Author Topic: Holy Dormition and Holy Assumption  (Read 886 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Holy Dormition and Holy Assumption
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
Really, when does the fast end for everyone?  For Copts the last day is 21st, and the feast the 22nd.

The Dormition Fast is from 1-14 August, and the feast is on the 15th.  If your jurisdiction keeps the old calendar, that is 14-27 August, with the feast on the 28th. 

If you had to "translate" the Coptic dates, this would be 25 July-8 August, with the feast on the 9th.  Since the Coptic calendar mostly aligns with the "old calendar" for these purposes, that gives us a fast running from 7-21 August, with the feast on the 22nd.

Why do Copts celebrate the Dormition of our Lady on 16/29 January and the Assumption on 9/22 August?  For the rest of us, both are commemorated on 15/28 August.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Holy Dormition and Holy Assumption
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Really, when does the fast end for everyone?  For Copts the last day is 21st, and the feast the 22nd.

The Dormition Fast is from 1-14 August, and the feast is on the 15th.  If your jurisdiction keeps the old calendar, that is 14-27 August, with the feast on the 28th. 

If you had to "translate" the Coptic dates, this would be 25 July-8 August, with the feast on the 9th.  Since the Coptic calendar mostly aligns with the "old calendar" for these purposes, that gives us a fast running from 7-21 August, with the feast on the 22nd.

Why do Copts celebrate the Dormition of our Lady on 16/29 January and the Assumption on 9/22 August?  For the rest of us, both are commemorated on 15/28 August.
Good question...never really investigated this
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
Actually, if the question concerns January and August, the answer to that I know, sorta.  I do know the "earliest" record of it, which is from St. Theodosius of Alexandria in the 6th century.  As to "why", I do not know.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:05:51 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
Actually, if the question concerns January and August, the answer to that I know, sorta.  I do know the "earliest" record of it, which is from St. Theodosius of Alexandria in the 6th century.  As to "why", I do not know.

I'd appreciate any insight you have on this.  The entries in the Synaxarion for the two feasts are basically identical. 

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »

I'd appreciate any insight you have on this.  The entries in the Synaxarion for the two feasts are basically identical.

Sure...here's an article by Fr. Athanasius Iskander of Canada, where he writes:

The account of the assumption according to St. Theodosius differs from that recorded in the current version of the Synxarion. However, it is the only account that explains the fact that the Coptic Church has always had two separate feasts; one for the "Dormition of the Virgin" celebrated on the 21st of Tobe (January 30) and another feast for the "Assumption of the Virgin" celebrated on the 16th of Misra (August 22). (emphasis mine)

And I believe this is the original homily itself translated.  There was another link of the homily somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »
Yes, this is definitely the homily.  In it the reference of "206 days" between her death and her rising.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
In the Armenian Church, they are the same feast day.  It never occurred to me before that they could be celebrated separately.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
-Sub-
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'étais insensé.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Tous.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
I've long wondered why the August date is so off from other churches too - the Ethiopians/Eritreans celebrate with the Copts, but that's understandable given the long centuries of control over their churches exercised by the Copts. But everywhere else the celebrate is on 15/28 August - why 22 August in Egypt?

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
The fast and feast is the 1st-16th of the Coptic Month of Mesra, rather than the 1st-16th of the Western calendar months.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington