Author Topic: Godliness is profitable for all things  (Read 654 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Godliness is profitable for all things
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:30:02 AM »
1 Timothy 4
8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come
13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
 15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. 16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

With verses 13,15,16 it seems to be godly you must read the word

Read the bible as if your life depends on it for it does both your earthly life and eternal life

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Re: Godliness is profitable for all things
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:42:31 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »
All things I suppose does not mean literally all things but all important things

1 Timothy 6:5-8 (NKJV)
5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:45:07 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »
It seems to me St. Paul is saying do not think that godliness comes from any physical exercise you do, or anything from within yourself.  Godliness is from above, from God.  And what came from above?  His teachings, His doctrines, His Christ.

That doesn't mean exercise is bad, but it is not where Godliness comes from.  Godliness, or grace, works with these exercises to help you grow spiritually.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Verse 8, to me, says some physical exercise does profit one and is good BUT (the turning point) God is better.

In those days that group of people gave GREAT meaning and time to physical exercise and St. Paul is saying OK, but there IS something better: God.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:19:08 PM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:03 AM »
Thanks Mina and LenInSebastopol :)

Mina that is a good observation  grace is a gift from God which no one is worthy to earn