OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:08:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections of a Convert Priest  (Read 571 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: December 03, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

For those of you, particularly OCA converts,  depressed by the events of this summer and fall, I offer this thoughtful, provocative and optimistic blog entry by my good friend and convert, Fr. Jonathan: "The Adoration of the Konvertsky."  There is wisdom in there for ALL of us - regardless of how we came into the Church: http://janotec.typepad.com/terrace/2012/12/the-adoration-of-the-konvertsky.html  "You cannot go back, because that kind of “home” is the sort where “you can never go home again.” As the late Fr. Peter Gilquist once told me, “There is room at the Three-Bar Cross for you.” Yes indeed. “In My Father’s house there are many mansions.” Stay where there is room. Do not check out."
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

very nice article.
although i had to laugh at the idea that orthodoxy was more liberal than 'fundamentalist protestantism'.
i was a very strict (no need to date, certainly no time at home with young man and parents away...) protestant.
so i suppose not so different from the north american 'fundies'.
not until i entered the big bad world of university, did i meet some strange anglicans who believed in evolution Shocked
but my parents made wine, and we were all invited to sample it! this had a beneficial effect, that i never saw a drunken friend
till university (a Christian who drank too much!  Shocked ) as alcohol was definitely not a big deal, as long as u didn't drink the whole bottle.

i suppose maybe it was good that the orthodox church i joined wasn't more liberal, i might have not known what to do with all the 'freedom' like the writer says.
but i invite all those shocked at the excesses of orthodoxy and unable to quite control themselves to visit our (mainly) non drinking, heavy Bible studying brigade over in the coptic orthodox church for a few months. at least till the end of the Christmas fast, so maybe they will have learnt how to channel their freedom with a bit of old fashioned cultural pressure from the natives!

or maybe it's a problem specific to certain countries. i suppose if u have too much freedom, a long, foreign working holiday (only spending as much as u earn) in the 'old country' may reign it in.
 Grin
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »

Lovely - thanks for sharing this.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »

Gee, I wonder who that other "famous convert" was he refers to.  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »

Gee, I wonder who that other "famous convert" was he refers to.  Grin

*blush* Well, I wouldn't consider myself all that famous (it's not like my blog has been picked up by Huffington Post), and the author exaggerates the length of time of my conversion by quite a bit- unless he's talking about someone else (I spend so much time dancing alone that it's entirely possible there are more famous Orthodox out there I haven't heard of- Metropolitan Kallistos hardly seems a likely contender and Steve Robinson has nothing but nice words about his family, so cross those two off the list).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »

Gee, I wonder who that other "famous convert" was he refers to.  Grin

*blush* Well, I wouldn't consider myself all that famous (it's not like my blog has been picked up by Huffington Post), and the author exaggerates the length of time of my conversion by quite a bit- unless he's talking about someone else (I spend so much time dancing alone that it's entirely possible there are more famous Orthodox out there I haven't heard of- Metropolitan Kallistos hardly seems a likely contender and Steve Robinson has nothing but nice words about his family, so cross those two off the list).
[bold added by moi!]

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning (even though it's evening).  Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:40:30 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Wow that's a really good blog. Why did you have to link it? I'm supposed to get some college applications done this week.  Angry

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:55:34 PM »

It didn't help me.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: