OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:42:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: In your opinion, is this forum more biased in terms of posters or ideas expressed towards:
This site has a mix of all the above and I can't determine any bias as a rule. - 4 (7.4%)
Greek expressions of Orthodoxy - 0 (0%)
Old Calendarist expressions of Orthodoxy - 5 (9.3%)
Non-Chalcedonian expressions of Orthodoxy - 0 (0%)
Ecumenical expressions of Orthodoxy - 4 (7.4%)
This site has a mix of all the above and I can't determine any bias as a rule. - 41 (75.9%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this forum biased towards....  (Read 6360 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2005, 10:38:49 PM »

Okay, okay Ebor... no need to show off... you're pretty amusing too!  Kiss

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2005, 12:01:41 AM »

Somehow 41 votes (so far) from 1265 registered members makes me wonder what, if anything, this poll proves.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2005, 12:06:56 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6679.msg88761#msg88761 date=1122609701]
Somehow 41 votes (so far) from 1265 registered members makes me wonder what, if anything, this poll proves.ÂÂ  Wink
[/quote]

That most of the registered members don't log on or read or participate? :'(

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2005, 12:22:34 AM »

That most of the registered members don't log on or read or participate?

And for their not participating, I am glad! I mean, I know that many lurk, and I hope they are discussing Orthodoxy somewhere. However, I've been on fora that had hundreds of active posters, and it's usually a total mess! If you work, you might as well forget about having anything resembling a conversation. You can start a thread about a subject that you really find interesting, and in about 10 hours time while at work the thread can go through 40 posts and 3 topic changes. Then when you get home, what do you do? Waste 2 hours reading through the thread, even though half the posts aren't even relevant? Now imagine trying to follow 5 or 6 threads like that! Shocked Basically all your free time would be spent just trying to keep up with, and respond to, posts on the forum. It's simply impossible to post in any way other than a hit-and-run style when you have that many people posting.

Regarding the poll, since OC.net has about 75-95 active posters per day, I don't think 41 votes is all that bad. Smiley
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2005, 11:18:13 AM »

Okay, okay Ebor... no need to show off... you're pretty amusing too!ÂÂ  Kiss

Whew!  Well, *that's* a relief. 

Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2005, 01:11:20 PM »

IMO  as a long time lurker, I have never really seen a bias, although when I first started reading I thought it was OCA.  However, I'd have to say that it seems to be one of the most unbiased boards I've seen.  Although, it does seem that it goes in spurts on what the main topic is,  such as Non-Chalcedons one week, the Greeks the next.

So have we decided that this poll proves that the majority of OC.net is apathetic? Wink

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
StephenG

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2005, 06:59:26 AM »

I cannot remember the quotation accurately and so I apologise: but among us there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free , nor male or female........

So some of the observations and insinuations which appear to stem from them appear to originate from something other than an Orthodox mindset, me thinks. And what is wrong with people being male or white? Did not God make them so? And define fundamentalist? This appears to be an easy and perjorative 'label' much bandied around but often both unhelpful and uninformative.

I suspect St Seraphim of Sarov would be considered by the majority of people in the western world today as a fundamentalist among fundamentalists, and so would many of the other monastic elders we commerate in our calendar today.

Or is a fundamentalist one whose commitment is anything greater than a luke warm adherence to a belief system, something greater than a joining the Sunday (Saturday) (Friday) parade of 'worshippers'. Total commitment. But again is not following Christ a total commitment?

I abhor the word and feel it belongs not at all in the mouths of Christians. Extremists, Bigots, Fanatics, etc., etc, may describe something but the term fundamentalist has become so loosely defined, if at all, and indescriminately used it is useless except at a perjorative label and/or as a reductionist one, thus absenting the user having to offer reasons why he or she believes differently. In other words in belongs in the world of spin and propaganda, activities incompatible with Christianity, surely?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2005, 10:42:38 AM »

I gave my own thoughts on being a fundamentalist here. I'm sure it doesn't meet your exacting standards, and you have much more thoughtful and refined definitions of extremist,fanatic, etc. Smiley
StephenG

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2005, 08:53:08 AM »

And very thoughtful it all was. However I stand by my previous contribution, however small. The term is bandied about and used with little but evident thought behind for much of the time, I suspect. (It reminds my of fashionable terms equally bandied about by my professional colleagues, who when asked to explain what this or that fashionable term meant struggled or failed completely to do so).

Legalism is not new, and does not need to be masked by the use of another term to cover it. The tendency of some to extremism on one side should be considered against a backdrop were Orthodox teaching is forgotten in a rush to embrace all and sundry except those who fail to join a marked tendency toward a 'lowest common denominator' Christianity, or worse.

Chrstianity is not a religion among religions, nor one among three Abrahamic faiths, nor simply one of many so-called faith communities. It is The Way, The Truth and The Light.

The so-called Old Calendarists often appear to come in for a level of criticism and fault finding not applied elsewhere and some appear able to embrace others with whom they appear to have much less in common with in terms of fundamental beliefs and practice but who reject their brothers, who fault is what: a wish to adhere to the Calendar of both their and our spiritual forebears?

I believe the word fundamentalist has NO place in the mouths of Christians, and even its' use in the press and broadcast media is unhelpful and to be regretted. We have more than enough terms and words not to miss a word so debased and so unhelpful as this one.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2005, 12:42:07 PM »

I'll vote if someone replenishes my dwindling supply of medicinal beverages, ah...my precious...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags: ecumenism Ecumenical Euphrosynos Cafe modernists 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: