OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What on earth a is "an RSS feed"?  (Read 2367 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: July 18, 2005, 07:18:38 AM »

OC.net now has an RSS feed. Let me know if you would like additional ones added.

Could someone please explain (in terms which a Luddite can understand) what exactly an "RSS feed" is?
Thanks,
George

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 12:14:26 PM »

That's not for you to know! If you were a true geek you would know, and since you don't know it merely proves that you are not a true geek. Yet, maybe there is a true geek inside of you, trying to get out. Maybe peer pressure to be "cool" and "well liked" has caused you to subconsciously suppress your geekanity. You need to get in touch with the inner geek. Let him move freely throughout your soul, interpenetrating your deepest being. Then, perhaps, your inner geek will manifest itself, and you will understand so simple a matter as an RSS feed.

For the record, I have no clue what an RSS feed is either. Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 12:23:06 PM »

Well, I'm fairly geeky, but I have no idea what an RSS feed is either.

Of course, I'm more of the Twinkie-eating, Bawls-swilling, DND-playing species of geek and not the LAN-partying, Unreal-playing, website-hacking species that Bobby is.  So maybe he can illuminate us mere mortals as to what in the Mordor an RSS feed is.

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »

RSS means if you have a blog or a website and you want there to be a window on your page that has the most recent 5 posts from the forum linked, then voila, there you go it's there.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:37:54 PM »

Does this mean that Anastasios is a true geek?  Wink Grin
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »

This just proves that he's a computer geek, which we already knew. Grin Tongue

And I'm thinking to stick a feed to this site on my blog, just because I can.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »

RSS (RDF Site Summary - formerly called Rich Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication) is a method of describing news or other Web content that is available for "feeding" (distribution or syndication) from an online publisher to Web users. RSS is an application of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) that adheres to the World Wide Web Consortium's Resource Description Framework (RDF). Originally developed by Netscape for its browser's Netcenter channels, the RSS specification is now available for anyone to use.

A Web site that wants to "publish" some of its content, such as news headlines or stories, creates a description of the content and specifically where the content is on its site in the form of an RSS document. The publishing site then registers its RSS document with one of several existing directories of RSS publishers. A user with a Web browser or a special program that can read RSS-distributed content can read periodically-provided distributions. Some current directories of RSS files include Meerkat, GropSoup, NewsIsFree, UserLand, and XML Tree; these sites are sometimes known as content aggregators. RSS browsers include Headline Viewer and Novobot.

News is only one form of content that can be distributed with an RSS feed. Other possibilities include discussion forum excerpts, software announcements, and any form of content retrievable with a URL.

Ain't no geek like an old geek...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 06:03:22 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6685.msg87850#msg87850 date=1121974038]
RSS (RDF Site Summary - formerly called Rich Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication) is a method of describing news or other Web content that is available for "feeding" (distribution or syndication) from an online publisher to Web users. RSS is an application of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) that adheres to the World Wide Web Consortium's Resource Description Framework (RDF). Originally developed by Netscape for its browser's Netcenter channels, the RSS specification is now available for anyone to use.

A Web site that wants to "publish" some of its content, such as news headlines or stories, creates a description of the content and specifically where the content is on its site in the form of an RSS document. The publishing site then registers its RSS document with one of several existing directories of RSS publishers. A user with a Web browser or a special program that can read RSS-distributed content can read periodically-provided distributions. Some current directories of RSS files include Meerkat, GropSoup, NewsIsFree, UserLand, and XML Tree; these sites are sometimes known as content aggregators. RSS browsers include Headline Viewer and Novobot.

News is only one form of content that can be distributed with an RSS feed. Other possibilities include discussion forum excerpts, software announcements, and any form of content retrievable with a URL.
[/quote]
Errr.....thanks....
Boy, do I feel old right now.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 04:49:58 PM »

Errr.....thanks....
Boy, do I feel old right now.

That was a good definition, but I bet you want to know what it means for YOU.

Let's say you have a favorite web portal such as My Yahoo.  You can subscribe to an RSS feed and have it display on your custom My Yahoo page.  That way, if you want to see what's new on a website, you don't have to surf over there, you can pull up your web portal and see a summary of what's new and click on those links.  It's very useful when combined with podcasting (radio "broadcasts" of shows available for download).

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 10:28:41 PM »

don, dude, i love your name.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 02:36:02 PM »

don, dude, i love your name.

And I like your avatar.  Very clever.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: