OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 02:24:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The State of the GOA  (Read 5540 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2005, 08:02:13 PM »

How can a "writing style" make one look pretentious? What about those for whom English is not the first language- would you say their writing style "makes them look stupid"?

Obviously one's writing style can make him look pretentious if he writes in an antiquarian fashion designed to show superior knowledge or correctness in form that has nothing to do with the argument.

As far as people whose first language is not English, that is not relevant to this case because they do not write intentionally in a way that highlights them as different or unique.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2005, 08:14:54 PM »

Obviously one's writing style can make him look pretentious if he writes in an antiquarian fashion designed to show superior knowledge or correctness in form that has nothing to do with the argument.

Yeah, like if I was pretentious, I might point out that Anastasios here is committing an unnecessary shift in pronoun: to wit, he has gone from "one's" to "him" and "he". I might point out, in superior fashion, that one should always be consistent with one's pronouns, otherwise one shall be open to correction. Tongue

(Btw, I don't even know if the above is totally accurate, I just thought I'd give it a shot since our esteemed Admin is such a sticker for proper grammar and spelling, even to the extent of editing other people's threads  Grin)

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2005, 08:17:46 PM »

Yeah, like if I was pretentious, I might point out that Anastasios here is committing an unnecessary shift in pronoun: to wit, he has gone from "one's" to "him" and "he". I might point out, in superior fashion, that one should always be consistent with one's pronouns, otherwise one shall be open to correction. Tongue

(Btw, I don't even know if the above is totally accurate, I just thought I'd give it a shot since our esteemed Admin is such a sticker for proper grammar and spelling, even to the extent of editing other people's threadsÂÂ  Grin)

Dude, I just don't like it's vs. its mistakes, I edited ONE THREAD where someone posted such a mistake in a title that was being repeated over and over again every time one hit reply, and making constructive corrections is NOT the same thing as deliberately writing in a non-standard style.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2005, 08:21:12 PM »

Whatsoever thou sayest, my dear Anastasios. I shant argue the point and continue to be contrary.ÂÂ  Tongue

I'm just joking a bit, I think the talk about how other people talk has gotten way too serious here. I Capitalize a lot of Stuff When I Write in Real Life as well, it Has nothing to do With a Conscious Attempt to follow some Rule, It is just a Thing I picked up When taking Computer Programming in Vo-Tech. I do Try to Limit Caps to Titles and Whatnot on the Internet, Though. Smiley

Itz NoT liKE I aM TalkiN lIKe ThiS. I HAtE That!?

Or this... >#@#$@#$ÂÂ  Oh wait, one of the chief honchos here does thatÂÂ  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 08:23:24 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2005, 10:08:50 PM »

Wow - I go away to summer camp for 5 weeks of work and a jewel of a thread like this starts?  And now that I am hopping in so late in the game, there is far too much to respond to on my current energy level (I love working at the Summer Camp, but for about a week after it's over I am completely sapped of all my energy).

Let's dig in, shall we?

- GiC sounding like a 

pretentious, pompous a**?

Right.  So my dear friend GiC is confident in his opinions and very direct.  Sometimes that comes off as arrogant and pretentious.  He can sound that way conversationally, too.  It is not out of his personal ego or a need to "stir the pot," but again out of a confidence in his positions (of course, when he wants to stir the pot, he does so quite well). 

He is also not ethnically Greek; while he has adopted a love for Greece, he also uses Greek in a classical way (Romiosini, as Fr. John would rather have it).  Anyway, this discussion is inconsequential to the matter on the Subject line.

- Papism.  Misnomer.  In fact, many of the lay people in the GOA are rather the opposite; more Protestant than anything else (as was pointed out earlier by Silouan).  They have been influenced by the "American Spirit" and the circumstances in which the GOA grew (which were quite different than the other jurisdictions).  Many of the people are true congregationalists; a modified form of this position could be quite useful (as my Metropolitan is quick to point out, the fullness of the Church exists within the local parish when the members are present for the Eucharist with the blessing of the Bishop) but the extreme form that can often be found is quite harmful.  GiC, on the other hand, is a fan of the Canonical Tradition of the Church, which leaves many more rights and responsibilities in the bishops and the EP than are exercised currently.

- Anti-Tradition.  Wow, where did this come from?  I don't know too many who are so strongly anti-monastic or whatnot.  Of course, my Metropolis of the GOA was the first to integrate Monastic communities in the Post-HTM era, and now we have 4 communities and 2 monastic institutions (organizations run by individual monastics in the area of service to the poor).  The problems we come across in the GOA are 1) lack of exposure to "traditional Orthodoxy", and 2) an all-too-cemented connection to the present secular culture through materialism (regardless of wealth and/or social status).  This is why you have people who don't know/care about headscarves, and/or namedays/Slavas/etc, the list goes on.  Part of it is that the people are not as quick to pick up practices that are not culturally popular; this is not a situation unique to the present time.  Remember, the Church was much smaller before St. Constantine; after the Edict of Milan, there was a sudden explosion in Church membership - go figure, the real believers were okay, but now you have an influx of people who are Christian because its okay to be, and because it is now increasingly popular.

- Nationalism / Ethno-centrism.  There are elements of both, but not majorities of either, in the GOA.  Okay.  You do have parishes who want only "Greeks" to attend.  Of course, if you know Greeks, then you know why I put that in quotation marks - because "Greek" depends on where you're from.  Many of the Southern Greeks think the Northerners are Bulgars and Albanians; Some in the West think that the Chians are Turks.  There are "Greeks" who will not like people whose ancestors are from a village only 20 miles from their own.  The Greek City-State lives on in the modern day amongst the dispersed Greeks (mainly those who came to this country 20-60 years ago, and have somehow formed their own village-cliques here that have nothing to do with "real" Greek culture in Greece). 

But here's the rub with both angles: nationalism isn't dominant, because we don't live in Greece, and the people don't want to live in Greece, and they don't want their church controlled by Greece.  They know "Greece" is nearly a third-world country over 75% of its land-mass.  They know that the government is corrupt.  And the people do accept as "Greek" those who are from areas that are not within the current political boundaries (like Asia Minor Greeks or Cypriot Greeks).  There's more nationalism here amongst the non-ethnic groups that insist that we sever all administrative and ecclesiastical ties with the "Old World" because they are 1) Out-of touch or 2) Not operating in our best interests.  And the real definition of Phyletism is the notion that the Church should be administratively split along Nationalistic boundaries.

Ethno-centrism is closer to the truth, but that exists in pockets where the focus is on the maintenance of ethnic identity.  I could give anecdotal evidence of how "widespread" this mindset is: in Cleveland we have 4 parishes; 1 is classified as ethno-centric, 1 as moderately accepting, and the other 2 as very accepting.  Within our Metropolis as a whole, the parishes that are not "ethno-centric" in their worldview outnumber the ones that are; in fact, the "ethno-centric" parishes often have reputations amongst the other parishes for their "hospitality."  Of course, you will have more "ethno-centric" parishes in areas with higher concentrations of Greeks (like Chicago, NY, Boston).

Wow, I'm getting tired and far too belligerent for my own good.  Good night all, and maybe I'll get back to this later.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2005, 10:20:04 PM »

You know, I shouldn't have let this thread develop like it did. I apologize to GisC.  I don't agree with a lot of what you write but you know, you don't deserve to have an entire thread attacking you.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: