Author Topic: Hyparxis in the OO Christological Tradition  (Read 707 times)

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
Hyparxis in the OO Christological Tradition
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:56:56 AM »
I'm wondering how exactly this term is defined in our tradition. How would one translate it literally into English? How do the Chalcedonians use it?
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
Re: Hyparxis in the OO Christological Tradition
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
Bumpity bump
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »
I have literally never heard that word before in my life.

You know too many words.

Offline qawe

• High Elder
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »
I have literally never heard that word before in my life.

You know too many words.

+1  :P
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »
Existence, perhaps.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
Existence, perhaps.
What distinguishes it from hypostasis?

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »
Existence, perhaps.
What distinguishes it from hypostasis?
To some, existence is a predicate that can be predicated of a subject. So if a hypostasis is a sort of subject then existence can be predicated of it, perhaps essentially as with all other existents.

There are also some who distinguish being from existence, but that is too difficult to get into here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:00:01 PM by NicholasMyra »
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »
This is why worshiping tree gods and hearth spirits is so much easier.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
I'm wondering how exactly this term is defined in our tradition. How would one translate it literally into English? How do the Chalcedonians use it?
Did you find it in the term τρόπος υπάρξεως?

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »
Did you find it in the term τρόπος υπάρξεως?
No. I first read of it in Fr. Timothy Thomas' article on St. Severus' Christology on Monachos.