OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 03:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome and Oriental no More  (Read 1261 times) Average Rating: 0
JOHNYJ82

« on: July 15, 2005, 01:30:35 AM »

It has been reported that the term,Oriental   Orthodox has been abandoned by Rome except for the Indian Oriental Orthodox church. That with the joint declarations of all the other   ( formerly ) Oriental Orthodox and Rome.The term is no longer applicable.So as far as Rome is concerned all these churches are Orthodox.This of course is only visa vie them and Rome.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:28:51 AM »

It has been reported that the term,Oriental  ÃƒÆ’‚ Orthodox has been abandoned by Rome except for the Indian Oriental Orthodox church. That with the joint declarations of all the other  ÃƒÆ’‚ ( formerly ) Oriental Orthodox and Rome.The term is no longer applicable.So as far as Rome is concerned all these churches are Orthodox.This of course is only visa vie them and Rome.

Great, that's going to help clarify things in ecumenical discussions - I don't think. What's the point anyway? Neither we nor the OOs call ourselves Eastern or Oriental as a matter of course, it's just a useful distinguisher for others talking about us. If I was a bit more cynical, I might suspect this was a ploy to make Orthodoxy look more divided than it is by lumping together both communions as though they were one. That's a favourite tactic of Protestant polemicists like the infamous Paul Negrut. I'd rather just believe it's another example of woolly minded PC thinking, though.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »

If anything its making us look more united by referring to us all simply as "Orthodox."  It might not be a bad idea.  After all, the ironic thing about our titles, is that they both mean exactly the same thing.  The words "Eastern" and "Oriental" are redundant.  I'm surprised no one notices this.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 07:12:29 PM »

It has been reported that the term,Oriental   Orthodox has been abandoned by Rome except for the Indian Oriental Orthodox church. That with the joint declarations of all the other   ( formerly ) Oriental Orthodox and Rome.The term is no longer applicable.So as far as Rome is concerned all these churches are Orthodox.This of course is only visa vie them and Rome.

Is Rome deciding who is Orthodox? 

So there is nothing new in this news. If this is a true news, they are doing this to confuse people.  In India, the Orthodox church is known as "Paurasthya Sabha" which means 'Oriental Church'.  "Paurashtya Katholikka' in India means 'Catholicos of the East' who is the head of the Eastern Church. Paurasthya is Sanskrit word which means East or Orient and very commonly used in vernacular writings.

-Paul
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 07:11:26 AM »

Yes.  I'm sure the new Pope has a secret agenda to confuse everyone so that he can divide and convert them all over to Latin Catholicism.

If you are going to say that by this decision Rome is deciding "who's Orthodox" then based on the report we must conclude that Rome has decided that we all are Orthodox (EO's and OO's).

There no need for paranoia here.  I welcome this news if its true.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Kosmas

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »

I think it was about time that we were united as One Orthodox Church. You never hear about the divisions in the Frankish Church, I wonder why?Huh

I welcome this move by the Frankish Church too. I just hope they don't start wrongly accusing us all of being Nestorian, Monophysite, Monothelite and Eutychian. And then arguing that we have all fallen into heresy, in order to justify the Schism....oh they actualy have done this before and they still do this now...Oh well,  who cares? Grin

«Ουδείς εκών κακός» Σωκράτης
JOHNYJ82

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:53:45 AM »

Ecumenism has been a major Catholic goal since Vatican II . Triumphalism which slowed  Ecumenism befor Vat. II is gone. Pope John Paul II especialy pushed Ecumenism hard. The joint declarations of the ( formerly ) Oriental Orthodox and Rome Affirming Orthodox Christology and the  place of the Theotokos.
Was an acomplishment of that work.
Tags: ecumenism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: