Author Topic: Drugs more likely to kill you than guns  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Drugs more likely to kill you than guns
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:29:47 AM »
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/11/ryan-mcmaken/prescription-drugs-far-dangerous/

The DEA released new drug overdose data yesterday. According to the DEA press release:

DEA Acting Administrator Chuck Rosenberg today announced results from the 2015 National Drug Threat Assessment (NDTA), which found that drug overdose deaths are the leading cause of injury death in the United States, ahead of deaths from motor vehicle accidents and firearms.  In 2013, more than 46,000 people in the United States died from a drug overdose and more than half of those were caused by prescription painkillers and heroin.

These are 2013 numbers, so let’s compare to other causes of death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

A drug overdose, with a death rate of 13.9 per 100,000, is almost four times as common as a cause of death than gun homicides (3.6 per 100,000). Death from prescription drugs (7.2 per 100,000) is twice as common as gun homicides.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Drugs more likely to kill you than guns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:48 AM »
SWYP?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:16:41 AM »
Death from prescription drugs (7.2 per 100,000) is twice as common as gun homicides.

Still and all, I'd rather share a house with someone who kept prescription drugs in the bedside table than with someone who kept a loaded handgun there. (Anyone else here follow the Oscar Pistorius trial?)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:17:09 AM by FinnJames »

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »
Um ya...what's the point here?

Except that no one uses drugs for strong armed robbery, etc.   drugs may be more likely to be the cause of self-assisted suicide (intentionally or unintentionally) but no one Is consciously killing others with drugs as a mechanism of violence and coercion. (Except the cartels)

We certainly don't have an epidemic of school slaying with automatic dispensers of clonazopam. 

How many of the 7.2 per 100,000 had drugs forcibly imposed upon them? 
I've had guns pointed at me and threatened, but I'm yet to have someone pull out a crack pipe or hypodermic to do the same.   

Just saying.    And I pack heat everyday.   But I can see some of the simplistic gun lobby making hay out of this clearly Apples and oranges comparison. 

Not that you're doing that Maria...but I am trying to see the relevance?   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:09:19 AM by AaronIsom »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
Vaccines are the leading killer in the US. Big pharma is covering it up! Statistics show that 9 out of 10 deaths are people who have been vaccinated at some point in their lives.

#coverup #vaccinesareouttogetyou #bigpharmaistryingtokillyou
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Lew Rockwell, your top source for news and studies on guns and drugs.

Or, not.  ::)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LewRockwell.com
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »
Death from prescription drugs (7.2 per 100,000) is twice as common as gun homicides.

Still and all, I'd rather share a house with someone who kept prescription drugs in the bedside table than with someone who kept a loaded handgun there. (Anyone else here follow the Oscar Pistorius trial?)

Yeah, getting away with murder is a tragedy of justice.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
Point being that one gets major agenda push to ban, while the other gets little-to-no air play.
And if you pack daily then either do it or quit the JOB, as the comparison to have someone point a joint or gun at you is absurd.
If you are in a house with drugs or anything of value, the guy with a gun is going to come and take them and in the state of passion for those drugs, may do more than harm.

BTW, how does one unsubscribe from this thread? To much of a waste of time.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

Don't click on the link. Minimal self-restraint.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:20:44 AM »
I don't know in the USA, but here in Brazil I think people get killed in car crashes some of them under the influence of alcohol or another drug...

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
I don't know where to get the data on prescription drug overdoses.  Probably from the same source as I used for firearm deaths (CDC) but I don't have the time or inclination to sift through the info. 

Regarding Maria's source, the firearm homicide rate is pretty close.  As of 2013 it was 3.5 per 100,00 (11,208 in total).  Total firearm deaths were 10.6 per 100,000 (compared to motor vehicle traffic deaths at 10.7 per 100,000). 

As stated above 11,208 died of firearm homicides plus 21,175 by suicide for a total of 32,383.  In total, 33,636 died by firearm inflicted injuries, so 1,253 died via firearm but not by homicide or suicide. 

Sources:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
And if you pack daily then either do it or quit the JOB, as the comparison to have someone point a joint or gun at you is absurd.

What does this even mean?   You seem to be assuming something.   

Who said a joint?   

What would be smart is not simply apples and oranges comparisons, but a correlation between gun related deaths and drug activity.   Then your numbers start to make sense.   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:07:08 PM by AaronIsom »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
I don't know where to get the data on prescription drug overdoses.  Probably from the same source as I used for firearm deaths (CDC) but I don't have the time or inclination to sift through the info. 

Regarding Maria's source, the firearm homicide rate is pretty close.  As of 2013 it was 3.5 per 100,00 (11,208 in total).  Total firearm deaths were 10.6 per 100,000 (compared to motor vehicle traffic deaths at 10.7 per 100,000). 

As stated above 11,208 died of firearm homicides plus 21,175 by suicide for a total of 32,383.  In total, 33,636 died by firearm inflicted injuries, so 1,253 died via firearm but not by homicide or suicide. 

Sources:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm

Of course, the issue with drug-related deaths is that often deaths that are only tangentially related to drugs (the person smoked opium a few hours before being hit by an elderly driver who hopped the curb at 85 mph) get included in the number of deaths.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
Point being that one gets major agenda push to ban, while the other gets little-to-no air play.
If you are in a house with drugs or anything of value, the guy with a gun is going to come and take them and in the state of passion for those drugs, may do more than harm.

No one's paying you to comment.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

Your first two paragraphs make no sense at all.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

LenInSebastropol, assuming you don't know how to stop notifications from coming, here's a hint: If you're reading from the website, every time you comment on a thread the program automatically puts you on 'notify'. This notifies you each time someone posts in the thread by sending a message to your email account. In order to get this to stop, go to the thread on the website, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the word 'unnotify'. A box will open asking if you really want to stop receiving notifications. Click "OK" to stop receiving notifications. (You can also click 'unnotify' as soon as you post a reply on the website.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:59:29 PM by FinnJames »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

LenInSebastropol, assuming you don't know how to stop notifications from coming, here's a hint: If you're reading from the website, every time you comment on a thread the program automatically puts you on 'notify'. This notifies you each time someone posts in the thread by sending a message to your email account. In order to get this to stop, go to the thread on the website, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the word 'unnotify'. A box will open asking if you really want to stop receiving notifications. Click "OK" to stop receiving notifications. (You can also click 'unnotify' as soon as you post a reply on the website.)
That's not how this forum works.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »

Don't click on the link. Minimal self-restraint.

:-*
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »

Thank God.  If the forum's default was to spam my inbox, I'd never come back. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »

I'll spam your inbox, baby.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »

dont ask dont tell...
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »

dont ask dont tell...
This isn't the 90's anymore. I carry my spam banner proudly.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »

Did Kelly hack TheTrisagion's account? 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
 ;D
God bless!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »

No one's paying you to comment.

So I am fired?

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »

Who said a joint?   
What would be smart is not simply apples and oranges comparisons, but a correlation between gun related deaths and drug activity.   Then your numbers start to make sense.

Not a numbers guy in this dog fight.
Many folks falsely believe thats guns should have more 'control' imposed on them and this position is done at a national level often; such is not the case with drugs and the misery caused by their prescriptions, illegal use and death.
Very little blah, blah about what the OP posted relative to drug overdose while much blah, blah is done regarding guns.
Yeah, none point a hypodermic needle at you demanding this or that, and I found that argument specious and an apple/orange kind of thing.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »

Who said a joint?   

Many folks falsely believe thats guns should have more 'control' imposed on them and this position is done at a national level often; such is not the case with drugs and the misery caused by their prescriptions, illegal use and death.
Very little blah, blah about what the OP posted relative to drug overdose while much blah, blah is done regarding guns.
Yeah, none point a hypodermic needle at you demanding this or that, and I found that argument specious and an apple/orange kind of thing.

Huh?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 05:16:40 PM »

Who said a joint?   

Do you remember the scare we had when the AIDS epidemic was rampant in the early 2000s. There were men with AIDS tainted hypodermic needles holding up stores. Some were poking people with these tainted needles.

Then there is this story .... conveniently not posted widely in the News Media.
60-some people in New Jersey are now being tested for HIV and Hepatitis after the nurse giving the flu shots reused the same syringe. The needle was changed out, but the syringe wasn't.
Neither are ever supposed be used more than once.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2-wants-to-know/2015/10/07/why-you-need-see-syringe-used-your-flu-shot/73542842/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:26:43 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »
In the early 2000's????

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
In the early 2000's????
We all know it was you, James.  >:(
God bless!

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »
In the early 2000's????

But, but, I was like 10!

Ten-year-olds were helping to sew those quilts with the names of those who had died from AIDS.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »
In the early 2000's????

But, but, I was like 10!

Ten-year-olds were helping to sew those quilts with the names of those who had died from AIDS.

I feel like you disapprove of this.

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »

Who said a joint?   

Do you remember the scare we had when the AIDS epidemic was rampant in the early 2000s. There were men with AIDS tainted hypodermic needles holding up stores. Some were poking people with these tainted needles.

Then there is this story .... conveniently not posted widely in the News Media.
60-some people in New Jersey are now being tested for HIV and Hepatitis after the nurse giving the flu shots reused the same syringe. The needle was changed out, but the syringe wasn't.
Neither are ever supposed be used more than once.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2-wants-to-know/2015/10/07/why-you-need-see-syringe-used-your-flu-shot/73542842/

Okay guys, don't overdo the analogy.   

I'm an NRA Leo firearms instructor.  I've got more guns in my house than you can possibly imagine.   I've worked high threat counterterror ops worldwide and run as a paramedic on the streets.   Anyone who is trying to make deaths from drugs and deaths by guns equivalent is selling a bill of goods.   

It just a dumb comparison.   A better comparison is drug related assaults with and without a deadly weapon (or not a gun) that result in death vs deaths by guns.

It doesn't matter if I'm more likely to die from drugs statistically, cause I DONT DO DRUGS!!!   But I can be anywhere and be subject to gun violence, and I can't control that.   

Besides, why not just title this thread, car accidents more likely to kill you than drugs.    Does that now mean drugs are just okie dokie?   The title of the thread and the article is framed a certain way to make a point, using raw data for effect, which doesn't actually say anything.   

I'm all for gun rights.   I'm not for dumb arguments for gun rights.   

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 05:51:01 PM »
In the early 2000's????

But, but, I was like 10!

It was in a sweatshop.   ;D

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
In the early 2000's????

But, but, I was like 10!

So, you do remember?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 05:59:31 PM »
Psychiatry: Hooking Your World on Drugs

How did millions become hooked on such destructive drugs? We need to look earlier than the drug.

Before falling into the trap, each individual was convinced that these drugs would help him or her to handle life. The primary sales tool used was an invented diagnostic system, the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV (DSM) and the mental disorders section of Europe’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD). Once diagnosed and the prescription filled, the harmful properties of the drugs themselves took over.

Forcing widespread implementation of this diagnostic sham, psychiatrists have ensured that more and more people with no serious mental problem, even no problem at all, are being deceived into thinking that the best answer to life’s many routine difficulties and challenges lies with the “latest and greatest” psychiatric drug.

http://www.cchr.org/cchr-reports/psychiatry/introduction.html

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
In the early 2000's????

But, but, I was like 10!

So, you do remember?

I remember that people died from AIDS.  But I certainly don't recall anything about people "AIDS tainted hypodermic needles" (I'd note, here, that a needle cannot have AIDS; a needle can carry HIV, but it cannot carry AIDS) holding up convenience stores.  I've actually never once heard a thing like that.

As well, I'm surprised you think there was some horrible epidemic of AIDS deaths in the early 2000's, given that deaths from AIDS rose every year from 1987 to 1995, and then dropped off precipitously afterwards (falling from a height of 52,000 that year, to 16,000 in 2001 - a 70% drop).  https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/news/168/hiv-aids-statistics

So I really have no idea what you're talking about.  I'm sure in the early 2000's there were kids sowing quilts for victims of HIV/AIDS.  However, I had no part in this.  Also, there were far more quilts being made in the early 90's.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »

How did millions become hooked on such destructive drugs? We need to look earlier than the drug.

Before falling into the trap, each individual was convinced that these drugs would help him or her to handle life. The primary sales tool used was an invented diagnostic system, the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV (DSM) and the mental disorders section of Europe’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD). Once diagnosed and the prescription filled, the harmful properties of the drugs themselves took over.

Forcing widespread implementation of this diagnostic sham, psychiatrists have ensured that more and more people with no serious mental problem, even no problem at all, are being deceived into thinking that the best answer to life’s many routine difficulties and challenges lies with the “latest and greatest” psychiatric drug.

You are aware that the Citizens Commission on Human Rights has strong ties to Scientology, yes? 

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »
Wait we go from drugs and guns to AIDS quilts. Can anyone stay on topic on a oc.net thread.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
I am going to get this off my chest. (Disclosure - my oldest son is a developmental biologist and inspired in part by the story I am about to recount.)

When I was growing up my mom's brother had six children, two of whom were boys, one is two years older than me and the other was two years younger. From their mom's side of the family, they both carried the  genetic sequence which led to hemophilia. In the 1950's the only treatment for the little injuries which to most of us were nothing but to them life threatening  was bed rest and transfusing of whole blood. This often resulted in crippling pain and both boys spend months bedridden or wearing elaborate motion restricting braces. I remember vividly how this impacted them and their parents as they grew up.

With the assistance of 'big pharma', 'big government' hard working scientists by the early 1960's learned much more than was known about this disease and led to the discovery of what are called clotting factor proteins in blood and the methods of extracting the same from blood by-products and plasma.' This allowed them to lead a relatively normal life, answering our family's prayers. But, a worse fate awaited the sufferer's of this disease when the AIDS epidemic came to these shores prior to the discovery of the virus and its identification with blood donations among the infected AIDS population. (please excuse my glossing over the more complex scientific aspects of the era...). While in medical school in the mid seventies out west the younger brother contracted HIV as a result of the tainted blood HLA antigens used in hemophilia treatment and he lingered through the early eighties before he died. His fiance left him and his mom and dad struggled with his pain and the reality that the cure became part of the disease. The older brother on the east coast did not contract HIV,married and has three children. None of his sisters carried the gene causing hemophilia -something they learned prior to attempting pregnancies and the disease has left their family. The development of HIV suppressants, again through funded and sustained research, came to late to save my younger cousin.

So I have little , call it no patience or respect for the anti-science or the conspiracies are everywhere crowd

I recount this story as there were a few attempts at 'humor' regarding ten year olds and AIDs quilts. There is nothing funny there regardless of the cause of this infection in any victim. And frankly, I prefer a world with science, advanced medicine and pharmacology than on without any of them. And faith has a place regardless.

Offline Onesimus

• Elder
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
Sorry if my joke was off color.   

I'm with you on everything you've said.   

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
I am going to get this off my chest. (Disclosure - my oldest son is a developmental biologist and inspired in part by the story I am about to recount.)

When I was growing up my mom's brother had six children, two of whom were boys, one is two years older than me and the other was two years younger. From their mom's side of the family, they both carried the  genetic sequence which led to hemophilia. In the 1950's the only treatment for the little injuries which to most of us were nothing but to them life threatening  was bed rest and transfusing of whole blood. This often resulted in crippling pain and both boys spend months bedridden or wearing elaborate motion restricting braces. I remember vividly how this impacted them and their parents as they grew up.

With the assistance of 'big pharma', 'big government' hard working scientists by the early 1960's learned much more than was known about this disease and led to the discovery of what are called clotting factor proteins in blood and the methods of extracting the same from blood by-products and plasma.' This allowed them to lead a relatively normal life, answering our family's prayers. But, a worse fate awaited the sufferer's of this disease when the AIDS epidemic came to these shores prior to the discovery of the virus and its identification with blood donations among the infected AIDS population. (please excuse my glossing over the more complex scientific aspects of the era...). While in medical school in the mid seventies out west the younger brother contracted HIV as a result of the tainted blood HLA antigens used in hemophilia treatment and he lingered through the early eighties before he died. His fiance left him and his mom and dad struggled with his pain and the reality that the cure became part of the disease. The older brother on the east coast did not contract HIV,married and has three children. None of his sisters carried the gene causing hemophilia -something they learned prior to attempting pregnancies and the disease has left their family. The development of HIV suppressants, again through funded and sustained research, came to late to save my younger cousin.

So I have little , call it no patience or respect for the anti-science or the conspiracies are everywhere crowd

I recount this story as there were a few attempts at 'humor' regarding ten year olds and AIDs quilts. There is nothing funny there regardless of the cause of this infection in any victim. And frankly, I prefer a world with science, advanced medicine and pharmacology than on without any of them. And faith has a place regardless.

Very, very well said.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
That's a messed up story Pod my condolesence. I understand why you have zero tolerance, I meant no joking, I seen someone in my neighborhood slowly deteriote because of AIDS. I'm just trying to figure out how we went from Guns and Drugs to talk of AIDS Quilts. God Bless You

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »

You are aware that the Citizens Commission on Human Rights has strong ties to Scientology, yes?

Scientology is strongly anti-psychiatry and urges its members not to use medication.

One of its members had a son who was mentally ill. When the young man went off his meds, he stabbed his mother to death.

That is not the only time something similar has happened.

Be very cautious if anyone praises organizations like these, or their "reports."