OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paschal Canon  (Read 1263 times) Average Rating: 0
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« on: July 19, 2005, 06:59:29 AM »

With all the more serious topics here is something a little more trivial...

I was listening to the paschal canon in slavonic today and noticed (at least I think I did - my slavonic isn't so great!) that the short line between the troparia is "Christ is risen from the dead."  From spending last pascha on the Holy Mountain (at a Greek monastery) the same line was instead "Glory to thy holy ressurection, O Lord."  Is this simply an Athonite practice, the Slavs changing the words to fit a melody, something else or a case where the Slavs got it wrong (see if they used Greek they wouldn't have this problem Tongue )?

While we are on the trivial matters... why do the Slavs say (during the trisagion)  "Most Holy Trinity have mercy on us" whereas the Greeks say "All-holy Trinity have mercy on us" ?

See the ponderings a night of insomia will inspire...
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 11:02:46 AM »

Hmmm... I've never heard the Paschal canon done by Greeks, so I don't know what they'd say. As far as I know, the Slavs have always had "ХристосÑÅ  ÃƒÆ’Â²ÃÂ¾Ã‘ÐºÑ€ÐµÑÐµ изÑÅ  ÃƒÆ’Â¼ÃÂµÃ‘€Ñ‚выхÑÅ " as the refrain of the canon.

"All-holy Trinity" and "Most-holy Trinity" are, I think, just two differing translations of the same text. The Slavonic is "пресвятая Троица", with the first word being the same as in the phrase "пресвятая Богородица", "Most-holy Theotokos".

sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:39:54 AM »

I got no idea.

I heard Presveta Trojica (Пресвета Тројица) = Lit. Overholy Trinity, as in over in over expensive or truly more than normal, but when placed with words Holy and Trinity, every one know what is meant, it can not be compared not even to Presveta Bogorodica (Theotokos) even though it is the same word. This is, mind you, how I understand it. Also, Most Holy would be appropriate translation of Presveta, but I would be in pain to translate word Mostholy as Presvet(_) if I did not know what we were talking about, as Most..... just does not translate that easily.

But, also I heard Svesveta Trojica (Свесвета Тројица) = which is lit. of All-holy Trinity.

Lord have mercy.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:24:22 PM »

The only way that I've heard and/or sung it in the Greek Church (the verse for the Canon), according to our Typikon, is with the line "Glory to Your Holy Resurrection, O Lord."  (Doxa ti Agia Anastasi sou Kirie).  But then again, I've only been in Slavic churches a handful of times, and never to hear the Paschal Canon.  The last I checked, it was written into the Menaion as published by the Church of Greece (which leads into the interesting topic of why do the EP churches in America use Menaia that are set according to the Typikon of the Church of Greece, which can differ in places from the EP's - but that's for another day and place).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:10:50 AM »

I always remember it as Christ Is Risen from the Dead. That was/is the translation in our books and its stuck in the english printings ever since.

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: