OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:10:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonka 2005  (Read 714 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: July 17, 2005, 06:25:08 PM »

Back from seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, wanted to post some thoughts. I thought Deep Roy was absolutely fantastic as the Oompa Loompa--as every Oompa Loompa. The visual of seeing the same guy as dozens of oompa loompas, performing intricate dancing/singing routines, was really funny (and cool). The visual elements themselves were pretty good, though not spectacular. I thought Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka was a much better character, and much more natural, even if it was much less true to the original story (so I'm told). Depp did as good as anyone could have done with the role, I guess. It's hard to play a part that has such high expectations. I thought the kids were much better than the original; much more alive, so to speak. Their personalities came out much better, since they were not so restrained as the kids in the original seemed to be. The only exception that I can think of is Veruca Salt. The girl in the original movie sounded more naturally snobbish and childish.

Overall, though, I prefer the old version of the movie. I normally like more realistic, darker things. But in this case, some of the stuff just seemed downright strange and creepy (not in a good way), and there were lines where Depp had to force the dialogue way too much, whereas with Wilder it was like you could almost believe that he really was Willy Wonka. Also, while I thought the music was great, there were two problems. First, I couldn't understand half of what they were singing. And second, after the movie, I couldn't remember a single line from any of the songs. What a difference that is from the original movie, when you could easily remember parts of many of the songs, and the Oompa Loompa theme rhyme (for lack of a better term) became a household tune.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »

my quick thoughts:

overall i, too, prefer wilder's wonka. i tried really hard not to compare the 2 wonka movies, because they are just so different, but i guess i cant help it. things i liked better or equally in a different way in burton's film: mr. and mrs. bucket (i was surprised, i was sure helena bonham carter was gonna do something outlandish with the simple role, but she played it beautifully), agustus gloop (LOL VERY funny in this one), mike teevee (as a genius kid who watches too much tv and yet was able to "break the system" and only buy one bar, and then follow up with "i dont even like chocolate" - ha, great), i liked the idea that wonka was NOT good at public speaking, that was actually quite charming and nice in terms of an improvement, and deep roy was fantastic, but not *better* per say than the old oompa loompas, whom i loved as a kid and still do (and yes, i too can sing all their old theme songs ha)...oh and this was a biggie: acting-wise, the new charlie bucket (freddie highmore) was far better IMO, even though i liked the depth of the role in the original - i wish highmore could have had a shot to act some of the moments from the original....i felt like, once we got to the factory, it became the johnny depp show, and i *do* love him, dont get me wrong (i enjoy watching him act, no matter the part), but in terms of the overall story it felt imbalanced (considering it *is* called CHARLIE and the chocolate factory, this time around).

it's funny, some things were more clear in wilder's wonka, some in depp's...i liked in depp's character how clear it is that he doesnt like kids and people and visitors...with wilder, this isnt so clear (he seems perfectly at ease with letting people into the factory after having it closed for so long)...and yet, wilder's transformation in terms of his relationship with charlie is a lot more clear and fleshed out than depp's is - and alas, i wasnt a huge fan of how burton did the flashbacks...in theory (story-wise), i think they add a lot, but poorly executed.

and finally, the visuals: some were absolutely wonderful - i simply loved the sideways bucket house in the middle of industrial london or wherever it was...and yet others, like the chocolate room (with the river), besides the waterfall itself which was more realistic than the one in wilder's, i much preferred the chocolate room in the original - the new one was just so OBVIOUSLY burton w/ all the strange curling plants and nothing symmetrical that i was getting a bit of a headache (and i can take a lot of burton in a single dose, i like his style generally).

overall, twas okay, different than the 1st, and does have some new things to offer to the story...but nothing to jump up and down about.

hmmmm...
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:47:01 PM »

I don't plan on seeing the new one as the original gave me nightmares.  I've always felt that the original film is not really a film for children.  At least not for young children.  The scene where Charlie and his grandfather are almost cropped to bits by the propeller (sp?) gave me terrible nightmares as a kid. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: