OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buzzing and Drunkage  (Read 2897 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: July 09, 2005, 11:11:37 PM »

I haven't been drunk (Shame!) for nearly 3 years. But I often catch buzzes on my good old friend, Jagermeister. tongight the lines are blurred.ÂÂ  I haven't thrown up, which I almost always do when stone-cold drunk. On th eother hand, I'm tyingpin like this. Smiley So a question. Where does drunkenness begin and :buzz" end? Is buzz in itself bad? What exactly is wrong with being drunk (not that I would argue that being drunk is ok! I'm just asking about the limits), that will perhaps help determine whether being buzzed is wrong. How far is too far, I guess is the question?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 11:12:40 PM by Paradosis » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 11:20:15 PM »

Here is a good rule of thumb, if you are thinking that you might have drank too much, you probably have. When you drink to the point of buzzing, your inhibitions are lowered and you are more likely to succumb to the passions. If you drink because you like the taste, that is one thing, but if you are drinking to get drunk or a buzzed feeling that is different. But to be fair, just like not over drinking one likewise should not over eat.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 11:27:31 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

Not to sound too overly zealous (and if I come across as such, realize that is not my intent) but this verse came to mind:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
-- 1 Corinthians 6:12

While there is nothing wrong with the occasional drink, over-indulgence is never a good thing.  I agree with what Νικολάος Διάκονος was saying.  If you feel you've had too much than you have.  And you should figure out the reason why you drink.  There is a time and a place for most things, although I can hardly think of a situation when being drunk is in order.  What I've always wondered is where's the fun in being plastered out of your mind.  Could someone explain that to me?

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 11:31:05 PM »

What I've always wondered is where's the fun in being plastered out of your mind.ÂÂ  Could someone explain that to me?

It usually involves there being something in your mind you'd rather not remember, or at least that's my experience.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »

I think a light buzz from a moderate amount of drinking is fine as the psalm says, "wine that gladdens the heart of man" but once you get to the point where your inhibiltions are lowered like Deacon Nikolai says that's when you have gone too far.  So you should also probably take into account the situation; if you are at home with your wife or very close friends it's probably acceptable to drink a little more than if you are out in public or around people you do not know.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:00:51 AM »

I think it comes down to how it effects you. I can drink all night and my temperament stays the same and have no problem functioning at all. I can't stand people that drink and they completely become a different person. I don't think anyone should drink if it has that kind of affect on them. If it changes you to that extent, then you become open to sin and debauchery. I guess it comes down to each persons tolerance level.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 01:53:42 AM »

I think it comes down to how it effects you. I can drink all night and my temperament stays the same and have no problem functioning at all. I can't stand people that drink and they completely become a different person. I don't think anyone should drink if it has that kind of affect on them. If it changes you to that extent, then you become open to sin and debauchery. I guess it comes down to each persons tolerance level.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well.

I was recently at a social event (secular) and there was plenty of delicious microbrew.  An Orthodox friend and I were eating dinner at a table, both of us had beers, and this other guy across the table didn't.  She (my friend) asked him some personal questions, which led him to say he believes in Christ (he's Christian.  No idea what denomination, but it's not important at the moment).  Then, he mentions how a scripture verse says that drunkeness opens up lustful thoughts and inappropriate behavious, and btw, he's married, so he doesn't need alcohol to tempt him.  Well, later at this event, she (my friend) left (she had two pints), I stayed the night at the event (there was lodging), but ended up having around 5 pints before I went to bed.  I felt that I had all of my mental faculties, but a little buzz going on.  Next morning, I felt a little weird, but generally fine.  Later that morning, it caught up to me though I had a little nausea and a headache - not fun.  I realize that since alcohol dehydrates you, that is one of the reasons of a "hangover", but if you are prone to these effects, it is better to drink less and try to drink water as well.  I probably would've been fine if I had stopped at 3 pints.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »

What exactly is wrong with being drunk (not that I would argue that being drunk is ok! I'm just asking about the limits), that will perhaps help determine whether being buzzed is wrong. How far is too far, I guess is the question?

I tried an experiement once, and did not drink at an office Christmas party- and let me tell you, interacting with people who are anywhere in the spectrum between "buzzing" and drunk when you are completely sober is not pretty.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 04:50:46 PM »

. How far is too far, I guess is the question?
     Paradosis: Only a drunk would ask this question!!!! (jk) Wink.
  It`s different for everyone, right? What is moderate for me might be over the line for you.
I don`t know how old you are , but over time, a person learns ( sometimes the hard way) what their limits are.On my personal encounters with Jagarmeister, it`s only taken two or three shots of that nasty stuff before I know I`m there ( he`s no friend of mine...I likes my liquor clear!)
Just always remember God ..even when you`re buzzed or drunk.

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 09:48:02 AM »

The stupidest things I've ever done is when I'd had too much.  Now when I go out (or stay in, I have people over all the time) I try to drink less, though depending on the company it doesn't always work. 

Also, to avoid a hangover, what works for me usually is to eat some McDonalds before hand (anything greasy, actually), and for every beer, shot, or glass, drink 1/2 a glass of water. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
browneyedgirl

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 12:45:08 PM »

I tried an experiement once, and did not drink at an office Christmas party- and let me tell you, interacting with people who are anywhere in the spectrum between "buzzing" and drunk when you are completely sober is not pretty.

I agree! They just look stupid when you are sober.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 03:36:52 PM »

There are people who can drink only a thimblefull of wine and feel like the room is crashing down on them.  I have met them.  I've also met people who could take alot, a frag of a lot, and still be as normal as they ever were (it aint saying much  Roll Eyes)

This one friend I once had drank a six (Bud), two bottles of white zinfandel, three jello shots, a zombie, half a bottle of vodka, and two fingers of tequila.  He woke up the next moring, downed two more beers and went on to a final exam which he passed with flying colours.

Dont try this at home folks.   Grin

He was half Russian, half Serbian, BTW.   I don't know if that means anything.   Wink

Rul for me is, If I drink, I only take one beer or glass of wine ( Guinness of Riesling, genreally). Otherwise, tea.  I always end up ordering that anyhow.

Peace

Ian Lazarus

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »

This one friend I once had drank a six (Bud), two bottles of white zinfandel, three jello shots, a zombie, half a bottle of vodka, and two fingers of tequila.  He woke up the next moring, downed two more beers and went on to a final exam which he passed with flying colours.

this would kill me. i mean it. this sounds absolutely insane that someone could drink all this in one night without getting alcohol poisoning...i've had it before, on far less alcohol (but still a fair amount), and it is NOT pretty. i dont like being drunk, so *if* i drink it is with meals and it is always just a glass of wine or thereabouts. i think a light buzz is okay, but i believe we should try to exercise temperence in all that we do, drink included, and so  for me a marker for when my drinking is becoming intemperate is when i sense i am getting drunk. and of course always considering the *reason* a person is drinking - if the reason is solely to get drunk or even buzzed, i think that is a sign that it is for the wrong reason. if a light buzz results from drinking for other reasons like taste, etc, then that is another matter entirely. it shouldnt be the goal in mind, IMO.  just my 2 cents.

hmmmm...
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 05:26:01 PM »

What I've always wondered is where's the fun in being plastered out of your mind.  Could someone explain that to me?

As the child of an alchohalic, I've spent my life wondering the exact same thing.

I echo the opinion that the occasional drink or two is fine, but more than that is overindulgence. If you feel buzzed, stop and switch to something without alchohal.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 06:14:18 PM »

If you feel buzzed, stop and switch to something without alchohal.

this is really good advice, IMO. a coke or pepsi w/ a lime is my favorite non-alcoholic drink Smiley

hmmmm...
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 06:44:38 PM »

Iced tea
  Iced tea
    Iced tea

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(and guinness)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 06:44:54 PM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 07:29:24 PM »

What I've always wondered is where's the fun in being plastered out of your mind.  Could someone explain that to me?

Cos it's fun. If it weren't, nobody would ever do it.  Grin
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 09:17:28 PM »

Iced tea
  Iced tea
    Iced tea

Yeah, the Long Island variety that is... Wink
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 09:39:51 PM »

Well, now that I got my bartending certificate recently I will enjoy working at a nice gig serving tasty drinks... . Cool  I already kinda got a home bar set up and after Liturgy people come over and I get alot of practice serving drinks to everyone. This will be a good change - up for sure after being in politics the last few years which was starting to drive me nuts. If anyone wants some recipes to some really good drinks drop me a personal message. I have tasted most of them out there... Wink     

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 08:53:43 AM »

For all of it's excess, I actually think our society is actually prudish in it's own backward, strange little way (North American Anglo society, particularly the American variety, though you see some of this here in Canucklehead-land as well).

Of course, whenever you have unnatural supression, you can expect powder-keg, binge explosions of misbehaviour.  I've long believed it's precisely because of the schitzoid attitude we have toward alcohol ("it's ok when you're 21", or here in Canada, "19"), that you have so much ridiculous behaviour amongst young adults whenever they do get their hands on some "drink."  I'm willing to bet dimes-to-donuts, that a young man raised in a house where once he was of sufficient age to not be made sick by any alcohol comsumption, was allowed to have a drink with dad every now and then, and got to see people drink in a responsible way (even if at times a little too much) will grow up to have a healthier attitude toward these things than someone raised in a situation contrary to this (most particularly, one in which he was basically taught that somehow, magically, when he turned 21 it would become moral/ethical for him to have a drink.)

Perhaps in part this is also a manifestation of the truth, that in order to really feast, one must also fast.  Our societies, like the puritans, have no concept of either in any authentic sense.  Also throw into the mix a condemnation of nature (whether it be sex, drink, or moderate creature comforts) in place of authentic ascesis (implicit to which is the recognition that the things being abstained from are, in context, lawful goods given to us by our Creator), and you have a horribly confusing mess which in the end, breeds misery and perversion, not virtue.

And btw. no one drinks alcohol just for taste (indeed, it usually takes time to develop a palette for such things).  And that's not in itself a bad thing - there's a time and place for almost everything, most certainly this.

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 10:02:22 AM »

.  What I've always wondered is where's the fun in being plastered out of your mind.  Could someone explain that to me?

I'll take a stab at why getting blitz could be fun... 
Take me, for example.  I am generally a very (in person, anyway) quiet, reserved, always-sorta-in-the-background kind of person.  Not that I mind being like this, but every once in a while it gets boring.  Its great sometimes to get together with friends, down some shots, or wine, or beer, or mixed drinks (or all of those together) and let loose.  For me, I use the rare occasion when I'm comfortable enough with the people I'm with (a rare occasion) to use the excuse of alcohol to be silly, and do silly things.  Alcohol tends to make me a bit more relaxed than usual, so I can say stuff to people I generally never would (though I'm usually thinking it when I'm sober).  This usually ends up with rather funny results, as these people never expect me to say the things I say. 
In other words, my friends and I (I've never really analyzed this before... fascinating...) probably find getting a bit over tipsy fun, because it actually allows us to get to know each other more than if we stayed our sober conservative selves all the time.  Granted, when we see each other the next time (say, at church) we'll be acting respectable again, but it creates a closeness that wouldn't be there if every once in a while we didn't have these little binges. 
So you might say we need to loosen up when we're sober, that we shouldn't need alcohol to become close friends.  But then again, some of my best friends are people that the only way I really got to know was through getting drunk together, so, I'm not going to knock a system that works.
I do fear alcoholism... I do have it in my family, and therefore I keep these kinds of things from happening more than a few times a year.  I actually don't drink very much in general, 2 or 3 drinks every other weekend. 
So, this might not be a very good explanation, but perhaps it might shed a little bit of light of why people want to get blitzed from time to time.
(BTW, I do have a fully stocked bar at home, but it doesn't get much use... it just looks pretty :-) )

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »

What's all this nonsense about iced tea (which is pronounced "tay", by the way)?  If you're going to drink tea, drink it the right way: hot and with a nip of uisce in it for good measure.  Jeez, do I have to spell it out for all you English pigdogs? Roll Eyes Grin

-Philip

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 01:02:59 PM »

you know most of you Irish sound like pirates...  Cheesy
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 01:48:47 PM »

I usually try to practice what I preach (I'm a family physician) and drink no more than two beers per day (and that only on weekends)--with the medical recommendation for moderate intake for females being one drink or less a day.ÂÂ  Of course, this varies from person to person, and I certainly don't advocate that people who don't drink start (I never know who is going to be an alcoholic.)ÂÂ  It also varies by how much I've eaten (such as at a wedding) and how far apart I space the drinks.ÂÂ  I try my best not to get to close to the line so to speak, but I agree that line between light buzz and reduced inhibitions and drunkeness is not always well-defined.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 01:50:46 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 09:02:31 PM »

Here is actually a few questions from a program to help people find out if they have a drinking problem. Some are repetitious, but since I saw some of those behaviours posted here, i thought I would post some of them.

Do you ever purposely get drunk/high?
Do you ever go on drinking drug/binges?
Do you ever lie to friends/family/co-workers so you can get drunk/high?
Do you ever skip work/school to get drunk/high or because of a hangover/overdose?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to change your personality?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to get people to like you?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to be more sociable?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to be a more popular person?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to become a different person?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to be entertained/entertaining?
Do you ever drink/use drugs because you are bored?
Do you ever drink/use drugs because you are lonely?
Do you ever drink/use drugs alone?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to "get away" from sorrow or pain?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to have fun/be happy?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to open up to people in ways you would not when sober?
Do you ever drink/use drugs to be able to do things you normally would not when sober?
Are you ever preoccupied with thinking about getting drunk/high while at work/school/church?
Do you ever tell other people, even strangers, about getting drunk/high?
Do you ever forget what you have done when you were drunk/high?
Have you ever had alcohol poisoning/drug overdose?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 09:28:08 PM »

Well, let's see...

I have only been uncomfortably "over-tipsy" once.  (Read about it here if you wanna).

I gotta agree with ania, though; there is a special bond which, good or no, is fostered through drinking together.  I love tequila.  Mr. Joseph Crow, as well as Sr. Sauza and his forefathers, are my friends.  A few shots and I'm relaxed enough to actually hold conversations people can actually relate to (sometimes I'm such a "church geek" or just so uptight because of it that I can make folks uncomfortable; tequila solves this much of the time).  Laughter by all usually ensues because, if I let my guard down, I can actually be a pretty funny guy (so they tell me).

This happens without getting blasted, though--I don't think I'd like waking up with a headache and/or vomit-breath--and I echo the sentiments of others that establishing known limits of responsible drinking is very, very wise.

Also, ditto Augustine's point about responsible, limited drinking being as good a witness (if not better) than total abstinence.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 09:29:31 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »

Best damn topic I've seen here in many a moon.

james, with a controlled buzz...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 11:45:12 PM »

I am a straight-edge through and through. You don't need drugs and alcohol to rock steady.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »

I am a straight-edge through and through. You don't need drugs and alcohol to rock steady.

Straight-Edge is good... most of my friends in highschool were straight-edge... however, they would down gallons of Mountain Dew, and I swear, sometimes their sugar-highs were more interesting than dealing with drunk people. 

BTW, those questions posted above...  By those standards, I'd have to say more than 50% of the world's population are either drunks or druggies.   Roll Eyes

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: