Author Topic: Are parishes open during the week?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Corporal Tunny

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Are parishes open during the week?
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
I went with my father to his protestant Church of Christ yesterday and I felt so cut off from God while I was there that when I got home I started to cry and maybe for the first time began to understand what it really means to pray. My fiance had a similar feeling because after we went out for lunch she said the whole thing made her feel so bad that she wanted to go to the parish and light a candle or something. We weren't sure if it would be open or not or what the rules are on during non scheduled hours. Is there usually someone there? Am I free to go there on a Tuesday afternoon for example, and pray, or talk to the priest?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Are parishes open during the week?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »
In this country I think it's pretty uncommon for an Orthodox church to keep the doors open all week, unless there are services. The exceptions I have seen have mainly been cathedrals. Generally there needs to be some sort of staff on hand to watch over things. But you could always give the door a try.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Corporal Tunny

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
In this country I think it's pretty uncommon for an Orthodox church to keep the doors open all week, unless there are services. The exceptions I have seen have mainly been cathedrals. Generally there needs to be some sort of staff on hand to watch over things. But you could always give the door a try.

What about parish houses?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »

What about parish houses?

Maybe if they're making pierogi that day. Or do you mean the rectory? I guess you could visit, just make sure you call ahead.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
Save once, the doors of the local Antiochian parish have always been unlocked when I've gone there, even when no one else was around.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
But you could always give the door a try.

Of course. There might not be a service scheduled, but there might be someone in the church doing maintenance, cleaning, flower arranging, etc.  :)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
Our chapel is part of the archaeological sites of the town, so it's generally accessible to visitors all day. A couple of years ago it was burgled twice within a few weeks, so for a while it was locked outside of service hours (the priest, who lives just across the street, was still happy to provide the key upon request). Now that the place has been fitted with CCTV and an alarm system, it's mostly open again. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:26:24 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
My church is open most days from about 9:00 until 6:00. Those are the office hours. The church itself is open until about 5:00. You can pray and put a candle, or go to services if they're scheduled.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »
Couple of things:

1. Call ahead.

2. Check out the Internet. Odds are that if the parish does not have an Internet presence, it will not be open outside appointed services.

Offline Friedrich

• I used to be indecisive but now I’m not too sure.
  • Jurisdiction: *Doesn't know what to put here*
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »
It's so nice that churches do this. They never did where I came from in the states, now that I'm in Germany the larger church in town (State Lutheran) has about a 2 hour daily window that they're open to the public. I find it's sometimes nice to just go down and stare at Christ in the window of the apse and spill. I could do it at home too, but something about the church makes it feel closer to God in a way.

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
As you can tell it depends.

Our parish normally has the Church locked outside of service times, but the office has regular hours, as does the priest. I've always been able to ask them to let me in to pray. I don't light candles in our parish when no one is there because the sand box is connected to the walls, if a candle falls, it scorches the wood and could cause a fire.

The other parish also has the priest there most of the time, is usually unlocked, and the sand box is separate and over a non-flammable floor, so people do light candles when no one is there.

And some smaller parishes are locked up tight if no one is there.
Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 06:45:16 AM »
It really depends not only on the country but on the city/town/village. As I've noticed in USA and Poland most of times only cathedrals are opened every day. In Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria etc. churches are usually opened every day. I really I wish they were opened through the day, as sometimes I would just light a candle or say a short prayer or just calm down for a while, find sacred silenes, an escape. When I was RC, I used to going for 5 minutes of prayer into a church quite frequently, now I'm doing it only when I'm abroad.

It would be also good for touristical reason; e.g recently I've visited USA and most of the churches were closed on weekdays so I was just passing before tchem; ofc, probably I could have called a priest earlier and informed about my visit, however my schedule was very intenstive and I was travelling with non-Orthodox friends, so preparing the schedule in favor of visitng Orthodox churches just wouldn't pass
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline thetraditionalfrog

• Traditional Frog
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »
My church is always locked except during services or events. However, if someone wishes to visit the church, pray, etc they can ring a bell and someone will tend to them. During the week between about ten and five there is almost always someone there. For myself, I have a key and can let myself in anytime. Candles are generally lit only during services to avoid fire. Many of the other local Orthodox parishes are the same, outside of services you contact ahead or drop by the parish offices. A few are only open at services due to lack of parish staff and availability of the priest.

As for other local churches, it is a mixed bag. Some of the Roman Catholic churches are open during the day, others you have to drop in the office to get access to the church, if they let you. Some only the perpetual adoration chapels are open regular. Same with some of the local Episcopal and the continuing Anglican parish.

I can't say for any of the protestant churches as I have only had experience with the above.
“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava

Offline ergro

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
My Church's opening hours were more or less set in stone in 1757  ;D

But shared Shrines aside, Monasteries can be rather eclectic in their strictness of sticking to opening hours. Some won't budge from them even a minute, others have a cheerful bunch who will open the doors at every hour of the day or night.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:46:09 PM by ergro »

Offline rft183

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »
That's one thing I miss about the Roman Catholic Church here in the U.S.  I liked being able to go whenever I felt like in order to pray.  My Orthodox Church is only open when they're having services/classes.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »

But shared Shrines aside, Monasteries can be rather eclectic in their strictness of sticking to opening hours. Some won't budge from them even a minute, others have a cheerful bunch who will open the doors at every hour of the day or night.

You're 258 years old?  :o
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:15 PM »
Our parish has open church from 2pm to 6 pm on wednesdays when people can come and visit, light a candle and pray.
We have a church host that also can provide information and ask questions.

Often, on wednesdays too after open church, we have vesper or lithia/panihidas.

Other than the church is just open on saturdays for vigils or divine liturgy and on sundays for the divine liturgy.
We don`t have resources or people to keep it open during the other days of week (Orthodoxy is still small in Norway).
I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »

You're 258 years old?  :o

Vampiredox
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
Couple of things:

1. Call ahead.

2. Check out the Internet. Odds are that if the parish does not have an Internet presence, it will not be open outside appointed services.

Quite right. Do something old fashioned and call the pastor.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 07:41:29 PM »
There is an outdoor safe with a key.  Our priest lets any member of the congregation who wants to come in and pray during the week have the combo so they can go in, pray, leave and lock the door.  I used to take advantage of that when I worked pretty close to the church.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
There is an outdoor safe with a key.  Our priest lets any member of the congregation who wants to come in and pray during the week have the combo so they can go in, pray, leave and lock the door.  I used to take advantage of that when I worked pretty close to the church.

Oh, I wish we could do this. I'd be there several times a week probably ...
Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.