Author Topic: Would you live in any other era of the past? Where?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
Would you live in any other era of the past? Where?
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
I'm just curious to hear people's thoughts. There's a common saying that even the average poor person in a Western nation lives better than the highest nobles of the 18th century and before, because most people have air conditioning, internet, health care, etc.

1. However, would you choose to live in any past era anywhere in the world if you could?

2. If you were forced to choose to live in the past, where and when?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Would you live in any other era of the past? Where?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
I think I would travel back in time to the late 1950s, so I could experience first hand the gradual development of Disneyland.  Also its close enough to the modern age in terms of creature comforts so that one would not seriously risk one's health provided one stayed away from certain toxic heavy metal contaminations; the cigarette smoke would be annoying, but I travelled in Europe in 2000 when the smoking problem was even worse than today, and also the 1950s did have Utah, yet, as an emergency escape.  This would also allow one to observe, at a safe distance, the remarkable events of the following three decades.

Also travelling back in time has a double financial advantage: deflation and foreknowledge of major economic events.  A poor man from the present with some knowledge of history could clean up in the past.  Even if he was unable to take any gold with him.

There are of course huge problems with all of this in terms of paradoxes.  Alas the real trick to daydreaming about time travel is figuring out what to do about causality.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
In Eden.

Imortality, eternal youth, superpowers and all that stuff.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
In Eden.

Imortality, eternal youth, superpowers and all that stuff.

that's cheating  >:(

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
I wouldn't if I could help it, but if I had to, I would pick last Friday because I would get to relive another blessed weekend.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »
I wouldn't if I could help it, but if I had to, I would pick last Friday because I would get to relive another blessed weekend.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • "With great power comes a great electric bill."
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
I would at least think about living in Bach's day.  There would be a health risk, but it is very tempting to hear him on the keyboards.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »
I would at least think about living in Bach's day.  There would be a health risk, but it is very tempting to hear him on the keyboards.

The other potential problem is the height differential.  However it is possible; I daresay visiting Bach would be safer than, say, the 19th century.  But you are also more likely to disrupt the timeline according to wacky ST:TNG Temporal Mechanics if you interact with a famous person.  Well, DS9 anyway (see "Trials and Tribble-ations.")

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
^I think my interaction would be insignificant.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
But even then it could still cause destructive changes.  Read "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
Could I take some gear with me? I'd really like to have a M134D-H Minigun at the Battle of Yarmouk.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
But even then it could still cause destructive changes.  Read "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury.

Why bother to read.

There is this film, Back to the Future.  It teaches that even the 1950's isn't a safe thing.

basically time travel is unwise......thank goodness its not real.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
Could I take some gear with me? I'd really like to have a M134D-H Minigun at the Battle of Yarmouk.

That would be enjoyable.

Why bother to read.

There is this film, Back to the Future.  It teaches that even the 1950's isn't a safe thing.

Well, let us be frank: Bradbury is a cut above 1980s popcorn epics.

However that all being said, both stories ignore the paradoxes even entering the past at all could generate.

If in fact time travel is possible, one has to develop a radical new approach to causality, because one has just left the relative sanity imposed by Einstein and General Relativity behind, in favor of a darker and more unpredictable universe.  By the way, theology runs into several aspects of this when we think of questions lile the changeless aspect of God, the question of divine intervention in our lives, determinism, et cetera.  The OT prophecies of our Lord seem to suggest a lack of temporal constraint in the realm of true theology, with causality amd determinism apparently being protected by the symbolism and obscurity of these revelations, which are rich in hidden information which one should not attempt to access (lest one descend into the madness of those chaps who wrote "Left Behind").
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:27:10 PM by wgw »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »

Why bother to read.

That is what all you neanderthal 21st century primitives think. Gosh, I can't wait to get home again.
God bless!

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
I'd go back with a sports alamac to my younger self.. Wait a second hmmm I seen this movie before  ;D

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »

That would be enjoyable.

Why bother to read.

However that all being said, both stories ignore the paradoxes even entering the past at all could generate.

If in fact time travel is possible, one has to develop a radical new approach to causality, because one has just left the relative sanity imposed by Einstein and General Relativity behind, in favor of a darker and more unpredictable universe.

haha wasting time analyzing just how BAD an idea a proven bad idea is...

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »

Why bother to read.

Yeah, time travel is sort of like one of those "ring of power" concepts from Lord of the Rings.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »

Why bother to read.

That is what all you neanderthal 21st century primitives think. Gosh, I can't wait to get home again.

Actually "time travel" into the future is at least theoretically possible with relativistic space flight.  Time dilation sets in as one nears the speed of light.  As this encroaches, time aboard the spacecraft passes at a slower rate than on Earth for example.  So taking this to an extreme, it is not entirely impossible to be driven by the ultimate in morbid curiosity to make a one way trip a million trillion years into the future (a thousand quadrillion, or one quintillion), by which time there should be no black holes remaining, even, only an increasingly even distribution of photons.

Actually visiting the last stars around 500 trillion years in the future, pathetic stars created by the collision of brown dwarfs, perhaps orbited by planets of degenerate matter, might be highly enjoyable.  Quantum tunneling might cause matter to exhibit erratic qualities; solids might not be precisely solid.  Evolution might well have given rise to bizarre forms of life required to survive under such conditions. 

After an infinte amount of time, the universe might re-emerge following another Big Bang, or alternately reconfigure itself into something your spacecraft might be able to safely permeate. Assuming you are still alive, and that by this time the trillion year old descendants of your stomach bacteria have not developed a civilization of their own.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
Medieval :)
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
No.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »

That would be enjoyable.

Why bother to read.

If in fact time travel is possible, one has to develop a radical new approach to causality, because one has just left the relative sanity imposed by Einstein and General Relativity behind, in favor of a darker and more unpredictable universe.

Without wishing to unsettle you, one cannot help but observe that if your line of thought is that causaloty violations == BAD!!!, our own religion has already popped open that can of worms.  Throughout the length of Scripture, the devil and God both engage in a series of causality violations, starting in the very Garden of Eden.  These all according to our own theology contain what can be regarded as temporal incursions by extra-temporal beings, one of which fortunately is infinitely good and the Creator,  The Gnostic heresy posts a rather bleaker picture in the manner of John Milton, in which one must effectively trust in the devil in order to be freed from the clutches of tbe incompetent Demiurge (who was not neccessarily incompetent or malign in Plato, but on the contrary beneficent, whereas in Gnosticism the inept demiurge is rather more unpleasant; we xan thank Simon Magus for attempting to mix this alien teligion with Christianity, according to St. Irenaeus).  In both cases, the aspect of temporal violation remains; one ludicrous aspect of Gnosticism is that time is apparently a factor of the pleroma rather than the work of the demiurge, since apparently the thought that time as well as matter were the province of an incompetent creator was more than even the powerful Gnostic imagination could bear.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:48:30 PM by wgw »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

That would be enjoyable.

Why bother to read.

Without wishing to unsettle you, one cannot help but observe that if your line of thought is that causaloty violations == BAD!!!, our own religion has already popped open that can of worms.  Throughout the length of Scripture, the devil and God both engage in a series of causality violations, starting in the very Garden of Eden.  These all according to our own theology contain what can be regarded as temporal incursions by extra-temporal beings, one of which fortunately is infinitely good and the Creator,  The Gnostic heresy posts a rather bleaker picture in the manner of John Milton, in which one must effectively trust in the devil in order to be freed from the clutches of tbe incompetent Demiurge (who was not neccessarily incompetent or malign in Plato, but on the contrary beneficent, whereas in Gnosticism the inept demiurge is rather more unpleasant; we xan thank Simon Magus for attempting to mix this alien teligion with Christianity, according to St. Irenaeus).  In both cases, the aspect of temporal violation remains; one ludicrous aspect of Gnosticism is that time is apparently a factor of the pleroma rather than the work of the demiurge, since apparently the thought that time as well as matter were the province of an incompetent creator was more than even the powerful Gnostic imagination could bear.

My line of thought is thus

WHY OVERTHINK THINGS?

and in particular

WHY OVERTHINK PRETEND THINGS?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
I remember some professors back in college days said that time travel was impossible.  I am not so sure.  It may be during my lifetime, but there are always discoveries and inventions in  the future.  There was a time that nobody thought flying was possible.  These days we have helicopters, jets, planes, and those pesky drones all over the place.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
I remember some professors back in college days said that time travel was impossible.  I am not so sure.  It may be during my lifetime, but there are always discoveries and inventions in  the future.  There was a time that nobody thought flying was possible.  These days we have helicopters, jets, planes, and those pesky drones all over the place.

It is possible to "travel into the future", one way, through the effects of time dilation.  A round trip to Alpha Centauri requires an absolute minimum of eight years or so to elapse on Earth.  With more realistic acceleration and so on, one might hope for a subjective time of twenty years, with a century passing here. 

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
I think I would travel back in time to the late 1950s,

Well son, been there done that. It was a great time for those who think everyone should know their place and stay in it.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 04:59:34 AM »
a) No. I like the internet.

b) Depends on what social class I'd be in.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 05:07:51 AM »
b) Depends on what social class I'd be in.

Oh, how many times I've had to point that out to people when they see historical movies or shows and muse, "Oh, wouldn't it be great to live in that time?". 

Me:  "Not if you're the guy cleaning out the toilets in Downton Abbey."

Anyway, I like living in present times for the most part.  Not even the Pharaohs had access to the variety of foods and cuisines that I have.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »

My line of thought is thus

WHY OVERTHINK THINGS?

and in particular

WHY OVERTHINK PRETEND THINGS?
Cause fantasy land is fun?
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »
People assume that since I study the ancient Greeks and Romans, I'd love to live among them.  That's bunk. I love centralized AC, indoor plumbing, private latrines, MP3s, on-demand TV, the ability to travel 18 miles without having to use an entire day to do so, modern rock n' roll, not so modern classical music, a (nominally) Republican government in which I can actually participate, etc.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
I'm just curious to hear people's thoughts. There's a common saying that even the average poor person in a Western nation lives better than the highest nobles of the 18th century and before, because most people have air conditioning, internet, health care, etc.

1. However, would you choose to live in any past era anywhere in the world if you could?

Yes I want to live in Israel, Jerusalem when Christ was there and become a follower of Christ.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »
Last week. That way Id know the Powerball numbers.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »

Yes I want to live in Israel, Jerusalem when Christ was there and become a follower of Christ.

You mean the Roman province of Iudaea (and during the Christian era, the province of Syria Palaestina).

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2015, 02:58:30 PM »
People assume that since I study the ancient Greeks and Romans, I'd love to live among them.  That's bunk. I love centralized AC, indoor plumbing, private latrines, MP3s, on-demand TV, the ability to travel 18 miles without having to use an entire day to do so, modern rock n' roll, not so modern classical music, a (nominally) Republican government in which I can actually participate, etc.

Were people honestly bothered so much by lack of these things back then, or do we only feel lost without them because we've so used to them?

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »

Were people honestly bothered so much by lack of these things back then, or do we only feel lost without them because we've so used to them?

You don't know what you got, til it's gone so I'm assuming the latter.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.
Like the 40's?  :o

I can't think of a time I would want to live in less than 1940's Europe.

God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.

There's a little event that happened around that time you might not like...unless you want to change the timeline.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.

I can't think of a time I would want to live in less than 1940's Europe.

You should post a map that's actually sad.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
That scares me..

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
So does your post...
God bless!

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
I would like to live in Great Britain during the early Middle Ages. Hopefully, in the reign one of the better kings or queens. Not one of the dumb ones. :)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:27:20 PM by biro »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »
I would like to live in Great Britain during the early Middle Ages. Hopefully, in the reign one of the better kings or queens. Not one of the dumb ones. :)

During the early middle ages, Britain was not united yet unless you mean the geographical area. I think it would be best to live in a peaceful duchy, like those in Wales. You could study in the many monasteries and with the future saints like Gildas.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.

*Shrugs* Why not? I'm bit of a luddite. I'd like to try living in the World where radio and jazz music where the most recent inventions.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
a) Yes.

b) Pre-50's Europe.

*Shrugs* Why not? I'm bit of a luddite. I'd like to try living in the World where radio and jazz music where the most recent inventions.
Maybe pick 40's USA. At least your cities aren't all getting leveled by continuous bombing.  :P
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
Nah, I'm way too European for that.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Would be fun for Elizabethan England

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2015, 09:19:30 PM »
1994, 1995, 1996 or 1997 and a nod to 1998.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:30:38 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »
The Levant, 9500 BCE...

"If this is the best they've got around here, in six months we'll be running this planet."

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• High Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
I would like to live near one of the ancient pillar-saints like St. Symeon the Stylite. I've always been fascinated by that particularly Syrian form of asceticism, and I think it would be interesting to be a part of the community assisting such a saint in his labors.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)