Author Topic: Orthodox without a Saint's Name  (Read 518 times)

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
Orthodox without a Saint's Name
« on: November 08, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
I was under the impression that one did not enter the Orthodox church without the name of a canonized saint. However, I found the following:

Quote from: A Guide for the Domestic Church (Eparchy of Newton, Office of Educational Services, 2012)
In the Byzantine tradition people whose names are not found on the calendar of saints would keep the Transfiguration of Christ (August 6) or the Dormition of the Theotokos (August 15) as their namedays, depending on whether they were men or women.

Who are these people who were chrismated without the name of a saint?
Dads of Orthodoxy:
On MeWeOn Facebook

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Re: Orthodox without a Saint's Name
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
I was under the impression that one did not enter the Orthodox church without the name of a canonized saint. However, I found the following:

Quote from: A Guide for the Domestic Church (Eparchy of Newton, Office of Educational Services, 2012)
In the Byzantine tradition people whose names are not found on the calendar of saints would keep the Transfiguration of Christ (August 6) or the Dormition of the Theotokos (August 15) as their namedays, depending on whether they were men or women.

Who are these people who were chrismated without the name of a saint?

Presumably many of the saints themselves. Every saint's name had to have been a "first" at some point (except for the Biblical saints, of course). How else would we have ended up with so many different saints' names originating from cultures like the Celtic, Slavic, Anglo-Saxon, etc.?

Although there are also examples of saints who were given baptismal names, yet whose original names are still known (Vladimir the Great, for instance, who took the name Basil, although he remained primarily known as Vladimir), and thus they have two names. Presumably this also means that if you were Orthodox and wanted to name your son Cungagnaq, you could.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
I didn't go through a catechumenate, receive formal chatechism, get rebaptised, or get a saint's name at conversion, nor was I asked to renounce any particular heresies as far as I remember, nor did I spit to signify my rejection of the Devil. I don't know what other things are sometimes done with Protestant converts. I have been told that I received Orthodox Chrismation, but that would have been done sixteen years ago.

So sometimes people join the Orthodox Church without going through every step available. I think canonically though you at least have to undergo Chrismation if you were Protestant.

The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Kmon23

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
If I am not mistaken, many people in Romania don't get saint names in the hope of the said person becoming a saint (and making that name a saint name).