Author Topic: JP in North America under EP?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • It a bird, it a plane, no it's Orthogringo!
  • Faith: Orthogringo
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
JP in North America under EP?
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
Okay a while back I went with a really awesome couple and their children to a Church like a hour and a half away that I thought was under the Jerusalem Patriarchate but it turns out that going back to around 2008 (?) that they came under the Ecumenical patriarchate. What is really the back story with this? Anyways the Arabs make great hosts and would talk for hours they really love conversation.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: JP in North America under EP?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:01:29 AM »
Pressure.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
Go here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16967.msg244414.html#msg244414

Unless of course, you cannot wait any longer for Ialmisry II to come out at your local computer screen.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:31:47 AM »
thanks opus for the info reading through it now. So now I wonder if ST Lawarence in Felton is legit? it about 45 minutes away from me so I planned to visit someday.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »
thanks opus for the info reading through it now. So now I wonder if ST Lawarence in Felton is legit? it about 45 minutes away from me so I planned to visit someday.

It looks pretty legit to me. Old Calendar, under the GOAA, that is seven minutes away from the Antiochian (New Calendar) Church in Ben Lomond. I think both churches remain primarily converts. You can visit both and let us know. I used to camp in nearby Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park before these churches existed.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »

It looks pretty legit to me. Old Calendar, under the GOAA, that is seven minutes away from the Antiochian (New Calendar) Church in Ben Lomond. I think both churches remain primarily converts. You can visit both and let us know. I used to camp in nearby Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park before these churches existed.

I will once I am able to travel to these churches. The Ben Lomond one if I am correct from reading Orthodoxwiki had problems in the 1990's however I talked to the priest there a couple years ago on the phone early in my getting to know Orthodoxy stages and seemed awesome. The one up in felton I sent a email saying that i'd like to visit when I have a better way to get there and they were more than open to the idea. Fascinating enough despite different jursidictions both go back to the wave of evanvelical converts in the 80's.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:17:33 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »

I will once I am able to travel to these churches. The Ben Lomond one if I am correct from reading Orthodoxwiki had problems in the 1990's however I talked to the priest there a couple years ago on the phone early in my getting to know Orthodoxy stages and seemed awesome. The one up in felton I sent a email saying that i'd like to visit when I have a better way to get there and they were more than open to the idea. Fascinating enough despite different jursidictions both go back to the wave of evanvelical converts in the 80's.

The Jerusalem jurisdiction problems are very confusing: I haven't been following it at all.  So I assume from the last post that all the problems in the Ben Lomand parish got ironed out & it is just a normal  parish under the Antiochians?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »

The Jerusalem jurisdiction problems are very confusing: I haven't been following it at all.  So I assume from the last post that all the problems in the Ben Lomand parish got ironed out & it is just a normal  parish under the Antiochians?

That is what I am assuming from what I read.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »

That is what I am assuming from what I read.

From what I heard it all solved now.

Offline liftsifter

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »

Yes, the problem clergy were removed from the parish, almost all being defrocked. It's a great parish now which is growing at a good pace.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »

Yes, the problem clergy were removed from the parish, almost all being defrocked. It's a great parish now which is growing at a good pace.

What great news: I love a happy ending.