Author Topic: The Prologue of Ohrid by St. Nikolai Velimirovic  (Read 883 times)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
The Prologue of Ohrid by St. Nikolai Velimirovic
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
I am curious about the format and construction of this book published by Sebastian Press of the Western American Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Cloth bound? Smyth sewn?

Does it warrant the price tag?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Re: The Prologue of Ohrid by St. Nikolai Velimirovic
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
There's an online version  (actually several online versions).  Here's one: http://www.rocor.org.au/?page_id=925

But, if you're like me and prefer an actual book to hold in your hands, I completely understand. Unfortunately, I know nothing of that particular version.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »
What price tag do you see? The 2 volume hardback version on Amazon that I'm looking at is $120. I guess if you want a daily lives of the saints type of thing, and in book form rather than the internet or smart phone/tablet, then it's about a good a compromise as you'll get--organized, blurb-like content for several saints, with some other thougths, so it's better as a daily thing than individual books that have stories about various saints, but most likely of different lengths (some might take an entire week or more), no real continuity between time and text, and so forth. On the other hand, it's a good thing to go with, especially at first, rather than throwing down $300-500 for some version of the Synaxarion. We had the four volume hardback version, and I believe my wife had paid ~$100 for it. This was back around 2001ish, so it hasn't really increased a ton in price over the years, though there may have been some cost-cutting measures (putting the same content into only 2 volumes maybe being one of them). The content was fine, if traditionally hagiographical. Not following the 'godless academics' is maybe to be expected in a devotional/inspirational text, but this one follows things fairly strictly from what I remember; essentially: if isomething was said in the 10th century, that's what was put in in the 20th. I think there's a lot of value in that, but I also remember some of the passages (myths) driving me crazy. I think Alveus started a thread about a story in there one time.
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »
I have used the website before and I have the "Daily Readings" app which has a bit of hagiography but not much. 

I tend to favor physical copies of books but quite honestly many books I have from Orthodox Presses are pretty cheaply made and I'd probably just as well get the ebook instead.