index.php?showtopic=16352
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 02:38:14 AM »
If it's true that the Orthodox crown mitre didn't come into use until after the fall of the empire, what did they wear before? Did they wear any headgear at all?

It would seem the Old Believer mitre, worn below by Met Hilarion, seems also based on (Russian) imperial headgear, though it looks a lot comfier.

I tend to hate Orthodox headgear but I really dig this one.

Obviously.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:55 AM »
You can't tell me he's not lovable. Here's a link to some more pictures (only one more with a child, tho, unfortunately):

yeah, he looks like someone who'd be fun to talk too.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »

yeah, he looks like someone who'd be fun to talk too.

He's a disciple of st. Justin Popović and considered to be one of the best contemporary Serbian theologians.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
Weird as that soft mitre looks, might it possibly be derived from the episcopal cap worn before the appearance of the mitre?

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
If it's true that the Orthodox crown mitre didn't come into use until after the fall of the empire, what did they wear before? Did they wear any headgear at all?

It would seem the Old Believer mitre, worn below by Met Hilarion, seems also based on (Russian) imperial headgear, though it looks a lot comfier.

Obviously.

I don't know what you're implying and I don't particularly care to know.  :P
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2015, 01:31:15 AM »

Obviously.

I don't know what you're implying and I don't particularly care to know.  :P

I don't care if you don't particularly care to know.  It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

"The Bargain" by Nikolai Nevrev - a faithful depiction of what would happen when Mor and Tris negotiate your destiny.  Look how thrilled you are.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
I sincerely hope that I am the guy with the excessively long pipe. Otherwise, we may have to have words.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
I sincerely hope that I am the guy with the excessively long pipe. Otherwise, we may have to have words.

No, you're the fat guy.  I'm sorry.  Facts are facts.  I won't tell your wife that you touched Kelly on the shoulder.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2015, 12:05:57 AM »

No, you're the fat guy.  I'm sorry.  Facts are facts.  I won't tell your wife that you touched Kelly on the shoulder.
At least I have a fabulous hat. Also, we are no longer friends. Sorry, facts are facts.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2015, 01:29:37 AM »

At least I have a fabulous hat. Also, we are no longer friends. Sorry, facts are facts.  :laugh:

Hey, I'm the bearded serf in the background that brought her to you two!  Finder's fee, two kopecks, you bourgeois Pennsylvanian.  :P

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
He was originally in the OCA, but transferred to ROCOR. Sorry for the confusion.
Weird, because in the ROCOR parishes I have been to (Cathedral in Washington DC, Cathedral in San Francisco, the ROCOR churches in LA, the church in Poughkeepsie), the clergy do wear headgear, and are pretty accurate about it.

DC, CA, and Poughkeepsie:P

Also, a deacon who was awarded a kamilavka in the OCA (unusual for deacons who are not senior or monastic to wear them) stopped wearing it in ROCOR, presumably to wait until he was made protodeacon and properly awarded it by ROCOR.

Was he a ROCOR deacon or an OCA deacon?

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 03:40:12 AM »

"I has an Old Rite sad."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:43:18 AM by hecma925 »