OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE LORD OF THE RINGS, A TALE FOR OUR TIME  (Read 814 times) Average Rating: 0
Janice2001

« on: July 10, 2005, 04:13:47 PM »

This may be an offtopic, but I need to get as many comments as I can.
I have recently translated one priest's review of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy for the Christian Missionary Journal Foma. Below is the first paragraph of my translation.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS”, A TALE FOR OUR TIME

A discussion with Fr. Maxim Pervozvanskiy

The recent movie adaptation of the “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy has become a real hit. It is the first time a fantasy tale has received so many Oscars and gained such an enormous audience. The popularity of the film is of course partly due to the fact that it is based on the famous novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. How successfully does the film depict Tolkien’s world? (Tolkien himself said that the book was impossible to film, but did give his permission to adapt the movie to the screen — Ed. Note) What is the influence of “The Lord of the Rings” on its young audience and readers? Has this trilogy not become for them a new “lord of the minds”? These were the main questions we tried to discuss with Fr. Maksim Pervozvanskiy, the editor-in-chief of the Orthodox Youth Magazine. Please do not take Fr. Maxim's ideas as an official Church statement of any kind; what we have here is a private opinion of a priest, a missionary involved in working with young adults.

http://fomacenter.ru/english/index.php?issue=5§ion=53&article=1033
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 04:14:40 PM by Janice2001 » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:04:42 PM »

I have not had a chance to read all of the linked article, but what I have read shows some good thought and understanding of the books.  I think I disagree with him on a couple of points. for example he does not find the Eldar to be well done in the movie.  Whereas I think that the movies do capture some the differences and mystery of the Elves.  If one reads the Silmarillion and other background material, the story of Elrond of Rivendell is that of one grief after another. 

I look forward to finishing the article and discussing it here.  Thank you for posting about it Janice. (I must warn you, if you haven't seen some of the other LotR threads, that I'm a terrible geek.  Wink )

Namarie,

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »

I don't know, Ebor.  I could definitely give you a run for your money on the geekiness factor.  I mean, I'm working on a post detailing what Eru meant when he said "none can alter the Music in my despite" and "that all things have their source in me" for a Tolkien forum.

After reading that article, I found it to be very good and fair.  Relatively well-translated, as well.  I like that priest.  Well, looks like it's time for a marathon watching of the Triliogy when I get home tonight. Cheesy

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: