Author Topic: Martin Luther and Romans 3:28 - Defense in adding "Alone"  (Read 842 times)

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
Martin Luther and Romans 3:28 - Defense in adding "Alone"
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:20:56 AM »
http://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/2006/02/luther-added-word-alone-to-romans-328.html

Interesting defense of Luther especially this quote:
“Furthermore, I am not the only one, nor the first, to say that faith alone makes one righteous. There was Ambrose, Augustine and many others who said it before me.”

Thoughts?

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Re: Martin Luther and Romans 3:28 - Defense in adding "Alone"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that it was actually Pelagius who was the first to add "alone" to Romans 3:28, and that contrary to what some Protestants think, he didn't teach works-righteousness. Rather, he, like a fifth-century Charles Finney, taught "easy-believist" revivalism. Augustine's objection to Pelagius was not primarily soteriological, but rather ecclesiological, since if you can be saved by simple individual "easy belief" in Jesus, that renders the Church and the sacraments utterly irrelevant to salvation.

One of the Princeton theologians (Warfield, I think it was) said that the Reformation was the triumph of Augustine's view of salvation over Augustine's view of the Church. Perhaps it might be more apt to say that monergistic Protestantism is actually Augustine's soteriology married to Pelagius' ecclesiology!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:36:16 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
I get very wary when anyone adds words in to Scripture to make it support their theology. If St Paul had wanted the word "alone" to be there, he would have written it.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that it was actually Pelagius who was the first to add "alone" to Romans 3:28, and that contrary to what some Protestants think, he didn't teach works-righteousness. Rather, he, like a fifth-century Charles Finney, taught "easy-believist" revivalism. Augustine's objection to Pelagius was not primarily soteriological, but rather ecclesiological, since if you can be saved by simple individual "easy belief" in Jesus, that renders the Church and the sacraments utterly irrelevant to salvation.

One of the Princeton theologians (Warfield, I think it was) said that the Reformation was the triumph of Augustine's view of salvation over Augustine's view of the Church. Perhaps it might be more apt to say that monergistic Protestantism is actually Augustine's soteriology married to Pelagius' ecclesiology!

Did (Blessede? Saint?) Augustine believe the Church was still necessary for salvation in whole? The City of God is still on my backlog.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
I get very wary when anyone adds words in to Scripture to make it support their theology. If St Paul had wanted the word "alone" to be there, he would have written it.

Yep.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

Leave me alone, I was only singing

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang