Author Topic: Saint Paul said it was better...why please?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
Saint Paul said it was better...why please?
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
Why did Saint Paul advocate singleness?

I know why he encouraged some to marry, I don't need to know about that.

Is it better to not marry because marriage in Christianity is likened to Christ and The Church which is a pure communion between two people in life and spiritually. Therefore it is a thing that only some can attain because many (as evidenced by the frequent breakdowns in marriage, my own included) cannot or are not suited for it or unprepared for what it means fully?

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Saint Paul said it was better...why please?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Thanks Alxandra, there is a place at 109 on the video where the Father mentions a man and I couldn't figure out what the heck his name was from listening as he spoke so fast. It sounded like Elder Heraldamous Dioneeciatees? An Athenite Monk.

Can someone clarify that name pls?

The Father mentions that marriage and singleness/monasticism are both holy and equal, the essence of his talk. Does that mean some are more suited to one or the other as one might not be attainable for them.....the Father mentions a man who has a lot of debts is not suitable to recommend for marriage to a sister in the Church. So suitability rather than what life a person simply chooses seems to be key?

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
Thanks Alxandra, there is a place at 109 on the video where the Father mentions a man and I couldn't figure out what the heck his name was from listening as he spoke so fast. It sounded like Elder Heraldamous Dioneeciatees? An Athenite Monk.

The Athonite monk name is Charalambos Dionysiatis
Here is a link https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=el&u=http://panta-en-sofia.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_23.html&prev=search
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:01:26 PM by Alxandra »
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
My two cents:

There are pros and cons to both, and they are both considered equally holy paths.  The thing with celibacy is that it is considered as the holy goal for all, even after one is married and has children and gets old.  Now, I only say what I hear, but I am by no means the authority to discuss these issues of this goal for married folks.  But it seems to me the attractive thing about celibacy is that you devote your whole self, your whole life to ministry.  It is something that can be done with married couples, but at that point, the whole family must be serving, which sometimes, you tend to have jobs and children that might take away from the grander service, but at the very least, the raising of the family becomes this grand service, which is as spiritually rewarding.  Whereas in celibacy, in Christian celibacy, there is a potential you become a father or mother to thousands in a spiritual way if you are diligent in your service, at least much easier than the married.  That is probably why St. Paul said that he wishes all were like him, but not everyone can be a celibate.  It is a gift from God just as marriage is, and it is for those who can handle it.

Of course, both paths require a certain amount of maturity.  So a man who is in debt is neither fit for marriage or an official celibate status either.  This particular "suitability" simply seems to me a question of personal maturity, which is required for either path you choose, or rather you feel are called for.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:41:58 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »

The Athonite monk name is Charalambos Dionysiatis
Here is a link https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=el&u=http://panta-en-sofia.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_23.html&prev=search
Woah I wasn't even close ha!
Thank you for clarifying that.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
My two cents:

There are pros and cons to both, and they are both considered equally holy paths.  The thing with celibacy is that it is considered as the holy goal for all, even after one is married and has children and gets old.  Now, I only say what I hear, but I am by no means the authority to discuss these issues of this goal for married folks.  But it seems to me the attractive thing about celibacy is that you devote your whole self, your whole life to ministry.  It is something that can be done with married couples, but at that point, the whole family must be serving, which sometimes, you tend to have jobs and children that might take away from the grander service, but at the very least, the raising of the family becomes this grand service, which is as spiritually rewarding.  Whereas in celibacy, in Christian celibacy, there is a potential you become a father or mother to thousands in a spiritual way if you are diligent in your service, at least much easier than the married.  That is probably why St. Paul said that he wishes all were like him, but not everyone can be a celibate.  It is a gift from God just as marriage is, and it is for those who can handle it.

Of course, both paths require a certain amount of maturity.  So a man who is in debt is neither fit for marriage or an official celibate status either.  This particular "suitability" simply seems to me a question of personal maturity, which is required for either path you choose, or rather you feel are called for.

Ok so let's say someone clearly wasn't equipped for marriage even though they wanted it and had desired being in a family for so long. If they recognised that they choose badly, a husband, even though they thought they were being objective in that choice and safeguarding any grooves their familial history fell into time and time again...say in that way they were ill suited for it. The better path of the two would be to choose singleness because they're not dragging a heap of other people through any mess they got into. They are simply being responsible for their own self.

Would that be a fair choice to make between the two Holy paths and for responsible reasons?

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »
Maybe...perhaps, I don't know.  As long as it comes from a sense of positively choosing celibacy, and not choosing celibacy merely because of failing at choosing the right guy.  The point is to embrace celibacy, not to give up on the other path to find yourself grudgingly choosing it
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:19:47 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.