OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 11:13:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stoked  (Read 2310 times) Average Rating: 0
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 11, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

After what seems a world of hesitation, I finally asked a priest to accept me as a Catechumen!

His suggestion was that we could start the catechumenate in August, and God-willing I will be Chrismated next Pascha. (I guess that’s April 23) Please pray for me as I embark on this journey.

In spite of the fact that I prefer not to wait so long (it seems like forever to me) I am very happy. I accept whatever Father decides on this matter. At last I am coming home!

I am stoked! Cheesy Grin Cheesy

+T+
Michael
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 03:24:35 PM by Hesychios » Logged

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 04:05:17 PM »

Michael,

woo hoo! i remember what a feeling of relief and peace it was for me when i finally became a catechumen...the journey will be very rewarding, even with the length you have described (in fact, in many ways *because* of the length you have described...mine was almost the same length i think, although i didn't know anything going into it)...you have the right attitude, to trust your priest's judgment - trust is the best foundation on which to build the Spiritual Father-spiritual child (for lack of a better term) relationship, IMO. anyway, congrats, many years, and welcome home Smiley

In Christ,
Donna Mary

hmmmm...
Girl
Search the unknown

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:13:59 PM »

How long is someone usually a catechumen?

"Go out and make disciples of all nations" (Mathew 28:19)
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »

How long is someone usually a catechumen?

it varies. some of the more traditional churches require a year or more, while others require less. i think in ancient times it was either a year or 3 years, i cant remember. also, the line delineating "catechumen" is not always clear, since sometimes a person will be considered a catechumen by the priest without having done the service to make him/her one, which means it's sometimes hard to say when that person's catechumenate began. basically a catechumen is someone who attends services regularly and is in correspondance (in classes or individual meetings or however it works for each person) with the priest in order to learn more about the faith, with the eventual objective of joining the Church fully.

hmmmm...
Girl
Search the unknown

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »

hummmmmmmmmm....... wow, at my church catechumen classes are only four months.  Undecided

"Go out and make disciples of all nations" (Mathew 28:19)
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 04:32:29 PM »

Orthodoxy works on an individual basis. Some people may need 2 months, some people may need two years. We don't usually have courses to complete but instead combine education with discernment on the part of the priest as to one's spiritual condition and level of understanding about Orthodox beliefs.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 06:12:31 PM »

a story to supplement what choirfiend said:

this man who was a catechumen while i was one also, he had become a catechumen way before me, and had gone through the inquirer classes in the round prior to mine (i.e. the year before), but after finishing the classes still felt he was not ready to join the Church fully, and so simply attended services and continued to discern for himself for what was probably about an additional year....my priest told me when i became a catechumen that after that step, he does not pressure the catechumen, but simply guides and is present to answer questions, etc., and that it would be up to the catechumen to speak up about feeling ready, at which time my priest would either concur or suggest more time...so this man i mentioned was received into the church only a week prior to me, but had probably been a catechumen twice as long. it really is a case by case basis.

hmmmm...
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 07:30:33 PM »

After what seems a world of hesitation, I finally asked a priest to accept me as a Catechumen!

His suggestion was that we could start the catechumenate in August, and God-willing I will be Chrismated next Pascha. (I guess that’s April 23) Please pray for me as I embark on this journey.

Congratulations Michael!  Believe me, the time will fly by.  It'll be Pascha before you know it.  What jurisdiction are you joining? 

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 09:28:56 PM »

Speaking from my own experience I think the longer the catachumenate the better.  Long study and working to begin an Orthodox life coupled with the desire for the Grace of the church truly prepare one for baptism. 
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »

Congratulations Michael!  Believe me, the time will fly by.  It'll be Pascha before you know it.  What jurisdiction are you joining? 

Hi Jennifer!

I was so deeply involved in my old church that it took a long time to decompress. I am now satisfied that I am making the right decision.

I will join the OCA, God willing.  Smiley

+T+
Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 09:50:17 PM »

Congrats!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 09:48:20 AM »

In spite of the fact that I prefer not to wait so long (it seems like forever to me) I am very happy. I accept whatever Father decides on this matter. At last I am coming home!

I am stoked! Cheesy Grin Cheesy

+T+
Michael

Good luck with it, and it'll be here before you know it...
BTW, you just put me into an EXCELLENT mood...  I just realized that next year Pascha is on my Birthday!!!  WooHoo...  turning the 1/4 of the century mark can't be that bad if your B-Day is on Pascha!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:08:36 PM »

Well, I got the word this week.  Cheesy

I will be accepted along with two other catechumens on Christmas Eve! I cannot believe how quickly things have moved!

I am very happy  Grin Although I appreciate all of the preparation necessary and somehow would like it to continue in some way.

I love my parish, my priest is outstanding, the whole congregation is loving and reverent! I could not have made a better choice if I had known what I was doing!! This is likely going to be the best Christmas ever for me, with the best possible gift. It only took me 50 years to see may way to this point.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Michael

Jaroslav Pelikan
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 05:54:42 AM »

Great news! Congratulations Michael Smiley
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 09:15:01 AM »

Congrats

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: