OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 10:23:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite living holy person and departed saints?  (Read 4480 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: July 16, 2005, 02:12:10 AM »

My favourite living holy person are:

1. Patriarch Pavle of Serbia

2. Elder Ephraim

3. Mother Irini (she is a coptic Orthodox abess of the Abbey of St. Mercurio in Cairo).

4. before he passed away- JP II (we luv you) lol couldn't help it.

Departed Saints:
st's:

Marina

Katherine

Demetrios

Maria (the Greek 18th century nun with the beautiful eyes and the caliph wanted to take her for himself but instead she gouged out her eyes).

John Chrysostom

Isaac Syrian

John Damascene

Kosmas Aitolas

John Maximovitch

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:59 PM »

Met. Hierotheos (Vlachos) of Nafpaktos

St. Justin Popovich
St. Gregory the Theolgian
St. Nicholas Cabasilas

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 10:49:18 PM »

My favourite living holy person is the Orthodox composer Sofia Gubaidulina. All of her oeuvre is religious and edifying, but I would like to single out her "Passion and Pascha according to John" as the finest work of Christian piety of our time.

As a student of linguistics, I feel an especial respect for Sts Cyril and Methodius and St Stephen of Perm.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 11:33:49 PM »

His All-Holiness Bartholomew, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome

His All-Holiness Athenagoras, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome, of most blessed memory

His All-Holiness Meletios IV, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome, of most blessed memory
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 11:36:03 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 11:56:59 PM »

His All-Holiness Bartholomew, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome

His All-Holiness Athenagoras, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome, of most blessed memory

His All-Holiness Meletios IV, Patriarch of the Oecumene, Archbishop of Constantinople and New Rome, of most blessed memory

You did not give links to their biographies. Let me do so for you, so others can read about the men you revere so.

PATRIARCH ATHENAGORAS

PATRIARCH DEMETRIOS

PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 12:03:39 AM »

OK, I can understand admiring Patriarch Bartholemew if you are an ecumenist or even if you are into canon law since he is a proficient canonist. But Meletios the Masonic? I mean come on. That is really pushing it.  Even many "regular" Greeks I know in the GOA are embarassed at his uncanonical activities including being a member of the Masonic order and being the head of I think five different churches in his lifetime, not to mention his acceptance of Anglican "orders", etc., etc., etc.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 12:06:17 AM »

[quote author=Νικολάος Διάκονος link=topic=6675.msg87355#msg87355 date=1121572619]
You did not give links to their biographies. Let me do so for you, so others can read about the men you revere so.
[/quote]

How kind of you to link to a website ran by a Schismatic organization whose intent is to attack the Legitimate Patriarchs of the Great Church of Christ; almost as objective to linking to a neo-nazi website when looking for legitimate cultural information about Jews.

OK, I can understand admiring Patriarch Bartholemew if you are an ecumenist or even if you are into canon law since he is a proficient canonist. But Meletios the Masonic? I mean come on. That is really pushing it. Even many "regular" Greeks I know in the GOA are embarassed at his uncanonical activities including being a member of the Masonic order and being the head of I think five different churches in his lifetime, not to mention his acceptance of Anglican "orders", etc., etc., etc.

I cite Patriarch Meletios because of his convening of the Pan-Orthodox Synod of 1923.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »

Ah, the council that was neither pan nor Orthodox LOL

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 12:09:32 AM »

LOL...you know, it would be alot easier if everyone stopped fighting and just fell in line like they're supposed to Wink

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 12:11:09 AM »

Patriarch Athenagoras wasn't that bad, after all, when writing about his former spiritual Father Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina (one of the three confessing bishops who returned from the New Calendarist Schism to the Patristic Calendar in 1935) he once said:

"Beloved children of our humility, grace be unto you and peace from God...as we warmly and respectfully remember our blessed elder Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Pelagonia..., we bestow upon you our heart-felt Patriarchal blessing."

His All-Holiness Patriarch Athenagoras, from an epistle dated December 4, 1969.  Cited in Chrysostomos, Auxentios, and Ambrose, The Old Calendar Church of Greece, pg. 99.

Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 12:11:43 AM »

LOL...you know, it would be alot easier if everyone stopped fighting and just fell in line like they're supposed to Wink

hehe.  On a serious note, which churches actually attended that council, as I forget.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 12:22:46 AM »

hehe.ÂÂ  On a serious note, which churches actually attended that council, as I forget.

Anastasios

I believe Constantinople, Cyprus, Greece, Serbia, and Romania were present at the Synod, and in time Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem would accept the rulings of the Synod.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 12:51:58 AM »

I believe Constantinople, Cyprus, Greece, Serbia, and Romania were present at the Synod, and in time Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem would accept the rulings of the Synod.

Ironic isn't it? More Churches than this were represented at the recent Pan Orthodox meeting convened to oust Ireanaous!  Couldn't they have just slipped the Calendar and WCC membership questions in as agenda items in the meeting this year?.......Even under "any other business?" Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 01:10:07 AM »

OK, I can understand admiring Patriarch Bartholemew if you are an ecumenist or even if you are into canon law since he is a proficient canonist.

Ok, wait. Is this the same bishop (or was it a previous Patriarch of C.) who makes the absurd claim that "barbarian lands" refers to places like America, and therefore he has jurisdiction over them?

Boy, talk about revisionist history! So tell me, since you make it sound like all these groups supported what was done at this synod [sic]: why is it that Serbia, the JP, etc. are still old calendar, and haven't adopted the other innovations proposed at this thing?

PS. Boy did this thread derail very quickly! Could we split it please?

PSS. As someone else asked in another thread, why doesn't the ignore function work?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 01:14:45 AM by Paradosis » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:18:47 AM »

Ok, wait. Is this the same bishop (or was it a previous Patriarch of C.) who makes the absurd claim that "barbarian lands" refers to places like America, and therefore he has jurisdiction over them?

Yes.

Boy, talk about revisionist history! So tell me, since you make it sound like all these groups supported what was done at this synod [sic]: why is it that Serbia, the JP, etc. are still old calendar, and haven't adopted the other innovations proposed at this thing?

Because the Ruling of the Synod was that each Church could choose to use the Julian or Revised Julian Calendar as they saw fit.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 03:17:06 AM »

Well touche'! Smiley And is this what Meletius wanted going in?

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 03:38:45 AM »

I find it sad that some people think a holy person is anyone in power who agrees with their ideology.  I can see admiring some of the people mentioned... i.e they are very well educated, speak many languages and have done many good things - but none of those are what makes a persona a saint.  But then to go one and say that Saint John Maximovitch isn't a saint.... well it is just stange really and so far from the spirit of Orthodoxy. ÂÂ

FWIW here is my list:

Living:
Bishop Artemije of Kosovo
Patriarch Pavle of Serbia
Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montinegro
Metropolitan Hierotheos of Nafpatkos
Elder Ephraim of Philotheou
Elder Aimilanos of Simonopetras
Elder Joseph of Vatopaidi
Elder Paisios of Saint Anthony's
Plus a myriad of monastics I have met on the Holy Mountain but are unknown to the world...

Non glorified reposed:
Elder Joseph the Hesychast
Elder Porphyrios
Elder Paisios the Athonie
Elder Cleopa of Shihastria
Elder Ephraim of Katounakia
Elder Sophrony of Essex
Father Seraphim of Plaina

Glorified saints:
Saint Nektarios of Aegina
Saint Silouan the Athonine
Sant Justin of Chelije
Saint Kosmas Philotheitis (Aitolos)
Saint Nikodemos Agioritis
Saint John Maximovitch
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

I find it sad that some people think a holy person is anyone in power who agrees with their ideology.

And I find it sad that some people think Pietistic Cult Figures are saints. Mind you, the ascetics have their place in the Church, but they cannot be compared to the Bishops and Patriarchs who actually effect change and guide the Course of the Church. The latter are far more devoted and valuable servants of the Church and of God than the former. Now I know that some disagree with the Actions of some of our Patriarchs, and thus I can see how they would not consider them the Holy Men that they are; but I could not see how one would disagree with my reasoning. Concerning one's self with the well being of the Entire Church and with the guiding of the faithful is far more nobel than forsaking these duties to dedicate one's time to their personal spiritual growth.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:16:43 AM by greekischristian » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 04:31:15 AM »

PS. Boy did this thread derail very quickly! Could we split it please?

It's quite unfortunate that I cannot post the names of three Important, Influential, and Central figures of Orthodoxy in the 20th Century, all of whom held the Most Honoured See of all Orthodoxy without having all of them attacked in the very next post, using the biographies compiled by schismatics nonetheless.

Perhaps a more appropriate name for this website would be:

russianorthodoxchristianity.net

or perhaps more to the point,

oldcalendarists.net

Both groups are heavily represented, but loyal subjects of the Oecumenical Throne are few and far between here.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 05:00:10 AM »

It's quite unfortunate that I cannot post the names of three Important, Influential, and Central figures of Orthodoxy in the 20th Century, all of whom held the Most Honoured See of all Orthodoxy without having all of them attacked in the very next post,

Thus the reason that I expressed a hope that the mods would split the thread, leaving your original post here, and taking all the other off-topic stuff that followed (including my own of course) to a different thread.

Perhaps a more appropriate name for this website would be: russianorthodoxchristianity.net

I hardly see why, since most people here are American, and attend a very wide range of jurisdictions. I am looking right now at the member list, and of the top 25 posters, I believe that 3-4 attend a Russian Church. For a point of comparison, of the top 25, six are not even Eastern Orthodox, but are OO, RC, etc. There's more non-EO regular posters than Russian Orthodox ones. What's more, I counted the votes so far that people have given: the Russians have received a whopping.... two! And both for the same saint, a Russia ending his life in America, known to be a great wonderworker, meek, and pious. Again, as a point of comparison, Serbs have gotten six votes, Near Easterners (modern-day Turkey, Palestine, Syria, etc.) have gotten five votes, and the Greeks have gotten about two dozen (if I am judging aright by the names).

or perhaps more to the point, oldcalendarists.net

Well, considering that the majority of the world's Orthodox remain on the Old Calendar, I don't think that this would be a problem. But that being said, I don't think the majority of regular posters here are even Old Calendar, and I suspect that if we did a poll, a disproportionate number of people would be new calendar. So if anything, I'd say that this forum skews toward the New Calendar in comparison with the numbers in the real world (which makes sense considering that the majority here are Americans, and America has a larger number of New Calendar parishes). The only thing is--and maybe this is what bugs you--that the new calendarists here take a sane and sober view of the new calendar, and don't just cheerlead every innovation that comes down the pike with a hierarchs stamp of approval on it.

What's more, if by "old calendarists" you mean people who are not in communion with other groups, like the various Greek OC groups such as the Matthewites, or ROAC, then of the top 25 posters I only count one single old calendarist. Perhaps you would also count ROCOR in with these old calendarists though, and if so the number goes up to an astounding and frightening four out of 25. Someone alert euphrosynoscafe, the invasion of zealots has begun on this site as well!

Both groups are heavily represented,

By heavily respresented, do you mean "not very well represented"? Smiley

but loyal subjects of the Oecumenical Throne are few and far between here.

Gee, I wonder why. It must be everyone else who is at fault, and the handful of faithful who can see the light. Say, wait a minute, I think I've heard such a narrow view expressed before somewhere...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 05:04:49 AM by Paradosis » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 05:26:01 AM »

Favourite departed Saint:

His Holiness Pope Cyril the Sixth, 116th Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and the See of St. Mark (Coptic Orthodox Patriarch - 1959-1971)

Numerous books have been written with regards to the miracles he performed whilst alive, and those performed through his intercessions, including the gifts bestowed upon him by The Lord, such as prescience, clairvoyance, and even bilocation. Volumes 1, 2, 4 and 5 of a series of books recollecting and sharing those miracles and the wisdom and spirituality he possessed, can be purchased at the following links:

Miracles, Volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5:ÂÂ  
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=909
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=910
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=177
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=1091

Books on his life and person:
School of Virtue:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=907
Spiritual Leadership:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=902
Man of Prayer:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=294
The Fruits of Love:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=903
Service and Humility:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=908
The Heavenly harp:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=1223
A Melody from heaven:
https://www.orthodoxbookstore.com/product.details.aspx?ProductID=898

He performed miracles for the weakest of children to the most powerful of men, including the president of Egypt himself - Abdel Nassar; his service characterized perfectly by the above book titles - it is his great love, humility and wisdom in particular that atrracts me more than any of the hundreds of fascinating miracles performed through his prayers. In his Pastoral speech on the first anniversary of his consecration and ascension to the Patriarchal Throne of Alexandria and the See of St Mark, he stated in meekness and with genuine love: "I wish I could open my heart so that you may all see inside how great my love is towards you all..a love that stems that which filled Christ's to the extent that He became man and shed His blood for our redemption."

He has also been labeled “Friend of the Saints”, for he was known to have a unique personal relationship with St Mary, the Apostle St Mark whom he succeeded on the throne; St Demiana, St George the Prince of Martyrs, and especially St Menas, seeing them and communicating with them on numerous occasions.

I would like to quote just four of hundreds of the miracles he performed — one before and one after his departure, as well as one performed via his relationship with St Mark and another performed via his relationship with St Menas, as they are recorded in Volume II of The Miracles of Pope Kyrillos VI (forgive the dodgy English — the translations aren’t very top notch).

Pope Kyrillos & St Mark the Apostle - From page 74

“Dr. Nabila Fawzi (of 148 Army PDe, Cleopatra, Alexandria) tells the following miracle:

Jesus Christ’s miracles performed for us through the intercession of the Virgin St Mary, St Mina, St Mark, and Pope Kyrillos are so many, but I’ll tell you about one that was a landmark in our lives.

My husband was studying for his PhD, but his superiors at work were against him and did not want him to attain such a degree…they put as much obstacles in his way….even transferring him far away from Alexandria so that he could not complete his research at the university laboratory. At that time I too was doing my post-graduate studies in Alexandria while my husband was banished to Lake Karoon. I used to ask Pope Kyrillos to pray for us, and he always responded: “I always mention you to St Mark; God is willing, and your husband will get his PhD and will be transferred back to Alexandria; God will put your enemies under your feet.” Following this statement by the Pope, my husband received a dream in which he was in a small room in which the door was being blocked by a fierce tiger, when suddenly, one dressed in white grabbed one of the tigers by the mouth and made way for my husband to leave the room. Believing this to be a sure sign from God that He would help us out of our predicament, we went to the Church of St Mark in Alexandria to thank God for His care. In the Church we crossed the compartment of St Mark when my husband said to me: “This is the person I saw in my vision, who held down the tiger’s mouth and let me out of the room.” I knelt down in thankfulness to God who was glorified through the intercession of the devout Pope Kyrillos who I now knew was being serious when he said to me that he mentions us to St Mark the Apostle. The Saintly Pope Kyrillos used to talk so simply and meekly that people like me, with little faith, thought he was only trying to make people feel better. Now we are are certain that the Pope always meant what he said.”

Pope Kyrillos and St George - From Pages 76-77:

St George Opens His Churches to His Holiness The Pope:

His Holiness Pope Kyrillos VI is a Saint who knows how to communicate with the Saints through fasting and prayer. They give him as he wishes by intercessions readily available to the Throne of Grace. He talks with the great Martyr St George the Roman with intimacy and the Saint listens to him.

The Pope once wanted to visit St George’s Church at El Max in Alexandria. The time was seven o’clock on a wintery evening. The chauffer, Brother Azmi, drove on to find the suburb shrouded in darkness for there had been a blackout. Pope Kyrillos stood at the Church’s door as the caretaker rushed to the Priest’s house, though the priest was not home. His Holiness the Pope talked intimately to St George and in a kind of reproach said to him, “Do we come all this way especially for you O St George and you hold back your light from us?” In true faith, the Pope ordered the caretaker to switch on the light, and immediately the lights glittered inside the Church like sunshine at Midday. The Pope offered incense and as soon as he concluded his prayers and left the Church the darkness of the blackout wrapped the suburb again.

Also:

On a Thursday of the Nativity of Fasting of 1964, His Holiness the Pope went at 7 o Clock in the morning to the church of St George and St Antonios at Moharam Bey, Alexandria. The main gate was closed as a heavy chain and large padlock secured it, for the caretaker had not yet opened it. In the same way the Pope talked to St George as if talking with a close friend, and turning to those who accompanied him he said: “I don’t believe that we have come to serve the liturgy for St George only to find the door locked.” He then instructed Rev. Father Yacoub El Baramousi to push hard against the gate which was locked by the huge steel chain and secured by a large padlock. Miraculously the steel chain fell off as if it was cut by a powerful saw…

Miracle before Departure — page 17:

Mr Fakhri Azer Mancarious of 3 Ashraf St Tanta tell us:

“After six years of marriage God had not give us any children. My wife was treated by many gynecologists…, but neither medication nor radiology could mend the deformity in my wife’s procreative system. Then we heard of Pope Kyrillos’ sanctity and the miracles performed through his prayers. We went to see him at the Patriarchate in Cairo, where he placed his hands over our heads and prayed. When he finished his prayers he said “God willing…this day of next year the two of you will be three and everything is completed by the Holy Trinity.” Before we left, he added that the child would be a male, and asked us to name him Mena. We gave thanks to the Lord who worked through the Pope’s prayers, giving us a son at the exact date predicted by His Holiness.

Miracle after departure - On page 78:

Dr Mikhail Gobran, Director of the Medical Centre, Geziret Badran, Shoubra, says:

In December 1973..a teacher at Kishk High School lodged with me an application for sick leave. Asking what his ailment was, he said that he suffered from an inflamed fistula and that he could not undergo the operation because his heart valved were infected with rheumatism, a condition with which the anesthetic could not be used…I authorized the required sick leave…While in my office he saw the book Miracle of Pope Kyrillos on my desk. He ridiculed the belief in miracles in the time of science and scientific research and added that a real proof would be the removal of the fistula by the methods of the departed Pope Kyrillos.

Ten days later the teacher was looking for me until he found me in the office of the health inspector. He told us what happened to him, telling us that in his sleep one night he felt two men carry him and put him on a table to examine his chest. He thought to himself why they were examining his chest while he suffered from a fistula. An elder then appeared, who was Pope Kyrillos, and who punched him gently saying: “You naïve, the heart is the most important”. In the morning, all the symptoms of the bad heart were gone. Another ten days and the same thing happened again, Pope Kyrillos saying to him, “Tonight is the fistula, because the heart is well and can stand it.”

The teacher came to me two days after the second night, I examined him with the health inspector and ascertained the complete healing of the fistula by a miracle and through the blessings of Pope Kyrillos VI, may he always bestow his blessings upon us.

A live recording of a Liturgy performed by His Holiness before his departure can be downloaded from here:
http://www.saintmina-holmdel.org/Multimedia/index.php

Below are three photos of His Holiness the blessed Pope Kyrillos the sixth.

1)   In the first we find that upon the development of the photo taken of His Holiness’ picture as located in a monastery, that a faint yet sure outline of His Holiness’ patron saint St Menas appears.

2)    In the second photo we find that upon its development, the departed Pope Kyrillos appears behind the man who is contemplating on the departed Pope’s picture — giving us a sure message that the departed Saints are always present with us, ready to offer our prayers and intercede on our behalf before the Throne of God.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 05:35:35 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 05:39:21 AM »

As much as you may hate it, I am under the Patriarchate of Constantinople (although I'm sure my slavic blood makes me questionable).  As for your assertations:

russianorthodoxchristianity.net - most of the posters here are American and the Church in America has a definite Russian charactar as it was founded from Russian missionaries!  Also the OCA and ROCOR have both been active in the area of English missions and publishing.  So it is logical to expect that there would be a Russian influence.  Now if your panties are in a bunch over some links from a ROAC website - ROAC is not the Russian Church, and not one (outside of a small handful) sees it as that. ÂÂ

oldcalendarists.net - Again I know of two posters that belong to groups not in formal communion with any of the "official" Orthodox churches.  Are you that intimidated by them?  Also as a point of interest of the list I posted 17 were either new calendarists or in communion with those that used the new calendar.

I find it sad that some people think Pietistic Cult Figures are saints.

Who precisely is a pietistic cult figure on my list?  Hopefully while you are in Thessaloniki you can get a chance to travel to the Holy Mountain and see Orthodox monasticism up close.  Are the monastic minded bishops I mention pietistic cult figures?

Mind you, the ascetics have their place in the Church, but they cannot be compared to the Bishops and Patriarchs who actually effect change and guide the Course of the Church. The latter are far more devoted and valuable servants of the Church and of God than the former.

Now I assume that was directed towards my list - but I have to wonder if you actually read it or even know of any of the people on it.  I listed SIX bishops (including a patriarch), I also listed several abbots, and of the spiritual fathers I mentioned - they have many bishops numbered as their spiritual children.  Also these "cult leaders" as you call them have brought thousands of average lay people to life much closer to Christ.  Among the Greek people Elder Paisios the Athonite and Elder Porphyrios were very beloved, I would encourage you to read more about them before saying such things. ÂÂ

Now I know that some disagree with the Actions of some of our Patriarchs, and thus I can see how they would not consider them the Holy Men that they are; but I could not see how one would disagree with my reasoning.

Particularly in the case of Patriarch Meletios (who was actually deposed by the church of Greece), he did create deep division in the church.  Whether you agree with the actions of those who broke off from the "official" type churches during his Patriarchate or not (and I obviously don't as I am under the jurisdiction of the EP) I don't see how you can see these schisms as positive.  Again with Patriarch Athenagoras, his actions did little to promote any real unity with other Christian bodies, but did much to deepen divisions within the Orthodox church. ÂÂ

At least in my case - I'm not saying that any of the three weren't good men.  But even being a good administrator doesn't make one a saint.  A saint is one who has attained theosis and is a living vessel of divine grace - regardless of their rank. ÂÂ

Concerning one's self with the well being of the Entire Church and with the guiding of the faithful is far more nobel than forsaking these duties to dedicate one's time to their personal spiritual growth.

Have you read the life of Saint Mary of Egypt?  In it Abba Zosima says that it is the prayers of Saint Mary that have sustained the church in the world, a responsibility that ascetics from all times bear.  Also Saint Seraphim of Sarov said that if one recieves grace, thousands will be saved at their side.  So even the most reclusive of monastics deeply affect the world.  Others serve as spiritual guides nuturing thier spiritual children in the Christian life.

Another thought to ponder is that during great lent, the church sets three saints before us: Saint Mary of Egypt, Saint John Klimakos and Saint Gregory Palamas - all of whom are monastics.  The only one who is a bishop is renowned primarily for his defense of the traditional Orthodox monastic life.  Just something to ponder. ÂÂ

Lastly you whine that information from a schismatic source was posted and you discredit the source solely because it is not in union with Conastantinople - that is a blatant ad hominem attack.  Prove that that articles aren't true if you don't believe they are.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 08:13:59 AM »

I think you're taking GiC too seriously. He throws the bait, and you go for it like a pirahna!
He's a little crazy- (but aren't we all?)- yet I like him.
And he does have a point (of sorts)- Why can't he say that he admires three Orthodox Patriarchs without being attacked for his choice?

sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 08:29:20 AM »

I agree with OzG (wow.. thats new LOL).

Lord have mercy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 09:01:05 AM »

yet I like him

You like fools? Well, you don't seem to mind me, so... Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 09:02:09 AM by Paradosis » Logged

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 09:45:02 AM »

You like fools? Well, you don't seem to mind me, so... Smiley

LOL  Cheesy
We're all a bit foolish- we're all stuggling to be genuine followers of Christ the best way we know how. One of the Fathers (can't remember which one) says: "Always be kind- everyone you meet is fighting a terrible battle."..... I like that.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 09:59:16 AM »

Now THAT is cute. I do remember the same being said of this very forum (perhaps by some disgruntled hecklers, but said nevertheless).  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 01:32:58 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6675.msg87403#msg87403 date=1121608756]
Now THAT is cute. I do remember the same being said of this very forum (perhaps by some disgruntled hecklers, but said nevertheless).ÂÂ  Wink
[/quote]

Hehe, I didn't know you could baptize forums Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 01:38:37 PM »

It's quite unfortunate that I cannot post the names of three Important, Influential, and Central figures of Orthodoxy in the 20th Century, all of whom held the Most Honoured See of all Orthodoxy without having all of them attacked in the very next post, using the biographies compiled by schismatics nonetheless.

Perhaps a more appropriate name for this website would be:

russianorthodoxchristianity.net

or perhaps more to the point,

oldcalendarists.net

Both groups are heavily represented, but loyal subjects of the Oecumenical Throne are few and far between here.

You would only have yourself to blame.  You come in here with guns a blazin', you question the sainthood of such people as St John Maximovitch, you purposely write in overly flowerly language about the EP to tick people off, you refuse to conform to modern conventions about grammar, and you wonder why people jump at your words now? You have oversensitized people, plain and simple.

I just don't get where Russian Orthodoxy is overrepresented here.  And Old Calendarism is HARDLY represented here. Do I defend it? Yes.  And how many people disagree with me? Almost everyone else.  LOL  For a real Old Calendarist site, try the Euphrosynoscafe.com.  This site gets called "Old Calendarist" by you, gets called "Too close to Monophysites" by others, gets called "Too Ecumenical" by Old Calendarists...I guess when you are in the middle taking fire from everyone you must be doing SOMETHING right! LOL

Anastasios
the Anti-Greek, Too Pro-Greek, Too Ecumenical, Old Calendarist "Monophysite"- loving Site Administrator.  Tongue

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6679.msg87407#msg87407

Vote in this poll to see if you think we are biased! Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Tags: Ecumenical Patriarchate World Orthodoxy Pope GreekIsPagan 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: