Author Topic: Do you think a Patriarch of USA can be a positive force ?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
Do you think a Patriarch of USA can be a positive force ?
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
Imagine a very old & bearded Patriarch, a respected holy elder who leads the Orthodox Church of America, do you think that can be a moral booster & a positive force ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:54:47 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
Re: Do you think a Patriarch of USA can be a positive force ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
For any other country I would say yes.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
Imagine a very old & bearded Patriarch, a respected holy elder who leads the Orthodox Church of America, do you think that can be a moral booster & a positive force ?

I think a unified Church with an accepted leader could be a moral and positive force but said person need not be a 'very old and bearded' holy elder. (Yeah, he has to have a beard, but there are beards and there are beards and he has to have earned the respect of his people......)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »
A moral booster and positive force for whom, Orthodox laity in America or Americans in general?
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:24:07 PM »
A moral booster and positive force for whom, Orthodox laity in America or Americans in general?

I think both perhaps...the late Archbishop Iakovos of thrice blessed memory, comes to mind...

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
If they were a talented and wise rhetorician, practical politician, adequate theologian, and put the Sermon on the Mount first, sure. Or just the last thing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:42:41 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »

I think both perhaps...the late Archbishop Iakovos of thrice blessed memory, comes to mind...

Weren't there rumors that he was planning on being declared Patriarch of America?
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »
I nominate Brother Nathaniel ;)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 12:29:26 AM »

I think a unified Church with an accepted leader could be a moral and positive force but said person need not be a 'very old and bearded' holy elder. (Yeah, he has to have a beard, but there are beards and there are beards and he has to have earned the respect of his people......)

Well, there is a long American-as-apple-pie tradition of "mountain men".

Obviously the bearhead wouldn't be an appropriate headpiece for a hierarch, but in keeping with American sensibilities, the Patriarch could still have a more rustic or "outdoorsy" look to his vestments than his Old World counterparts would.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline hayabusa

• An honorary Serb
  • Elder
  • I reject the Crete 2016 robber council
  • Faith: MP, but my hart belongs
  • Jurisdiction: to Eparchy of Raska-Prizren in Exile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »

No.

Him, and his synod would just be an easy target for anti-Christian governmental forces to push on. In case of preaching Orthodoxy, he would be elimiteted soon (reposed by a staged scandal, or outrightly killed).

Americans are much more better off with overleaping jurisdictions, since there are chances that they could find unadultered Orthodoxy somewhere.
Hayabusa's avatar and signature line have been edited thrice (10 and 14 Dec 2015, 8 Jan 2016) in order to conform to forum rules regarding political commentary in the public fora. 

Mor Ephrem, section moderator

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 02:53:24 AM »

No.

Him, and his synod would just be an easy target for anti-Christian governmental forces to push on. In case of preaching Orthodoxy, he would be elimiteted soon (reposed by a staged scandal, or outrightly killed).

Americans are much more better off with overleaping jurisdictions, since there are chances that they could find unadultered Orthodoxy somewhere.
Do you really think if he is a pious and beloved of God, that the Lord will let the devils make mockery of him ?

Actually i am more concerned if he be just another ecumenist, in which case it will be a disaster.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 02:57:11 AM »

No.

What anti-Christian government?

Almost all U.S. elected officials are Christian.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 02:59:23 AM »
Thread locked pending review.