OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerusalem clergy dump patriarch  (Read 7386 times) Average Rating: 0
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2005, 07:11:02 PM »

And then the Georgian Orthodox Church refuses to recognize the decision done at Istanbul:

http://www.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=9974

Complicated the situation gets.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2005, 08:33:32 AM »

Nah.  It's complicated because of our ecclesiology.  We don't have one guy with a hammer telling all the other bishops how to respond to everything.  We actually have a dialog.

Anyway, anything that has to do with Jerusalem will get contentious. 

I wonder who sells more there, Coke or Pepsi?

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2005, 12:11:57 PM »

I wonder who sells more there, Coke or Pepsi?

Oh, Coke.  Definitely.  Coke got the international market years ago. 
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2005, 09:05:50 AM »

Despite the lack of detail in the report linked above and the appearance that the JP actions are clouded, I tend to think that the Church of Georgia is correct here. It seems premature to take these steps based on allegations, unless the synod knows more than we do.

Aside: to the detractors of the EP, please note he is not acting as an eastern pope. I do wish he could be more self-critcal himself, however.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2005, 07:44:31 PM »

IN SEARCH OF A FORMULA FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF A VICAR
Jerusalem, 27 May 2005 (13:21 UTC+2)

The three-member committee temporarily in charge of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem considers today the appointment of a vicar.

No agreement on the issue regarding the appointment of a vicar to oversee the election of a new Patriarch was reached yesterday in the first meeting of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem Holy Synod held after the removal of Patriarch Irenaeus.

The appointment of a vicar follows the decision reached in the Pan-Orthodox Synod in the Ecumenical Patriarchate to remove the name of Patriarch Irenaeus from the diptychs of the Christian Orthodox Church and stop mentioning his name in the Holy Liturgy.

The Greek government has not ruled out the likelihood to take away the diplomatic passport and the police guard of Mr. Irenaeus.

http://www.mpa.gr/article.html?doc_id=529486

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2005, 09:43:27 PM »

More disturbing news. Patriarch Bartholomew is quoted as saying:
"Regardless of whether Eirinaios is guilty, the fact is that the peace of the Jerusalem Church's clergy and laity has been substantially disturbed, so it is patently obvious that peace cannot be restored without sacrifice," http://www.athensnews.gr/athweb/nathens.prnt_article?e=C&f=13132&t=01&m=A05&aa=1
There was another Man in Jerusalem of whom the High Priest Caiaphas said: "it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation should not perish. "
Where is the due process here?

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »

Palestinian ministers clear Greek church ex-leader
(Reuters)

4 July 2005

RAMALLAH, West Bank - A Palestinian ministerial commission said on Monday it had found no evidence that the ex-head of the Greek Orthodox Church in Jerusalem was involved in leasing church property to Jewish investors.

Patriarch Irineos I was ousted in May by the church’s Holy Land hierarchy over the affair, which outraged Palestinians because the property involved is in Arab East Jerusalem which they regard as their future capital.

Irineos has denied the accusations, saying he had nothing to do with any such land sales. He has refused to step down but Orthodox leaders voted in a synod in May to cease recognising him as patriarch. A caretaker successor was appointed.

“Based on the information we obtained, we found no evidence to incriminate Patriarch Irineos I over the deal,” the Palestinian cabinet investigative panel said in a report printed in the al-Quds newspaper on Monday.

The report said Irineos cooperated with the commission.

Palestinians object to any leasing deal or sale of church property in the holy city to Jewish investors, fearing such moves would cement Israel’s grip on East Jerusalem.

The Jewish state captured East Jerusalem in a 1967 war, annexed it in a move not recognised internationally and considers the entire city its eternal capital.

The Greek Orthodox Church in the Holy Land is led by Greek clerics rather than Palestinians, unlike other churches in the region that have opted recently to appoint Arab patriarchs.

Palestinian Christians complain of the monopoly of the Greek over the church and demand a say in decision-making.

The church owns thousands of acres of property in Jerusalem.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2005/July/middleeast_July108.xml&section=middleeast&col=

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2005, 06:03:17 PM »

Patriarch Cleared in Jerusalem Row

By Mohammed Daraghmeh
The Associated Press
RAMALLAH, West Bank -- The embattled Greek Orthodox patriarch in Jerusalem was not involved in the long-term lease of prime Jerusalem properties to Jewish settlement groups in the city, the Palestinian Authority concluded Monday, after an investigation of several weeks.

The findings could signal a turning point in the murky saga of the property deals and help the patriarch, Irineos I, cling to his job. It was not clear to what extent the findings might have been influenced by the Palestinian Authority's attempt to wrest the properties from Jewish hands.

Senior Palestinian officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, have said that their main objective was to cancel the property transactions and that Irineos had been cooperating with them. Church rebels, including leading Greek Orthodox clergymen in Jerusalem, have been trying to fire Irineos, accusing him of involvement in the transfer of two hotels and other properties in East Jerusalem to groups that seek to expand the Jewish presence in East Jerusalem.

Palestinians seek East Jerusalem as a future capital, and the transactions have angered the church's predominantly Palestinian flock.

Irineos has denied involvement and has refused to leave his post. For the past few weeks, he has been holed up in his apartment in the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate in the Old City, while the rebels have prevented him from entering his office in the compound and have been running day-to-day affairs.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/07/05/050.html

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2005, 06:17:57 AM »

Glint of hope for Irenaios on land deal
 Palestinians doubt his guilt

The Holy Synod of the Jerusalem Patriarchate said yesterday that the process to elect a new Patriarch to replace its ousted former head, Irenaios, will begin in just over two weeks, but the ex-Patriarch was cast a lifeline by a Palestinian Cabinet committee deeming him innocent of involvement in the property deals that got him dismissed.

The Patriarchate’s Holy Synod said a special council would convene on July 20 compiling a list of candidates to replace Irenaios, with the aim of naming a successor by the end of August. Irenaios was axed by his own bishops on May 6. Less than three weeks later, his dismissal was confirmed during a rare meeting of the world’s Orthodox leaders in Istanbul.

Since then, the Jordanian government — one of three in the region, along with Israel and the Palestinian Authority, that have the power to dismiss Irenaios — has withdrawn his diplomatic passport.

Irenaios was heavily criticized, especially by Arab Christians, after being linked to the leasing of prime Patriarchate property in Jerusalem’s Old City to Jewish investors. However, it emerged yesterday that the Palestinian Authority appears to have decided that Irenaios was not to blame for the property deals after all.

[In its report, the Palestinian Cabinet committee wrote that it found no evidence that Irenaios was aware of the property deals. “He did not take part in the transactions at any stage and did not receive any money,” the committee wrote in the report, published Monday in the Palestinian Al-Quds newspaper, the AP news agency reported.

The committee also maintained the transactions were illegal because they were not signed by the church’s leadership body, or synod. The committee alleged Irenaios was the victim of a conspiracy by leading clerics and Israeli extremists, who allegedly were trying — each for their own motives — to oust him.

The Patriarchate said in its statement that, to the best of its knowledge, the report in Al-Quds was not the official Palestinian Authority report, but a report drafted by two lawyers acting on Irenaios’s behalf.]

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100012_05/07/2005_58238

Tags: Jerusalem 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: