OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:34:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl  (Read 1684 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: July 12, 2005, 02:22:03 AM »

Hello, everyone. Has anyone on this forum read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankle?
I am currently reading the book and have already finished his account as a concentration camp victim.
If you have read the book, please provide a short review and your opinion of his concept of logotherapy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~startz/frankl.htm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 02:30:44 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:48:30 PM »

The Moby thread, for some strange fluke, has lasted a gazillion pages and yet this hasn't even received a reply. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:48:54 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 02:04:21 AM »

What the heck? I'm sure someone else on the forum has read this book too! Cheesy

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:04:35 AM »

I've read it.  But based on previous threads I understand why others aren't jumping into this discussion with you. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:56:20 AM »

But based on previous threads I understand why others aren't jumping into this discussion with you. 

Wait a moment...
Does that comment conern the book itself or is it a cheap shot against me?
What did you learn from the book?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 11:49:47 PM »

This book of pop psychology has had more practical application to my life than perhaps any work of Christian theology I've ever read.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 02:42:33 AM »

After seeing it on my mom's bookshelf as a kid, year after year, I finally read it this past Summer. My favorite section:

Nietzsche's words, "He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how," could be the guiding motto for all psychotherapeutic and psychohygienic efforts regarding prisoners. Whenever there was an opportunity for it, one had to give them a why- an aim - for their lives, in order to strengthen them to bear the terrible how of their existence. Woe to him who saw no more sense in his life, no aim, no purpose, and therefore no point in carrying on. He was soon lost. The typical reply with which such a man rejected all encouraging arguments was, "I have nothing to expect from life anymore." What sort of answer can one give to that?

What was really needed was a fundamental change in our attitude toward life. We had to learn ourselves and, furthermore, we had to teach the despairing men, that it did not matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life- daily and hourly. Our answer must consist, not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual.

These tasks, and therefore the meaning of life, differ from man to man, and from moment to moment. Thus it is impossible to define the meaning of life in a general way. Questions about the meaning of life can never be answered by sweeping statements. "Life" does not mean something vague, but something very real and concrete, just as life's tasks are also very real and concrete. They form man's destiny, which is different and unique for each individual. No man and no destiny can be compared with any other man or any other destiny. No situation repeats itself, and each situation calls for a different response. Sometimes the situation in which a man finds himself may require him to shape his own fate by action. At other times it is more advantageous for him to make use of an opportunity for contemplation and to realize assets in this way. Sometimes man may be required simply to accept fate, to bear his cross. Every situation is distinguished by its uniqueness, and there is always only one right answer to the problem posed by the situation at hand.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 02:43:34 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 03:06:25 AM »

This particular part is my favorite as of now:

Love is the only way to grasp another human being in the innermost core of his personality. No one can become fully aware of the very essence of another human being unless he loves him. By his love he is enabled to see the essential traits and features in the beloved person; and even more, he sees that which is potential in him, which is not yet actualized but yet ought to be actualized. Furthermore, by his love, the loving person enables the beloved person to actualize these potentialities. By making him aware of the what he can be and of what he should become, he makes these potentialities come true.

Viktor Frankl

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: