If you read history this catholicate became an independent Patraichate called themslfs patraichate of East(mind when they became completely independent they called themselfs Patriachate not Catholicate) and they claim st Thomas linage ( i am not sure howmnay maphriayanos cliamed St Thomas linage and not sure IOC use linage from Nestrian Patriarchate of east or maprinate under patriachate of Antioch and east)
Dear Joe, The St. Thomas lineage is same for Orthodox and Nestorians. Even the Roman Catholic Catholicos-Patriarch of the East follows this lineage. Hudaya Canon also agrees to this. A lineage is understood as succession of Bishops. We cannot appreciate this due to exaggerated authority given to succesoors of St. Peter. Here is the lineage followed by Orthodox Syrian Church of the East (INdian Orthodox):
1. St. Thomas the Apostle (founder) - AD 35-72
2. St. Addai 72-120
3. Mar Aggai 120-152 According to the Doctrine of Thaddeus, an ancient Syriac document popular in Eastern Churches, Mar Aggai succeeded Mar Addai in the "chair" which means 'throne'.
4. Mar Mari 152-85
5. Mar Abrosius 185 - 201
7. Mar Yako 1 172-190 (Alexandrian father Pantaenus visits India and records about Christians and existence of Gospel in India.)
8. Mar Ahha d'Aboui 190-220 (According to Tertullian, by AD 200, there were several bishoprics in the East during this period.)
VACANT (240-317) (But bishops existed. In AD 300, Bishop David of Basra visited India. In AD 311 Emperor Constantine accepted Christian faith.)
10. Mar Papa (Mar Babai) 317-329 (A famous Catholicos of the East. In AD 315 Emperor Constantine sends a letter to Shapur II urging him to protect Christians in his realm. Mar Papa restored as bishop of Seleucia-Ctesiphon with the title "Catholicos of the East".AD 325: First Ecumenical Council of Nicea. James of Nisibis and a Persian bishop from "India" recorded as attending the council.)
11. Mar Shimoun Bar Sabba'e 329-341 (After the departure of Mar Papa and Mar Shimun bar Sabbaeas succeeded as Catholicos. In AD 344, Catholicos Shimun Bar Sabbae suffered Martyrdon along with 5 bishops and 100 priests . KNANAYA migration to India with the permission of Catholicos Mar Shimoun)
12. Mar Shalidoste 341-345 (Suffered Martyrdom in 344. Knayi Thoma and immigrants lead by him arrived Indian coast in AD 345.)
13. Mar Barbashmin 345-346 Suffered Martyrdom in 346
21. Mar Dadisho I 421-456 (AD 431: Ecumenical Council of Ephesus. AS 424 Third General Synod of the Persian Church (Synod of Dadyeshu) confirms Catholicos of the Church of the East as "Patriarch of the East" and asserts him as equal to all other patriarch.
Mar Aqaq-Acace 485-496 (AD 486 Fourth General Synod of the Persian Church (Synod of Acacius) officially adopts Nestorian Christology)
NON-CHALCEDONIAN ORTHODOX REVIVAL
30. Catholicos Mar Ahoudemme 559-77 Elevated Catholicos of the East by St. Jacob Baradaeus. St. Jacob was appointed by Patriarch of Alexandria. Suffered Martyrdom. When St. John of Ephesus reports about this, there is no Antiochian involvement mentioned.
33. Mar Morooso (Tigris) 628 - 49 Reduction of Catholicate to Maphriyanate.
83. Mar Baselios Bahnam in India 1850-60 In the year 1860, after the death of Maphryono Mor Baselios Bahnam IV, the Maphrianate was abolished by a decision of a local synod held by the Antiochian Church.
84. Mar Baselios Paulos 1912-13 (Catholicate revived as St. Mary's Indian Orthodox Church, Niranam, believed as one of the Churches established by Apostle Thomas in India. Catholicate legally and canonically revived with the support of Patriarch H.H. Mar Abded Messih)
86. Mar Baselius Gheevarghese 11 1929-64 (Consitution of 1934 adopted and reconciliation with later Patriarch subject to the consitution).
88. Mar Baselius Mar Thoma Mathews 1 1975-1991 (elected according to the consitution of 1934. The position of Malanakra Metropolitan (Mar Thoma) and Catholicos combined)
89. Mar Baselius Mar Thoma Mathews 11 1991 - present (elected according to the consitution of 1934).