Author Topic: Hit Me With Some Knowledge  (Read 767 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • wat?
Hit Me With Some Knowledge
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
Anyone know of a good book that gives population estimates for places in ancient and medieval europe/near east, and explains what goes into such calculations?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Hit Me With Some Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:55:29 AM »
Anyone know of a good book that gives population estimates for places in ancient and medieval europe/near east, and explains what goes into such calculations?

Yes. I do.
3,000 Years of Urban Growth. by Tertius Chandler, Gerald Fox; Academic Press 1974
Four Thousand Years of Urban Growth: An Historical Census. by Tertius Chandler; St. David's University Press, 1987.

The rational is in the academic press book. You can also find the rational in google scholar papers that use the data.

Much of this data is in Tertius Chandler's Half Encyclopedia, 1956, which I own. This book is precious. It also contains poems that he wrote like "Ode to a Big, Bad, Bygone, Berserk Turk" (Selim I, 1467-1520) and the "Siege of Belgrade" (1790).

We are fortunate that a park ranger discovered Tertius living in a cave in the hills outside of Chico CA.

I have picked a poem that is not available on the internet.

Manifesto to Unmarried Scholars - Dec. 1945

Oh, ye men of bookland, men of learning,  men of the libraries
Hearken, hear ye, gather to my call:
We have no girl friends,
No girls at all,

Statistics tell us
With a groan
That most of us who rise to fame
Go through our lives alone.

It's the other men that have them,
The men of the street,
They know how to woo 'em
And sweep them off their feet,

Oh ye men of bookland,
Is it worth the fight?
Do we too want companionship
Through the long dark - period when the stars are bright?

We must learn to pay attentions,
To stir them up some way -
Something gallant or romantic
Or exciting or risque'.
We must please them, even squeeze them
If they say that that's OK.

We can learn a new dimension;
We can learn that men are men.
Now prowlers of the bookshelves,
Back to your books again.

If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • wat?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »

Yes. I do.
3,000 Years of Urban Growth. by Tertius Chandler, Gerald Fox; Academic Press 1974
Four Thousand Years of Urban Growth: An Historical Census. by Tertius Chandler; St. David's University Press, 1987.

Thanks, I will have to get this through interlibrary loan (it is currently too expensive on Amazon).

We are fortunate that a park ranger discovered Tertius living in a cave in the hills outside of Chico CA.

Wait... huh? What's the story there? Why was he out in a cave?

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:15:18 PM »

Yes. I do.

Thanks, I will have to get this through interlibrary loan (it is currently too expensive on Amazon).

Wait... huh? What's the story there? Why was he out in a cave?

From everything I read, it was to save money for his research. This is the anecdote from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Born into a well-to-do family in Massachusetts in 1915, Mr. Chandler graduated from Harvard University and moved to Berkeley in 1937 to study at the University of California. Finding himself alienated from academia, he spent 15 years roaming the West, often supporting himself as a dishwasher.

Berkeley historian Carl Wilson said he met Mr. Chandler in 1948, when Wilson was a ranger at Lassen National Forest. He said he got a call that Mr. Chandler was living in a cave near Susanville and offered him a summer job on the station's fire crew.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Tertius-P-Chandler-2757955.php
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
Thanks, Opus.  Most interesting.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings