OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:51:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youth of the Apocalypse, and an Introduction  (Read 1783 times) Average Rating: 0
suzannes

« on: May 14, 2005, 08:19:29 PM »

Hello All,

I've new here, I was on the "Other Board," and now I've come here, since this seems like a good source of information and (sane) discussion.

I have a question regarding "Youth of the Apocalypse" and maybe someone here knows the answer.  Justin Marler, who spent seven years in the St. Herman Brotherhood and was one of the authors, is now out in the world.  A few months ago, I emailed him about his new band, The Sabians, and he sent me a very positive response about Orthodoxy, music and some other things.  Shortly after, I heard that his band was no longer together and that his wife had died, shortly after the birth of their child.  This sounded so horribly tragic, I was wondering if anyone knows him, and if he's doing ok.  I'm was just amazed that someone so young would be faced with so much suffering.  I know he did a lot, as far as bringing young people to Orthodoxy, and the relationship between faith and "alternative" culture has been a big issue for me.  Less so now, but my coming to Orthodoxy has been a slow, gradual process.  Anyway, this seems like a nice group.  Thanks for reading.
Suzanne
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »

Hello Suzanne,   
I recently met John Marler at my church in Austin, Texas.  I was also introduced to his wife (who is alive and well!) and little baby girl.  I had the pleasure of talking to him for quite a while and was interested to hear about his new occupation as an author.  I have yet to read his books but I have visited both his websites (the Sabians and cobaltgreen).  Do you happen to know why he left the monastic life in Platina?        Sincerely,  Juliana
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »

I
Do you happen to know why he left the monastic life in Platina? Sincerely, Juliana

I think his wife is probably a good answer to that.Wink Not everyone who goes to a monastery will stay there.

Qui cantat, bis orat
suzannes

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 08:41:13 PM »

Hello Julianna,

Wow, that was an old post, I'd forgotten about it!  I read an interview where John (I guess Justin was his monastic name), where he said that he finished his studies at the monastery and that was why he left.  I'm not sure what circumstances he entered under, as a novice, or what.  He certainly didn't seem disillusioned in any way with his time at the monastery.  I'm glad his with wife is alive and well!!  I wonder how that ended up on the Sabian's site?

(On a side note, our deacon and his wife lived in Austin and attended a ROCOR church was almost all converts.  I wonder is it's the same church you go to?)
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:25:18 PM »

Hello Suzanne, 
I went to the Sabians website and it did indeed say that Justin Marler's wife passed away.  Maybe the woman who was with him (and who was holding his baby girl) wasn't his wife.  I thought he introduced her as his wife...but I could have gotten it wrong.  You were right that he goes by Justin (he uses the name John in his business).  I attend Transfiguration Greek Orthodox church in Austin.  I am aware of 2 Antiochian church here but I was unaware of a ROCOR church.   
May God bless you and your family,   Juliana
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 03:04:27 AM »

Christ is Risen!

There is a new ROCOR mission in South Austin.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 07:08:41 AM »

Wow, that was an old post, I'd forgotten about it!

Old?!  Nah; not even a month!  The stuff that gets dredged up after two, three years of dormancy, now that's old!  Grin

Seriously, though, are there any links to this guy's websites?  You said you'd been there, Juliana...I'm really interested in following any inroads Orthodox youth might be making into "secular," contemporary and/or alternative American cultures.  Good for him.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »

Pedro, Here are a few URLs to check out:

http://www.philthompson.net/pages/monasticism/punkstomonks.html
http://www.philthompson.net/pages/monasticism/deathtoworld.html
http://www.thesabians.com/

I don't know how to make the links work so you can just click on them. Do you know how?  

blessings, Juliana

My goodness! I guess it does it automatically.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 11:02:20 AM by jlerms » Logged
suzannes

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 09:18:58 PM »

I just want to mention that the email I recieved from Justin was very, very positive about Orthodoxy, in fact, he said it was the best thing had every happened to him.  He also said he had a new project he thought was going to be called "Black Veil Choir."  I haven't searched it yet, but check it out.  I really liked The Sabians CD.  I got it in February, then put it aside for Lent.  There are a couple of very intense songs.  The songs though certainly have, what seemed to me at least, a very sincere religious influence.
jlerms
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »

Suzanne,
 I wanted to let you know that I made a mistake about ex-monk Justin Marler's wife.  She did indeed die (her heart just stopped) shortly after giving birth to their child.  The woman I met (Susan) is his wife-to-be.  I apologize for getting this wrong.
Sincerely,   Juliana 
suzannes

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 05:28:42 PM »

Juliana,
Thanks for the update.  What a tragic thing.  I'm glad at least he's found someone.
Tags: Death to the World 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: