OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:26:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testimony of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Prizren  (Read 676 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: July 18, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »

I have waited quite some time before posting this thread (understanding it probably won't be too popular), however, in light of certain posts by another member, I thought I would bring it up.

In May of this year, Roman Catholic Bishop of Prizren Marko Sopi (who is ethnically Albanian) gave testimony at a congressional hearing regarding the future of Kosovo.

I'm sure many of you know, Bishop Sopi has been a very outspoken proponent about Kosovo independence and has made many outlandish claims (like Serbian Orthodox Churches being built on the ruins of Albanian Churches).  Needless to say, he is no friend to Orthodoxy.

However, what concerns me most about his *sworn* testimony before the congressional committee was two obvious misstatements (I'm being generous with my use of that word).

In sum, Bishop Sopi stated that the Albanian pogroms against Serbs (in March of 2004) were a result of "Serbians drowning three young Albanian boys in a river". 

This story was proven false about three days after it was initially claimed in the Kosovo Albanian media (so it was known to be false in March of 2004).  Yet Bishop Sopi, claimed it as *fact* when it has been disproven as complete fiction for more than 1 year.  Does the commandment for bearing false witness not apply to this Bishop?  If it does (as I'm sure we all can assume it does), what if any are the appropriate ramifications against this blasphemer by his Church?  Why has Rome not acted?

The second part of this testimony, was even more troubling.  He stated, that as long as the Serbian Orthodox Church was acting as a "political tool" of Belgrade, the Church and its building's were fair targets of Albanian anger, thus justifying the destruction of Orthodox Monastaries all across Kosovo.

There are so many things wrong with the second statement, I don't even know where to begin, but lets just assume for a second that he is correct (that the SOC is a tool of Belgrade).  Does that mean that the RCC openly advocates the desecration and destruction of "other" religious buildings if they have political affiliations? 

Now, don't get me wrong, I think my beloved Patriarch has bent over backwards to be at odds with the Serbian government of MANY issues.  To suggest the SOC is a tool of Belgrade is just ridiculous, but even assuming they are, I think Sopi is still way off.   Yet, I've never heard anything out of Rome against this guy. 

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: