Author Topic: Can Roman Catholics and Anglicans venerate icons? Her Majesty is.  (Read 5000 times)

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
Re: Can Roman Catholics and Anglicans venerate icons? Her Majesty is.
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:52 AM »
Anglicans are quite ok with imagery and icons. Every famous Church of England Cathedral I ever visited has Icons.

Here's two icons from Southwark Cathedral,

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Sakuramochi95/12019985_10206574848081493_7938332486185608234_n_zpstcpgrhpe.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Sakuramochi95/12038229_10206574846201446_1244812641722163721_n_zpsyhpn8tz2.jpg

Whether or not these icons are venerated is another issue all together though.

That is very intresting nice album/avatars :P

Uhh...thanks I guess  :-[

Do you have Steam/Myanimelist? If you do I would really like if you PM your links to me. I also need some advice about a thing.

Sadly no :(

I can however make a Myanimelist account and PM you the link though.

Seriously? You need tomake both accounts. Even steam has free games almost any computer can run. I can tell you more over PM. MAL is a great way to keep track of anime and such and they have forums as well. pls

But why?

Anyways, I already got the MAL account set up. Will PM you the link

I don't have any friends...just one person I talk to sometimes.
Well you got OC.net users to talk to and you have me.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
If you would like to carry on a side conversation, please do so via PM so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
From my knowledge, roman catholics venerate icons.

It might be more accurate to say the Roman Catholics venerate images, which includes icons, statues, pictures, etc. A lot of Catholic imagery is decorative, but people certainly kiss statues and light candles and incense in front of them. It is also very different among different ethnicities.

I think the trend in most Roman Catholic Churches is away from the veneration of Icons.
Where I live, almost all the statues and icons are no longer in Roman Catholic parishes, but they are moved to a side chapel where the Eucharist is reserved. Few venture therein. Nevertheless, in Eastern Catholic Churches, icons are venerated. In fact, those are the only places where veneration of icons is consistent.

In Anglican Churches, veneration of icons occurs far less frequently than in the Roman Catholic Churches, unless it is a High Anglican church.

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »
Anglicans are quite ok with imagery and icons. Every famous Church of England Cathedral I ever visited has Icons.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Sakuramochi95/12019985_10206574848081493_7938332486185608234_n_zpstcpgrhpe.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Sakuramochi95/12038229_10206574846201446_1244812641722163721_n_zpsyhpn8tz2.jpg

Icons are rarely, if ever, venerated by Anglicans. Their presence in churches, and few at that, are because they're "exotic" and "mystical", a facet of "Anglican comprehensiveness". Few Anglicans seriously look into what icons truly are and their place in Orthodox worship and devotion.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »

Icons are rarely, if ever, venerated by Anglicans. Their presence in churches, and few at that, are because they're "exotic" and "mystical", a facet of "Anglican comprehensiveness". Few Anglicans seriously look into what icons truly are and their place in Orthodox worship and devotion.
I don't know much about them to say whether they venerate them or not. The low church probably would see them as art and exotic decoration. The high church may have more respect for them.

I'll grant that the Church of England put them there as a sort of gesture of respect for the Eastern Orthodox.

My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:53 PM »

I don't know much about them to say whether they venerate them or not. The low church probably would see them as art and exotic decoration. The high church may have more respect for them.

I'll grant that the Church of England put them there as a sort of gesture of respect for the Eastern Orthodox.

No doubt. The icons help to beautify their churches. For most Anglicans, church is a social event, a happy habit, where one puts on his or hers best clothes, visits family and acquaintances, and hears some words of platitude from the pastor, such as:

The definition of insanity (or sin) is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.
(attributed to Albert Einstein)

However, the people are given absolutely no grace to stop sinning, just a little hope to keep on doing the same insane things in hopes that something will work someday.

But the icon, if they even look at it, could add some hope.

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »
I think thats an altogether unfair characterization of Anglicanism.  Ive attended Anglican church enough times to be able to attest to the existence of piety therein.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 12:15:44 AM »

No doubt. The icons help to beautify their churches. For most Anglicans, church is a social event, a happy habit, where one puts on his or hers best clothes, visits family and acquaintances, and hears some words of platitude from the pastor, such as:

The definition of insanity (or sin) is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results.

However, the people are given absolutely no grace to stop sinning, just a little hope to keep on doing the same insane things in hopes that something will work someday.

How many Anglican services at how many Anglican churches have you visited, Maria?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

How many Anglican services at how many Anglican churches have you visited, Maria?

Enough. When I was a child and then a teenager, my dad would take us camping at least twice or three times a year, and then head for the nearest church in the nearest town thinking that it was Catholic, when it was Anglican because the billboard said "St. Mark's Church," "St. John the Divine Church," "St. Luke's Church," or "St. Paul's Church" or St. Mary's Church". It was not until we received the parish bulletin after the service was over, that we realized that we were in the wrong church. They had almost the same Novus Ordo liturgy as was celebrated in the Roman Catholic Church, and the same banal sermon, and the same hymns. We felt at home, unthreatened, with people wearing decent clothes and smiling at everyone. My dad tried to find different campsites to visit, so we were always surprised that he found so many different Anglican churches.

It always made for interesting confessions, but our priest was always very understanding and congratulated us for trying, but he did not like the idea that we had supported those Anglicans.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2015, 06:57:58 AM »

Enough.
That doesn't answer my question.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
Sadly, "Anglican theology" has long ceased being coherent. Their appropriation of Orthodox trappings is no surprise.

I always wondered this; if the Queen one morning in all honesty claimed she witnessed, say, the Archangel Michael talk to her to say some message, is that experience supposed to be embued within the Church theology then?

I know most Britons probably wouldn't take it too seriously but still.
[/quote:] they won't talk theology . More like :
get ready you old welfare queen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:56:33 AM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Shamati

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
Instead of being angry they're "appropriating orthodoxy" - you should rejoice in that Orthodoxy has managed to make an impact on a congregation that has chosen to apostasize even from protestant christianity in favour of progressivism.

Besides, Iconography existed in northern Europe as well before the protestant heresies began. There are many medieval icons made in the west that are very similar in style to ancient greek ones. Even the rosary is a development from the prayer ropes used by orthodox to this day - people in the western church also used to use a prayer rope & venerate icons & relics.

You can see that the state protestant churches are slowly moving back towards traditional christianity in many aspects while in doctrine they're moving the opposite way. Also disproving the validity of protestantism itself since the new, heretical doctrines of homosexual marriages, priestesses & bishopesses were defined by the protestant churches by majority vote - they show why the Church cant be guided by majority vote.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
Instead of being angry they're "appropriating orthodoxy" - you should rejoice in that Orthodoxy has managed to make an impact on a congregation that has chosen to apostasize even from protestant christianity in favour of progressivism.

Where's the fun in that?
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.