Author Topic: My mother is interested in Orthodoxy  (Read 2126 times)

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
My mother is interested in Orthodoxy
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »
It's been about two and a half years since my baptism and I made a resolution not to openly evangelize my friends and family.

But despite mostly keeping my to myself, my mother has expressed a genuine interest in Orthodoxy.

As some of you might know, I come from a Jewish background, from my mother's side. She raised me in a fairly secular/reform home, and I later became ultra Orthodox Jew before losing faith and eventually becoming an Orthodox Christian.

Now, my mother has told me that she enjoys going to services, she's been intrigued by my spiritual journey, and that she likes the people at my church.

Obviously, one side of me is very grateful, but I'm also quite nervous about this. I'm an adult, and I find myself now having to be a much more visible representative of my faith around my parents now (by the way, my dad is not interested but he seems supportive of my mother, which is good). I've talked to my priest about this and he thinks I'm doing everything fine, but I still worry that I'm not being a good example. I guess when you realize your faith can wear off on other people, you can get very conscious about your influence.

Please pray for my family. In addition, I'd like to hear from any of you about advice or even just anecdotes you can share related to family members becoming Orthodox. Again, my mother isn't even coming from a Christian background, so that's another hurdle. I don't know exactly what is going to come from all this, but I just need some help navigate this potential family transition.

Thanks.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: My mother is interested in Orthodoxy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
Praise be to God! May God bless you and your mother.  :)
God bless!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Again, my mother isn't even coming from a Christian background, so that's another hurdle.

You also did not come from a Christian background.

The Lord provides.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »
Wow! Good to hear.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »
Again, my mother isn't even coming from a Christian background, so that's another hurdle.

You also did not come from a Christian background.

The Lord provides.

+1

I have nothing very helpful to add, I'm afraid, but I wanted to say that I am excited for you and will be keeping your mom in my prayers!
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »
Thanks for the support, all. Things are continuing along...

Offline pasadi97

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:03:59 AM »
Something to think about:

Wikipedia Sheol
She'ol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ shee-ohl or /ˈʃiːəl/ shee-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל Šʾôl), in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from the Hebrew God.[1]

So in Judaism destination may be Hell regardless of people being good or bad. There are exceptions like Elijah. Ask your mother to ask rabbi what happens after death.

In Christianity for good people destination is heaven.

More than that some people die and some come back to life. There are many Christians that say that they went to Heaven and bliss. Never heard about people from Judaism or from other religions beside Christianity saying they saw Heaven. Only people that come back to life and said they went to Heaven were Christians.

So this would be a great incentive for your mother to come to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:06:23 AM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing this, pasadi97. My mother does not really come from a strong religious background, so anything she learns about the afterlife will be Christian. We actually just went over this in catechism this week.

And things are certainly moving. I think my mother was moved by the Theotokos and met with some of the visiting nuns today. She'll be taking a trip to the local monastery with a friend from the church. She's been asking me about icons and patron saints and meeting with the priest regularly. Please keep our family in your prayers, that God may move us to do His will in His time and in His way.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the support, all. Things are continuing along...

Praise the Lord.

Know that I am praying for you and your parents (Mom and Dad).
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing this, pasadi97. My mother does not really come from a strong religious background, so anything she learns about the afterlife will be Christian. We actually just went over this in catechism this week.

And things are certainly moving. I think my mother was moved by the Theotokos and met with some of the visiting nuns today. She'll be taking a trip to the local monastery with a friend from the church. She's been asking me about icons and patron saints and meeting with the priest regularly. Please keep our family in your prayers, that God may move us to do His will in His time and in His way.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »
It's been about two and a half years since my baptism and I made a resolution not to openly evangelize my friends and family.

But despite mostly keeping my to myself, my mother has expressed a genuine interest in Orthodoxy.

As some of you might know, I come from a Jewish background, from my mother's side. She raised me in a fairly secular/reform home, and I later became ultra Orthodox Jew before losing faith and eventually becoming an Orthodox Christian.

Now, my mother has told me that she enjoys going to services, she's been intrigued by my spiritual journey, and that she likes the people at my church.

Obviously, one side of me is very grateful, but I'm also quite nervous about this. I'm an adult, and I find myself now having to be a much more visible representative of my faith around my parents now (by the way, my dad is not interested but he seems supportive of my mother, which is good). I've talked to my priest about this and he thinks I'm doing everything fine, but I still worry that I'm not being a good example. I guess when you realize your faith can wear off on other people, you can get very conscious about your influence.

Please pray for my family. In addition, I'd like to hear from any of you about advice or even just anecdotes you can share related to family members becoming Orthodox. Again, my mother isn't even coming from a Christian background, so that's another hurdle. I don't know exactly what is going to come from all this, but I just need some help navigate this potential family transition.

Thanks.

I say that is wonderful, by all means encourage her to learn more about the faith.... I am sure she will take to this faith like duck to water.... God works in mysterious ways.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:02 AM »
My mother followed me in the first Divine Liturgy I ever watched. She has showed interest for coming back, as did my grandmother once, but we never touched on that matter again. I think I'll try to take them all there in the Christmas service.

I'm happy it's going all well to your mother's journey :)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 01:42:56 AM »
God willing, she'll be baptized this Holy Saturday.

I am also sponsoring a friend who will be joining her. Please continue to pray for us all.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 02:09:50 AM »
Lord have mercy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Online WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:32 AM »
Yes, Orthodoxy but what? ... Too much of it is up to me and whether I go to church on Sunday.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word